Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Student Life
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-19-2007, 05:04 PM

Location: Clinging to the binomial theorem like a drunk to a lamppost
Default Re: Need help picking a major.. tell me about yours!

[ QUOTE ]
quicksilvre, how interesting are your math classes?

[/ QUOTE ]

They can be quite fascinating, especially Analysis. In my Fundamentals of Mathematics class (= introductory Analysis) last year, we had problems like proving how there are as many positive integers or rational numbers as there are integers. You really get a behind-the-scenes look at what you've been doing with math all these years. I found it very thought-provoking.

There are other classes like Diff Eq that are stimulating, too--not so much on the philosophical level, but they have a lot of

moments. They get you into a problem-solving state of mind. Also, classes like Diff Eq are basically the answer to the question of, "What are we learning math for?"--these are the classes where you learn what you need for high-level engineering and science jobs. And even if you don't want/get one of those, the problem solving and logical thought skills make the classes worth it (in my opinion).

And then there are classes like Linear Algebra, which is basically just taking in the pooper twice a week. So they aren't all wonderful.

[ QUOTE ]
i've always had this notion that people with a deep enough understanding of mathematics see the world differently than the rest of the world does.

[/ QUOTE ]

As I mentioned, I believe that math education = clear thinking, though I should mention that I've spent less of today on the problem of maximizing my study time than I have of the problem of whether I should play .5/1 limit, 1/2 limit, or NL25, or the problem of maximizing the amount of cola and snacks I can buy with the money in my wallet. Take that for what it's worth.
Old 09-19-2007, 05:57 PM

[ QUOTE ]
For most people it is very difficult to wade through difficult works (like some Shakespeare, Chaucer, Dickens, etc.) by themselves, so having to do it for class helps a lot. You also miss a TON of stuff if you read it by yourself as opposed to reading it with an expert.

[/ QUOTE ]

could you tell me about something you got from an in-class discussion that you wouldn't have otherwise?

and what sort of long research papers do you do?

to be honest, college is super-expensive and writing/literature/philosophy/poli-sci majors seem to consist of a lot of readings that you could do on your own and talking to a lot of people who would talk to you for free. i.e. i could have a one-on-one discussion with any number of different professors by e-mailing them and it would cost me nothing.

what do you think?
Old 09-19-2007, 06:28 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
For most people it is very difficult to wade through difficult works (like some Shakespeare, Chaucer, Dickens, etc.) by themselves, so having to do it for class helps a lot. You also miss a TON of stuff if you read it by yourself as opposed to reading it with an expert.

[/ QUOTE ]

could you tell me about something you got from an in-class discussion that you wouldn't have otherwise?

and what sort of long research papers do you do?

to be honest, college is super-expensive and writing/literature/philosophy/poli-sci majors seem to consist of a lot of readings that you could do on your own and talking to a lot of people who would talk to you for free. i.e. i could have a one-on-one discussion with any number of different professors by e-mailing them and it would cost me nothing.

what do you think?

[/ QUOTE ]

You seem to be very apprehensive about being an English major, so I just want to make clear I'm really not trying to convince you to become one or anything. It's certainly not for everyone and for a lot of people it could limit your future jobs.

that said, to answer your question, it's really hard to quantify how class discussion helps. Honestly class discussion (when led by students) was the least helpful part of the major. Occasionally it's nice to hear other people's viewpoints, but generally it wasn't that educational. (That's just my personal experience. My professors always said class discussion was so vital, so great for gaining a deeper understanding of the works, etc... it just wasn't how I learned I guess.)

The real benefit comes from the professors. For example, I read Things Fall Apart (a book by an African writer) in high school with a bad teacher and I hated it. Then I read it in college with an African lit expert and loved it. He was able to illuminate parts of the book that the previous teacher couldn't, and I really learned a lot about African culture in that way. That was the case with the majority of books we read.

And yes you could just email professors, but if you're not one of their students I doubt they would spend too much time on their replies, and even if they did, hearing a 30 minute lecture and being able to ask questions in real time is just far superior to asking a few things via email. For some complicated works you probably wouldn't even know the right questions to ask.

Also, props to you if you would, but you clearly could read these works by yourself, but you probably won't.

oh yeah, research papers in English vary a lot. Generally you will read secondary texts in journals written by pretentious literary critics, and then create a thesis that incorporates the text but usually goes somewhat beyond it -- i.e. not just a book review -- (like ...Dickens is arguing that the Industrial Revolution is responsible for... whatever, you get the idea). Then support it, blah blah blah, basic essay stuff.
Old 09-19-2007, 06:44 PM

I majored in Journalism. Don't do it.

The pay will be terrible, and most of the real world doesn't like you.

I think if I could go back, I would major in business, as I feel that gives you the widest range of future choices, while minoring in something you find passioniate and exciting (i.e., english, architecture, music, etc.)
Old 09-19-2007, 06:53 PM

Finance

I like using math, logic, and investigational skills to find investments that beat out the rest of the market.
Old 09-20-2007, 03:05 PM

Physics

I like to solve problems. I like to blow [censored] up. I like math alot, just not the formalism of proof writing and what not, so I get to do that as well.

Additionally physics is such a broad field that you are almost guaranteed to find an aspect that appeals to you.
Old 09-20-2007, 09:12 PM

Statistics

I can't wait to graduate
Old 09-21-2007, 12:59 AM

Location: tell them ill be here when they come 4 me, me and every single n1gga dat got love 4 me, see i got money on my mind, but the haters wont leave me alone, so im ridin everyday wit every pistol dat i own

anyone take sports management as a major?
Old 09-21-2007, 09:53 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Physics

I like to solve problems. I like to blow [censored] up. I like math alot, just not the formalism of proof writing and what not, so I get to do that as well.

Additionally physics is such a broad field that you are almost guaranteed to find an aspect that appeals to you.

[/ QUOTE ]

Physics and Astronomy.

Don't do it.
Old 10-13-2007, 02:02 PM

Sociology, emphasis on criminal justice. Very interesting classes involving punishment, juvenile delinquency, social psychology, etc... Downside is the pay. I'm likely going to grad school next year so I can make some monies. I still recommend it if you're interested in the subject.