Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Shorthanded
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-07-2007, 08:10 PM

Default PLZ help me, why do i suck at poker

First stats are 5 max and 6 max

second stats just 5 max

And here is my 5/10 graph [img]/images/graemlins/mad.gif[/img]

I have no idea why i lose so much in the sb and why i win more in the co as otb.

Plz donīt say sample size is to small because obv. i suck at poker.

I try to sit right of my aggro fishes, i make table selection but it is all worthless.

Seriously i hate poker....
Old 08-07-2007, 08:21 PM

Default Re: PLZ help me, why do i suck at poker

I don't think I suck (although I might); but I've had 24k hand stretches where I've had 400 BB losses.

It could be a thing where, due to the losing, you're developping small leaks. That's usually what it is with me.

I'm not sure what specifically it is with you though. Just some food for thought, I suppose.
Old 08-07-2007, 08:21 PM

First of all, sample size. 25k of -1bb/100 is really nothing.

Secondly, I'm guessing your postflop skills are not sufficient to play the LAGTAG style. Your numbers largely look fine, though your river AF seems a 'touch' high (again, sample size). I'd suggest dialing it back a little so you put yourself in fewer difficult spots where you might be a little spewy.
Old 08-07-2007, 08:23 PM

I'm not the best to ask, but 30% VPIP seems kind of high unless you play really well and since you are asking the question....

Also I've been away from SH limit for a while, but isn't defending your BB 50% of the time a little much?

Were you beating 3/6 for a good sample size? I'd figure out what is wrong at a lower limit is it was me.
Old 08-07-2007, 08:24 PM

Looks good.

Do you pay a lot of rake?

You could easily be running bad.

BTW. With good rb, bonii and VIP you would still be making m ney over that sample, so no reason to whine IMO
Old 08-07-2007, 08:28 PM

[ QUOTE ]
but 30% VPIP seems kind of high unless you play really well

[/ QUOTE ]

You cant make a general comment on this since it depends on how many players are at his table on average. I think mine is 37 and I am no LAG

[ QUOTE ]
Also I've been away from SH limit for a while, but isn't defending your BB 50% of the time a little much?

[/ QUOTE ]

Good lord no!

That said, hero should prolly try and tighten up a bit untill he is sure that his postflop skills can handle the LAG/TAG style.
Old 08-07-2007, 08:53 PM

It's possible that variance is playing a part, but what immediately jumps out at me is that you seem to be overly aggressive. You're showing down a lot despite being pretty loose, so an aggression factor around 2.6 seems like overkill. You're also probably taking down a lot of pots UI to be losing so much despite having a 43%+ won$wsf. You could just be getting slammed despite getting a higher than usual % of strong hands, but there are enough red flags for me that I'd dig a little deeper (though my interpretation could largely be down to different styles).

Anyway... this might all be ok if you're routinely playing HU after the flop with nutzo aggro opponents, but even then I'm thinking you need to mix in more passive lines and slow down a bit sooner sometimes.

You might also think about tightening up a in marginal spots for a while to try to slow the bleeding while you regain your footing.

Best of luck and happy pokering.
Old 08-07-2007, 08:55 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
but 30% VPIP seems kind of high unless you play really well

[/ QUOTE ]

You cant make a general comment on this since it depends on how many players are at his table on average. I think mine is 37 and I am no LAG.

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't disagree with statement about general comments, but really all stat posts can be are general comments based on the stats. Also judging from the position stats he was almost always playing 4-5 handed. So how high does your VPIP have to be before you are a LAG?

Anyway my main point was if you are having a tough streak and you are questioning whether or not you are good at poker you may want to lean to the tight side.
Old 08-07-2007, 08:59 PM

I think my high V$IP comes from playing 2,3 and 4 handed ( i donīt play anymore 2 or 3 handed) but iīll try to tighten up.
Old 08-07-2007, 09:47 PM

I don't think I've ever lost money in that many hands since I became a winning player. It makes me a bit nervous to see this, because it might mean that it could happen to me!

However, 250BB's ain't much of a downswing, if you ask me. I've definitely had worse, but they seem to happen in a short period of time. But then again I may be underestimating the number of hands I'm playing. I would check Poker Tracker, but I don't use it anymore.

Your stats look ok, perhaps a bit LAGTAG, so maybe that's where your problems are. It's difficult to play that style well, so if you don't have experience playing straight up TAG, you may be getting into marginal situations that you aren't sure how to negotiate. I think you need to have a handle on TAG strategy first. Then you can loosen up and will be more prepared to handle the more marginal situations. I look at it as having a TAG background, but being slightly looser and slightly more aggressive and image conscious. That's how I try to play. Steal lots, but not too much. Steal lots from the CO, but only with hands that have the proper values. Now I check-raise the turn a lot more than I used to, to discourage my opponents from bluffing at me.

Have you been playing poker long? Do you have experience winning monies? If so, this could just be a rather mild downswing and it's no big deal. I just won 250BB's last weekend. Admittedly it was one of the most memorable short term heaters I've been on, but it happens, just like the 200BB losses. Sometimes I find myself losing 50-100BB's in the first couple hours, only to finish many hours later ahead 50+ BBs. I'll be playing 3 tables when this happens, so it's normal. When you are playing that many hands, you go up and down a lot. It's fun.

Perhaps the 2-4 handed play is causing problems? If that is why your VPIP is higher, perhaps you should filter your stats for 6-max. But didn't you do this by showing stats for both 5max and 6max?

If you are playing a lot 2-3 handed, you are paying a lot of rake and thus would need a rakeback deal if you don't have one. These games are also difficult because the very loose (and often bad) players are playing closer to optimal than they do playing in a 6+ handed game. It's difficult to play properly and that's why I don't do it. I aspire to play heads up and 3-handed. It's only when I feel I've got a good handle on 4-6 handed that I would start playing shorter. In fact, these games are probably the best games to play in if you have a bad player in the game and understand short handed strategy. Then you and some other player can have the one fish to yourselves. This is a better situation than having only one or two bad players in a 6 handed game.

So if this downswing isn't an isolated incident, I would tighten up first and study these boards. If you are playing a TAG style, then you may need to read the boards more and study the game more. But if you don't know why you are losing, you may be playing fine, just unlucky. I sometimes start to question my play during a downswing, but I have so much experience winning that I know it's just a temporary losing period. In these times I try to think a lot about my play, because I don't have the best hand often enough. It's hard to tell what's responsible for this. But generally, by questioning my play more often during a downswing, I learn something to make me a better player.