Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Tournament Poker > MTT Community
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Closed Thread

Old 07-31-2007, 05:05 PM

Default I won a 5k freeroll and now may need

additionaly staked. First of all I hope this type of thread isnt against 2+2 policies, if it is im sorry and please delete the thread....

No i didnt lose the prize money or blow it on somehting stupid. My prize consists of a $3000 pokernews cup tournaament entry, 6 nights at a hotel and $1500 for airfare and expenses. The problem is that any flight is going to be over $2000 (the lowest i've searched is $2200 roundtrip st louis-melbourne). Being a poor college kid, it will be tough to fork over an additional $700-$1200 for flight, food, and sight seeing the days the tourney is not taking place.

I'm looking for someone to cover my flight costs and then split any possible winnings i make with them, but i dont know how to go about this. If anyone knows much about finding a staker and the process, i would like to hear there opinions. I couldn't imagine asking someone i knew if they wanted to do this and i'm baffled as to what i should do.
If i cant find a staker i guess my credit card will end up being charged for the left over cost but this is a worst case senario. Any ideas?
Old 07-31-2007, 05:13 PM

Default Re: I won a 5k freeroll and now may need

Are you allowed to sell your package? Theres always that option seeing as it would appear that amount of money would be huge for you.
Old 07-31-2007, 05:16 PM

First off, congrats on the win!

My best recommendation is to try to seek a cheaper flight. $2000 sounds awfully hefty for a flight that is over 2 months away. The PokerNews Cup is in late October, right?

Try some of these links:

http://www.fatwallet.com/t/63/312271/
http://www.travelhub.com/airfares/intl.html
Old 07-31-2007, 05:18 PM

If you're that poor then sell your prize for a reasonable price. I'm sure you're more likely to find a buyer than a backer.

Plus unless you are exceptional at live poker the odds you will cash will be -EV compared to selling your place.

Just my two cents to get you a bit of cash, sometimes these prizes (as you have found out) aren't what you expect them to be.
Old 07-31-2007, 05:20 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Are you allowed to sell your package? Theres always that option seeing as it would appear that amount of money would be huge for you.

[/ QUOTE ]

god damn, it took me longer to write my post than it took for me to check for replies [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]

very slick Mr Bond!
Old 07-31-2007, 05:25 PM

You can simply choose not to go at all and just keep $1500 you got as cash.
Old 07-31-2007, 05:39 PM

Thanks for the well wishes...Acutually the site says the package is non-transferable. My parents and others have suggested that i just keep the $1500 too and not go but i figure in 20 years i will care more about a free trip and poker tourney in Austraila than the little bit a cash that seems like a lot right now. I dont go on vacations very often so this seems like a good experiece even if i get knocked out the first hand (i'd have 5 days of free vaction left).
Old 07-31-2007, 05:42 PM

live life young blood live life!
Old 07-31-2007, 05:44 PM

Why don't you just sell a couple of % of your seat. Say you can sell 50%, $30 per %, that gives you an additional $1500 cash.
Old 07-31-2007, 06:08 PM

"Why don't you just sell a couple of % of your seat. Say you can sell 50%, $30 per %, that gives you an additional $1500 cash. "

so you're saying try to get a bunch of people to put up a small amount of money each, right?
Closed Thread