Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > The Lounge: Discussion+Review
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-28-2007, 12:40 AM

Default Re: ** Lounge Poker Talk **

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I might be interested in joining. Is there money and prop bets involved?

[/ QUOTE ]
Also from the e-mail:

"Cash money - with 10 players it will be a 175 dollar win 50 for second 25 for 3rd, when we get our tenth player I will gather the cash. (probably stars transfer)"

Nothing too serious.

[/ QUOTE ]

the 25 bucks is to keep the game honest and every one interested

Current line up of players

Dids
RJ
Tugger
Cardo
NT!
miajag
BostonZak
Me (duh)
Kipin

I tried to get thinman to join but he said he was in to many other leagues [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

Wish I was in SStakes more these days so I could have got in on this.
Old 08-29-2007, 04:28 PM

Note to self: never play heads up limit again. Ever.
Old 08-29-2007, 04:38 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
trip report?
Old 08-29-2007, 04:51 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Ain't it like, keep in with the top 40% of hands whatever happens?
Old 08-29-2007, 04:54 PM

Most people who are good at HULHE play much more than 40%. More like 60-90%, depending on style.
Old 08-29-2007, 04:55 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
trip report?

[/ QUOTE ]

Sure. After losing 50bb over the past 24 hours I decided to take a shot a play some 1/2 HU limit. Which, for most of you, is probably like playing a penny game. But it's definitely outside my bankroll (I don't know what the proper roll is for heads up, but I'm sure its higher than the standard 300 bbs).

Anyhoo - things started out okay, but within an hour I was down $400. Just like that. Which is roughly just over half my roll on Stars at the moment. I realized that its just too easy to tilt playing heads up, AND I have no idea really how to play heads up. I reached a point (and I'm sure we've all been there) where you don't even think anymore. It's like you know you're being stupid and donktastic and what not, but you just keep hitting that raise button.

So then what do I do? The most illogical thing possible obviously and took a shot at 3/6. Where I got dealt AA three times in 15 minutes and lost with all three. But I can't even blame the cards for the most part.

Sigh. Back to the microlimits. I wish I had the patience to play full-ring, but I just can't handle how slow it is.
Old 08-29-2007, 04:57 PM

if you're bored by playing any FR game (limit or no limit) and you're tight, just load up 12 tables. That's not that boring.

EDIT: Eh, you probably can't do that at limit, right? Cos there's not 12 tables running at one level.
Old 08-29-2007, 05:04 PM

[ QUOTE ]
if you're bored by playing any FR game (limit or no limit) and you're tight, just load up 12 tables. That's not that boring.

[/ QUOTE ]

There's the problem. I can't handle playing more than 3 tables at once. My brain goes on overload. I blame years of heavy substance abuse.
Old 08-29-2007, 05:14 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Does anyone here play heads-up limit? I tried it out today and it just seems like bingo. I'm sure there ARE strategies involved, but it mostly looks like the truest form of poker gambling. And the variance is (obviously) insane.

[/ QUOTE ]

I play a little, mostly when I'm trying to get a 6 max table going (if there is one really bad reg sitting alone at a table, this is a goldmine, as the table tends to fill with other non-hudbot types), and the game is more about, for lack of a better term, a "narrative" and bait-and-switch. You have to remember what you've showed a guy and change it up. Or make him think you're changing it up. I imagine it's similar to the thought process of being a successful baseball pitcher.

That said, I couldn't/can't do it at meaningful stakes for any extended period because it's massively frustrating and mentally exhausting.
Old 08-29-2007, 07:15 PM

dude,

I really hope you take something from that experience other than "HU is really swingy!". You just went over the playbook verbatim for why most players lose at poker. In this day it isnt because they are clueless, there are soo many books and magazines and tv shows that most everyone has at least some clue how to play, It's because they play outside of their skill level and underolled. There are sooo many losing players who could be winners if they had the discipline to practice bankroll managment.

Starting over at poker and grinding out a roll playing limit for the last few months I've played everything from 2/4 to 50/100 and since there arent many tables most of the time Im playing across several different limits. And I think the majority of my profits at each level have come from people who were playing a level or two below, won some cash and moved up. Theyd eventually dump it off, and a week later I'd see them back to where they used to play grinding it out so they could do the same thing over again. lather rinse repeat. It was really kind of shocking to me just how frequent it is. Im sure its always been that way and I just never noticed it because there were sooo many games and I wasnt forced to play several limits at once. But in the old days I think most of the money came from fresh faces who singed up for a deposit bonus or whatever, had no clue how to play and shoveled away their money. It was easy to get money in and out, and it was super easy to make money. Those days are gone (at least for now) so its even more important to be disciplined.

Im just rambling now, and you prolly already know all this, I dont mean to kick dirt in your eye or anything, but ask yourself what you really want to get out of poker. If its actually to make a profit, then stop making the same mistakes you just made. Practice good discipline and set aside some time for actual study and improvement and not just mindless 8 tabling, so that when your roll allows and you do take a shot at the next level, youve got the skills to make money there to.