Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-01-2007, 06:10 PM

Default First time i trained boxing.

Today was the first time and holy [censored] was i unprepared.
First of all i had two salami sandwiches about 1 hour before training. Twenty minutes in i wanted to vomit. I didn't.
The practice lasted one hour and twenty minutes and at the end i could barely stop my arms and hands from shaking.
I vomited just before hitting the showers.
My holy body is aching and i love that. I am going to sleep like a baby tonight.
Next practice is on Wednesday. I can't wait.
Old 10-01-2007, 06:13 PM

Default Re: First time i trained boxing.

for people who have never boxed, it's a shock. you may be able to shadowbox or hit the heavybag for hours w/o getting tired, but when someone is trying to hit you back, a minute feels like forever...

stick with it..
Old 10-01-2007, 06:46 PM

Salami before training, nice. What kind of shape are you in now, are you getting this tired just learning proper technique or have you done all that and this was your first sparring session? I'd like to give it a try, but as a 5'10 heavyweight not named Mike Tyson I'd have to get in much better shape before even thinking about it.
Old 10-01-2007, 06:58 PM

This was the first time i ever tried it. I am 185 and 74 kg. Am in decent shape but i haven't exercised in a while so this really affected me. Also i did not eat properly or in decent time before the practice. Next time i will be well prepared.
Old 10-01-2007, 07:56 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Salami before training, nice. What kind of shape are you in now, are you getting this tired just learning proper technique or have you done all that and this was your first sparring session? I'd like to give it a try, but as a 5'10 heavyweight not named Mike Tyson I'd have to get in much better shape before even thinking about it.

[/ QUOTE ]

I would suggest you just give it a try. I started Muay Thai when I was 390lbs. I felt like I was going to die, but I never had such a great workout. I've learned a lot, and had much more gun than just going to the Gym. I'm now 340 and droping.

Anyway, my point is that being out of shape is not a good excuse not to start. You actually stand to benefit even more.
Old 10-01-2007, 09:52 PM

jstnrgrs is right, theres never a better time than the present. i'm not saying jump right in a start sparring, but you can at least start off learning technique hitting the various bags, working on footwork, etc.

i've always been of the opinion that you learn alot about yourself through really strenuous exercise, and its never been truer for me than with boxing.
Old 10-01-2007, 11:21 PM

I think everyone man should be punched in the face at least once
Old 10-02-2007, 12:31 AM

I had a buddy who was a pretty good amateur boxer. One summer he offered to do some training with me a few times a week. That [censored] is an insane workout. Wait until you actually get some sparring in, you'll be twice as tired.
Old 10-02-2007, 06:39 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I had a buddy who was a pretty good amateur boxer. One summer he offered to do some training with me a few times a week. That [censored] is an insane workout. Wait until you actually get some sparring in, you'll be twice as tired.

[/ QUOTE ]

I can't wait. How did you do?
Old 10-02-2007, 07:38 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I would suggest you just give it a try. I started Muay Thai when I was 390lbs. I felt like I was going to die, but I never had such a great workout. I've learned a lot, and had much more gun than just going to the Gym. I'm now 340 and droping.

Anyway, my point is that being out of shape is not a good excuse not to start. You actually stand to benefit even more.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yo check the travel thread and get your ass to Thailand. You can train Muay Thai there for $30 US/day with food with former thai boxers holding pads for you and instructing you. If so inclined you could train at the same gym as Buakaw or various other champions (though not always the best idea).

I'm in a bit different situation (6'5, 175 pounds), but ya Muay Thai gets you fit fit fit. Everyone should try it out it's so fun to train even if you don't fight.