Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Tournament Poker > MTT Strategy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-08-2006, 09:32 AM

Default Double belly busters

So, I was playing the $20+2 $3000gtd at cryptologic around bedtime yesterday and got delt KK UTG+2. Raised it up to 400 (blinds 50/100) leaving myself with 1300 and got 4 callers (MP,SB,BB). Flop 8JQ, checked to me, I push, and BB calls with A10, river 9.

"He called me with an inside straightdraw, lame," I thought and went to bed. But when I woke up this morning i realized, oh, he had a DBB, I never spot those.

So I'm wondering, for example if im holding 56, and the flop comes 379, I want the first thought that pops into my head to be DBB sweat. Is there any "training" I can do realize this?

And last a math question. how often do you flop DBBs with 78 as opposed to OESDs. Same question for 79.
Old 09-08-2006, 09:51 AM

Default Re: Double belly busters

Get Super System 1. It has a whole appendix in DBBs.
Old 09-08-2006, 01:22 PM

Whenever you aren't in a hand...think about all the big draws possible. If the first thing that comes to mind is, there is a gutshot with this, a gutshot with that...put 2+2 together and see if there is a DBB.

I like to think about what the big monster hand AND the big drawing hand is on every flop...I ask, what is the nuts? What are the draws?
Old 09-08-2006, 02:04 PM

Honestly, I think practice is really the best way to learn to spot them. Playing lots of poker works (Omaha might be really good for spotting all sorts of draws), but when I first started playing I would take a deck of cards and just deal flops to identify the nuts and any big draws.

As for how often they come up:

For 78 you will flop an OESD on a 56x, 69x, or T9x board where the x doesn't complete your straight. So thats (4*4*40)*3 = 1920 possible flops (out of 19600, so you flop one about 10% of the time)

You flop a DBB when the board is exactly 46T or 59J (4*4*4)*2 = 128 possible flops so only about .6% of the time. If fact with a no-gapper you are actually more likely to just flop your straight than a DBB (twice as likely).

For a one-gapper like 79, you flop an OESD with 68x or 8Tx. Thats 4*4*40*2= 1280 flops.
But one gappers actually do make a few more DBBs: 58J, 356, or TJK - 192 flops.

(Obviously not all of these draws are equal, for the OESD the x could pair the board, or the flop could be monotone, and certainly no one should be putting in many chips with 79 on a TJK flop)