Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Tournament Poker > MTT Strategy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-08-2007, 02:18 PM

Default Raising from the BB.. $5

PokerStars No-Limit Hold'em Tourney, Big Blind is t150 (9 handed) internettexasholdem.com

MP1 (t4850)
MP2 (t5570)
MP3 (t3244)
CO (t4745)
Button (t7445)
SB (t875)
Hero (t4045)
UTG (t3740)
UTG+1 (t2190)

Preflop: Hero is BB with Q[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], J[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img].
<font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, MP1 calls t150, <font color="#666666">3 folds</font>, Button calls t150, SB completes, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises to t500</font>, MP1 calls t350, Button calls t350, <font color="#CC3333">SB raises to t950</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises to t4045</font>
Old 08-08-2007, 02:22 PM

Default Re: Raising from the BB.. $5

I don't know if you planned this or not, but either way its sexy and I like it.
Old 08-08-2007, 02:23 PM

The isolation shove is a must I think.

I would raise more the 1st time if I were going to raise from the BB.

On this hand however, I prefer a check PF. We have a nice hand that we would like to see the flop with. If you are going to raise from the BB as a semi-bluff/steal, do it with the worst of hands. Stuff like 93o. Don't do it with a hand that would like to see the flop.

Note that this is just the opposite from the button. On the button you should be more likely to raise these sorts of marginal hands.

There is a whole section on this NLHTP in the concepts and weapons part.
Old 08-08-2007, 02:34 PM

I took this to be less of a steal raise and more of a "I'd like to get heads up with SB with some dead money from the limpers" raise. This is why raising to 500 is such a good amount, it allows SB to push over top and it still be a legal raise, which then allows you to isolate over top of that and push out anybody who limp-called your raise.

Like I said, its a lot of planning and I don't know if this all ran through your head when you did it, but either way I really like it.
Old 08-08-2007, 03:15 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I took this to be less of a steal raise and more of a "I'd like to get heads up with SB with some dead money from the limpers" raise. This is why raising to 500 is such a good amount, it allows SB to push over top and it still be a legal raise, which then allows you to isolate over top of that and push out anybody who limp-called your raise.

Like I said, its a lot of planning and I don't know if this all ran through your head when you did it, but either way I really like it.

[/ QUOTE ]

If this was OP's intention then I absolutely love the play. Personally I would probably still check but I think both are viable options.
Old 08-08-2007, 08:28 PM

bump for more opinions..
Old 08-08-2007, 08:35 PM

[ QUOTE ]
bump for more opinions..

[/ QUOTE ]

Why? I already gave mine. [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

LOL. Also, I am home now and found the section in NLHTP:

"Concept No. 27: When semi-bluffing before the flop, usually do it those times you have one of the best hands you'd otherwise fold. However, when you are in the blinds in an unraised pot, you should usually do it when you have one of your worst hands." p. 264. Italics in original.

BTW, I am not advocating that you raise here with one of your worst hands as the SB is too short for such a play. Rather, I am advocating a call.
Old 08-08-2007, 09:26 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
bump for more opinions..

[/ QUOTE ]

Why? Sherman already gave his. [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

and it was really good as always.
Old 08-08-2007, 11:13 PM

bloating the pot oop w/ a hand you'd like to see a cheap multiway flop with sucks.
Old 08-08-2007, 11:45 PM

[ QUOTE ]
bloating the pot oop w/ a hand you'd like to see a cheap multiway flop with sucks.

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree with this post, I think you are risking too much on this hand, especially at the five dollar level where people who are limping are ususally calling raises with weak hands that could have you beat like A3. Sherman liked the play at certain times so maybe it would work at the higher stakes, but I don't think you have enough FE to make this a +Ev move.

Edit: Another question is what are you going to do on an all undercard flop, or an A high flop. What about something like AJ5? You are going to be involved in too many marginal situations post flop and probably will not be able to take it down with a c-bet.