Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Brick and Mortar
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-07-2007, 03:21 AM

Default How shady is this? Some, a little, or not at all?

2-5 NL, 10-handed. I'm in MP w/ AK. Two limpers to me, I throw in $35, but the guy to my right still has his cards (hidden behind his stack from my perspective). I forget exactly what he said, but in telling me that my raise was out of turn, the dealer implied that it was binding (though, apparently, this is not the correct ruling in this cardroom).

In the meantime, I'm looking at the guy on my right and I see that he was counting out a raise. Now, however, he just calls. My raise to $35 stands, there's a call in LP, folds back to the guy on my right, who raises to $100.

Obviously, this is my fault for not keeping track of the action in front of me. However, given that, how shady is it for the other guy to take advantage of the situation the way he did? I know it's not the most awful thing in the world, but it left a bad taste in my mouth.
Old 05-07-2007, 03:23 AM

Default Re: How shady is this? Some, a little, or not at all?

It's not at all shady. It's exactly what a player should do every time a player on his left raises out of turn.
Old 05-07-2007, 04:10 AM

Sounds like you got owned because you made an error. I would hope that your goal would be to do the same some day in the future because you should always take advantage of your opponent's mistakes.
Old 05-07-2007, 04:44 AM

Common sorta event, seen every dozen or two hours of play. (Or last night at Caesars, about every 20 minutes from a single player who would get so excited when he had a good hand he'd fire outta turn every time--yet people kept calling him with crap.)

Yes, the out of turn raise is often going to be ruled binding if the in-turn player folds or calls. Yes, being limp-reraised after that sucks. But it's not 'xactly shady. Next time look around BEFORE you put in the bet instead of after.
Old 05-07-2007, 05:07 AM

Sucks. You can't expect him to make a less profitable play bc you did not know he was in the hand. He shouldn't have his cards behind his stack though. But still , not so shady.
Old 05-07-2007, 09:56 AM

[ QUOTE ]
but the guy to my right still has his cards (hidden behind his stack from my perspective).

[/ QUOTE ]

Was the player to your right dealt in? YES

Did he muck his cards? NO

Should you have put the above two together and realized that, even if you did not see his cards, he was still in the hand? YES

Snooze --> Lose
Old 05-07-2007, 10:13 AM

Watch the action on your right. I won't make any move until I see both blinds and all action before me.

Oh and I'll do the same thing in tournaments, especially when someone screws up and bets an oversized chip intending to raise (I totally screwed with a guy's head Saturday - he did this and I raised with air behind him, he figured I had to have aces since I knew he wanted to raise and still did).

And there's absolutely nothing shady about what he did, poker is a game of exploiting other people's mistakes. You made the mistake and got exploited. Learn from it.
Old 05-07-2007, 01:16 PM

Not shady. Your bad. I play it the same way he did.
Old 05-07-2007, 03:29 PM

Ok, I guess the concensus is that the guy didn't do anything at all wrong. Fair enough.

[ QUOTE ]
And there's absolutely nothing shady about what he did, poker is a game of exploiting other people's mistakes.

[/ QUOTE ]

It's not that he was exploiting the mistake that bothered me, it's that he was exploiting the rule -- he heard the dealer say that my raise was binding, so he disregarded the raise he had counted out and threw in a call. If he was just taking advantage of the information I dropped by acting out of turn, I wouldn't have cared.
Old 05-07-2007, 04:33 PM

What rule was he exploiting, the dealer's ruling about your raise being binding?

If so than that is a unique ruling that was made because of your mistake. In other words, had you not made the mistake, there would be no need for the ruling, and nothing for the other player to take advantage of.

No matter how you cut it, you screwed up here by betting out of turn. You can't blame the other guy here for taking advantage of it. It is part of the game and would be considered weak if they did not take advantage.

The other player did nothing wrong, you did. Learn from it and move on...