Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics

Old 11-28-2007, 07:59 PM

Default Re: Examples of why your dad is/was awesome

Gayest thread everrrrr
Old 11-28-2007, 08:44 PM

Noah - your dad is a [censored] huge luckbox. And pretty awesome by the sound of it.
Old 11-28-2007, 09:18 PM

<3 opportunities to brag about my dad.

I guess I kinda win this one. Those that know my old posts and trip reports know about my dad getting sworn in by the Governator, me meeting him, and taking pictures with the Conan sword. And I've met him a bunch of times since then. I'm also fairly sure that my dad writing the budget for the state of california, although geeky, is sweet. Who wants a raissseeeeeeeeeeeeee?!??!?!?

Watching him benchpress 300 pounds as his 50th Bday present to himself was pretty sweet too.
Old 11-28-2007, 09:38 PM

- My dad has worked 60 hours a week for my whole life. Me and my sister had all the stuff the other kids has because my dad worked like a mule.

- My dad taught himself to speak English. He works in a factory where all of the employees speak Italian who refuse to learn to speak English. My dad said [censored] it, if I'm gonna live here I'm gonna learn to communicate. He started by watching Sesame Street with us, and now he is perfectly fluent (with a thick accent).

- My dad gave me a passion for reading. We didn't have a lot of money when I was a kid, so we would go to the library. It was our time together every Saturday. I still cherish those trips.

- I remember what he told me when I was seven: "Just because you come from a long line of peasants and farmers, it doesn't mean that's where your destiny lies." Most of my friends' parents were the opposite. They would encourage their kids to skip school to pick up some hours at a [censored] part time job. My dad truly wanted better for me, which is something all parents say, but very few actually act on.

- My dad is the only person in my family that thought it was a good idea for me to quit my good paying job to go back to school. His attitude has always been that an education is never a waste of time.

- Robert DeNiro did his best impression of my dad in "A Bronx Tale."

- Nothing brings my dad down. His life has been pretty [censored] (I wouldn't be able to do things he has), but he still smiles all the time. He's happy with what he has, and doesn't begrudge anyone for what they have.

I am 33 years old now, and I just recently started getting close to my dad. For years I tried so hard to be like him, but I realized that I never could, and more importantly, he doesn't want me to. He is proud of the man I've become, and the part he had to play in it.

My dad has never done anything extraordinary, he has never been in the paper, or made a lot of money. What he has done is be a good man, a good husband, and a good father.
Old 11-28-2007, 09:41 PM

I never saw my dad eat.
Old 11-28-2007, 09:55 PM

GR,

Lots of respect for the man you describe, especially::

[ QUOTE ]

- My dad taught himself to speak English. He works in a factory where all of the employees speak Italian who refuse to learn to speak English. My dad said [censored] it, if I'm gonna live here I'm gonna learn to communicate. He started by watching Sesame Street with us, and now he is perfectly fluent (with a thick accent).

[/ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]
- Nothing brings my dad down. His life has been pretty [censored] (I wouldn't be able to do things he has), but he still smiles all the time. He's happy with what he has, and doesn't begrudge anyone for what they have.

[/ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]
What he has done is be a good man, a good husband, and a good father.

[/ QUOTE ]

Sounds like an awesome guy.
Old 11-28-2007, 10:28 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
all the other stuff i've seen is all in good fun i guess but i'm just saying i'd be very pissed if someone put a bumper sticker on my car especially if i had a nice car.

didn't mean to rain on everyone's dad parade but if i came in here and was like,

"my dad was awesome because of that one time when we killed that hobo together and didn't tell anyone."

i'm sure someone would say something

[/ QUOTE ]
Do you really not see the difference between the two?

[/ QUOTE ]

ok how about me and my dad keyed some guy's car? or put shaving cream on it so it ate away at some of the paint?

the difference just vanished.

[/ QUOTE ]
I'm gonna drive by your house today and smash your mailbox.

[/ QUOTE ]

bring it nath and you can kiss those three teeth goodbye

[/ QUOTE ]

Moderator has already been notified of this post.

[/ QUOTE ]

lol at a schoolyard scrap breaking out in "why my dad is awesome" thread.
Old 11-28-2007, 10:58 PM

Well these submissions are destined to be unique:

- Snuck me out of the house after my mother went to bed when I was ~8-10 to take me to nearby bars and play sit-down Pac-Man with him. He was really hooked on that game. I memorized the patterns up until the ninth key though so I was at least as good as he was.

- used to force me to play UNO, Backgammon, Master Mind, and other games with him when I was in the 10-12 age range. He often made me stay up until 2-3AM playing these games with him for his entertainment. Actually, I didn't consider that awesome at the time, but it's kinda funny after the fact. Also, whenever I beat him in UNO, which was often (yeah, Skip-UNO-out bitch!) he would declare a "Giant Game" and we had to play longer OR he would declare it was "an exhibition" and therefore didn't count.

- used to watch the Playboy Channel with me while we played said games. When a money shot was about to happen he would stop play and announce "hold on, cum scene".

- let me smoke cigars on the golf course with him when I was >5 years old. One specific time we played through a group and someone was overheard saying "that's a pretty good golfer for a midget".

- referred to the remote control for the TV as "the utensil". Usually in an authoritative manner, as in "give me the utensil".

- smoked pipe tobacco, mostly Borkum Riff. Very fragrant. He used an actual full-size flowerpot next to where he sat on the couch to empty it out. On more than one occasion he called the nearby grocery store and told them he was sending his son with a note to buy pipe tobacco. They sold it to me every time.

- once blew up a toilet at a hotel with an M-80. While trying to put it back together, he cut himself. Thinking fast, he called the lobby and told them the toilet broke and he got cut in the process...they hooked him up with the Presidential Suite for the rest of the trip.

- once leased a car and drove it around the country. Went way over on miles. Ended up jacking it up in reverse in our garage and backed about 80% of the miles off of it before turning it in. It took him weeks.
Old 11-28-2007, 11:01 PM

[ QUOTE ]
- once leased a car and drove it around the country. Went way over on miles. Ended up jacking it up in reverse in our garage and backed about 80% of the miles off of it before turning it in. It took him weeks.

[/ QUOTE ]

I thought this didn't work. That Ferris Bueller is full of [censored] man.
Old 11-28-2007, 11:03 PM

[ QUOTE ]
- used to watch the Playboy Channel with me while we played said games. When a money shot was about to happen he would stop play and announce "hold on, cum scene".

[/ QUOTE ]

lol.

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

ferris bueller told me this doesn't work. why should i believe you?