Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Tournament Poker > STT Strategy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-21-2007, 01:09 PM

Default Re: 22$, Should I push here with ATC?

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
This might be a good spot to raise, but not shove.

[/ QUOTE ]

Notice the stack size.

[/ QUOTE ]

I do notice the stack sizes. I am saying that if you raise say to 1500, and say the btn shoves and gets called by SB and/or BB then you can backdoor into 3rd. Bottom line is if you are going to get called, raising or shoving is irrelevant. If they call a raise to 1500, they will call a shove. But if you raise to 1500, you can get away if there is action, as described preiviously. Its an idea, certainly not great, but neither is OP standing in this SNG. Shoving 84 seems bad and folding isn't great. This idea gives some flexibility.
Old 11-21-2007, 01:16 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
This might be a good spot to raise, but not shove.

[/ QUOTE ]

Notice the stack size.

[/ QUOTE ]

I do notice the stack sizes. I am saying that if you raise say to 1500, and say the btn shoves and gets called by SB and/or BB then you can backdoor into 3rd. Bottom line is if you are going to get called, raising or shoving is irrelevant. If they call a raise to 1500, they will call a shove. But if you raise to 1500, you can get away if there is action, as described preiviously. Its an idea, certainly not great, but neither is OP standing in this SNG. Shoving 84 seems bad and folding isn't great. This idea gives some flexibility.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, it's good to think of all the options.

But in OP's spot he still has a chance to go beyond 3rd or even win. In my example, where Hero is by far the shortest stack the situation is different and the only concern is getting 3rd. OP is throwing away too many chips just to get a chance at 3rd if he folds with ~1500 invested and another push and a caller behind him.

IF I did decide to push here I would consider keeping like 10 chips behind or something silly like that in case everyone behind me pushes (very unlikely I know).
Old 11-21-2007, 01:29 PM

You make some good points Holy. Certainly 1600 chips is a lot different than 500 regardless of the blinds. A fold here does save chips and maybe you pick up a decent hand in the bb, next hand. And maybe the btn or sb get busted this hand. You are right saving chips and taking your chance next hand is probably better, or just sticking it in now.

Good advice and reasoning behind it is appreciated.
Old 11-22-2007, 01:39 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
The raise-and-fold-if-others-go-allin idea is great for situations where you have a really small stack and are only going for 3rd anyway.

Something like this:

Hero 500
Button 3500
SB 5500
BB 4000
Blinds 100/200, Hero is dealt XX (bottom 10% or so)
Hero raises to 490, Button push, SB push, BB fold, Hero fold

[/ QUOTE ]

Ha. Always play to win.

[/ QUOTE ]

Wait. Was this serious?

[/ QUOTE ]

You win many when you're on the bubble UTG with 2.5BB?