Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Shorthanded
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-11-2007, 11:01 PM

Default KQs top pair, 3/6 6max Stars

I haven't posted or played much lately, so I'm very rusty. No significant reads that I recall:

PokerStars 3/6 Hold'em (6 handed) Hand History converter Courtesy of PokerZion.com

Preflop: Hero is BB with K[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], Q[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img].
UTG calls, <font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Button raises</font>, <font color="#CC3333">SB 3-bets</font>, Hero calls, UTG folds, Button calls.

Flop: (10 SB) 9[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], Q[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], 5[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">SB bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, Button calls, SB calls.

Turn: (8 BB) J[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
SB checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, Button calls, <font color="#CC3333">SB raises</font>, Hero calls, Button calls.

River: (14 BB) 6[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">SB bets</font>, Hero folds, Button folds.

Final Pot: 15 BB
Old 06-11-2007, 11:12 PM

Default Re: KQs top pair, 3/6 6max Stars

looks good. calling this river is probably minus one million bets.
Old 06-11-2007, 11:36 PM

cool. I'm not usually one for making tough river folds online in biggish pots, but having a 3rd player in made this one much easier.
Old 06-12-2007, 12:19 AM

Assume you have the best hand on the flop.

1. What range of hands do you put SB on?

2. How many independent outs do you think Button has? Keep in mind that when you are ahead both opponents will often have an ace giving Button zero independent outs.

This hand is best played as a combination of WA/WB (SB) and overcalls (Button). Call the SB down and bet if he checks to you. When you are behind this will avoid the type of stomping you actually received. When you are ahead you will maximize your earn from Button who is likely to pay 2.5 BB to draw nearly dead to a smaller pair or big ace. You may even maximize your earn from SB who could fold a weaker hand if you press too hard.

River: Seems like a close decision at 15-1 with both alternatives being costly. Have you considered that SB may have pocket tens?

You need to plan ahead in poker because the streets are all interrelated. In this case you took a good made hand and built a giant pot. Then you folded for one bet on the river even though the board isn't that scary. That's not how you win.
Old 06-12-2007, 12:31 AM

I dont like the flop line either

stella what would the board have to be for u to want to knock out the button here?

i think the turn and river are pretty good as played tho, i wouldnt call the river as played and we cant fold the turn obviously.
Old 06-12-2007, 12:36 AM

[ QUOTE ]

1. What range of hands do you put SB on?

[/ QUOTE ]
Pre-flop: Top 15-20% of hands to resteal with in a moderately aggressive game

Flop: I think I'm ahead of most of his range, but I'm not sure what the button calls two cold with on this drawless board. I don't have a monster equity edge on anybody at this point.

Turn: I'm behind most of his range once he check-raises two people here, but I resolve to call down bc TT and other random hands are enough of his bluffing range. I lean toward putting him on a monster at this point though. I resolve to call down in a big pot. However, the button calling again throws off my plan.

River: If it were a bluff, I suppose he must fire again, although he is betting into two people. I'm behind most of his range, and at best splitting with button, so I fold not closing the action.
Old 06-12-2007, 12:44 AM

[ QUOTE ]
2. How many independent outs do you think Button has?

[/ QUOTE ]
Hadn't considered this question, but he has 5 outs pretty often. I just bet/raise when I have the likely best hand on the flop, and rarely go for overcalls unless it is the river. I will reconsider that thought process though.

Since I play in a lot of loose passive live games as well, I often think that protection is higher priority than it may be in these shorthanded games.
Old 06-12-2007, 01:00 AM

yeah i'm not folding this until I have a read. 15-1 1st time round, not happening.

He can def have JT/TT/AK here sometimes. People play bad so let them.
Old 06-12-2007, 01:03 AM

"and at best splitting with button"

This is SUPER wrong IMO
Old 06-12-2007, 02:07 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
2. How many independent outs do you think Button has?

[/ QUOTE ]
Hadn't considered this question, but he has 5 outs pretty often.

[/ QUOTE ]
Button has five independent outs very infrequently. A9/A5 is possible but many 3/6 players won't even make this isolation raise. Also SB usually has an ace when you are ahead and then A9/A5 is only two independent outs.

Other cases are an underpair (2 outs), a dominated queen (3 outs), AK/AJ/AT/Ax (0 or 3 outs), and a gutshot (4 outs). Of these only the gutshot is getting decent odds. Remember they can't see your cards so hands like QJ or TT will payoff the river.

Plus half the time you have nothing to protect and driving out the third player is worse than useless. This is a key point. If I strongly thought I was ahead I would get a lot more serious about protecting myself.