Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > High Stakes
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-31-2006, 01:58 PM

Default QQ hand against unpredictable name pro/donkish type.

You are playing HU vs. what seems to be a cash game donk who may or may not be marcel luske (im really not sure, but i know at least sometimes it is/was him).

You witnessed him playing the following hand, when the game was short handed, a few hands ago.

button limps, name pro calls (10k stack) in SB, BB (5.2k) raises it up to 500, button folds, name calls.

flop comes Qd 9c 4d name pro checks, BB thinks and shoves for 4700 into 1100ish pot.

name pro insta calls with Ad6d and hits his flush. nh

so the game breaks,and its you and name pro. You pick up QQ first hand in the BB, and name pro raises the button. You repop to 900, and he quickly calls.

flop comes Kh 5d 3s you bet 1500 into 1800 pot standard i would think.

he thinks for 5-6 seconds and calls. Turn brings 8h. You aren't really sure where you stand at this point, so you check (does anyone like a bet here??).

name pro thinks and bets 1700 into 4800 pot (???) what is your action?

lets say you call river brings a 2, you check, and he thinks for 6-7 seconds and shoves. what do you do?

thanks,
tc
Old 08-31-2006, 02:05 PM

Default Re: QQ hand against unpredictable name pro/donkish type.

Stacks? How big is the shove? I probably call the turn and check the deuce river either way, then call or fold the river bet based on reads/my mood.
Old 08-31-2006, 02:14 PM

In this situation I check call both the turn/river OR check raise the turn.
Old 08-31-2006, 02:25 PM

Is his call in hand #1 that bad? Without knowing the player I'd except to see JT and lower flush draws here sometimes.
Old 08-31-2006, 02:34 PM

Taylor,

In the other hand you witnessed, even if villain were to have turned KK face up, A6s has about 45% equity allin on the flop for even money and the pot odds make it +EV to call.

WRT your hand, I am going to the felt there HU but would check the turn as you did to try to get him to put some more money in when behind and then either lead the river or c/c if I thought he would for sure bet a worse hand or bluff. If he has a K or something else that beats you that's just the way it goes.
Old 08-31-2006, 02:50 PM

for those that talked about the previous call - you are right. the call itself isn't horible but limp calling A6s OOP against a guy with 50 bb's is pretty bad, and the other player was playing pretty straightforward after the flop (not mentioned obviously). it just seemed like a situation to me where yes, it is probably the right call, but he shouldn't even be in that situation and should definitely at least think about the call ,rather than making an insta decision.

my stack in this situation is 10k.

and i hate a check/raise on the turn. if i am ahead, i can't think of very many scare cards on the river that would make me fold the best hand (besides maybe an ace), and if i am behind, i have most likely 2 outs.

any other insight is appreciated.

tc
Old 08-31-2006, 02:57 PM

Does anyone check the flop?
Old 08-31-2006, 03:03 PM

This is one of those spots where I tend to make big call downs. It likely when you check call check that you have a marginal hand, and folding on the end to a player who may be testing you or pushing you off your most likely hand is dubious. I think you need more history between you before you can take another line here. Yeah, I think this is a painful spot where you just have to grit your teeth and call because everything else sucks more.
Old 08-31-2006, 03:05 PM

[ QUOTE ]
and i hate a check/raise on the turn. if i am ahead, i can't think of very many scare cards on the river that would make me fold the best hand (besides maybe an ace), and if i am behind, i have most likely 2 outs.

[/ QUOTE ]

That is why I advocated a c/c on the turn and then the same on the river if you are sure he would bet a worse hand/bluff or a river lead if you don't think that. And this is precisely in order not to get stacked only when behind. However if you are behind you have more than 2 outs a lot of the time because he can have 2 pair that gets counterfeited.
Old 08-31-2006, 02:56 PM

[ QUOTE ]
lets say you call river brings a 2, you check, and he thinks for 6-7 seconds and shoves. what do you do?

[/ QUOTE ]12k into 8k pot? He thinks you have vulnerable decent showdown hand and you're gonna fold. Calllllllll. Methinks 56 suited. He was gauging your strength with the turn bet.

Or maybe he thinks you think this and he has 55/33

Me no think so this time though