Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Sporting Events

View Poll Results: OP's Buddy is a
Wimp 37 36.27%
Moran 40 39.22%
Jerk 25 24.51%
Voters: 102. You may not vote on this poll

Old 11-14-2007, 12:13 AM

Default Re: Official NBA Season Thread

If we want to figure out which team was the best in the regular season, don't we want to take into account injuries?

Also, yeah, garbage time counts. Unfortunately, Point differential correlates with future win % MORE than win % does.

And it's not like it was a small difference. The Spurs were a full point better than the Suns and the Mavs.

Also, I'm pretty sure the Spurs were the favorite heading into the WCF despite the Suns having HFA? Anyone care to explain why that happened except the Spurs were the better team?
Old 11-14-2007, 12:18 AM

3. I don't think anyone is using the fact that the Spurs won in the playoffs to presume that they were the best team in the NBA last season. That would make me hypocritical. But it certainly doesn't help your argument to say that the Spurs won the playoffs (which admittedly, can be a pretty significant sample size), so the Mavs and Suns are better?

2. This is the same as the wins argument. The team that wins the most in the regular season is not always the best team. It usually is, but I mean, PF-PA is a better stat for this type of stuff. It really is.
Old 11-14-2007, 12:18 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Also, I'm pretty sure the Spurs were the favorite heading into the WCF despite the Suns having HFA? Anyone care to explain why that happened except the Spurs were the better team?

[/ QUOTE ]

NOPE, Suns were significant favorites before the series. Suns were also significant favorites after game 4 before the suspensions were announced, then were significant dogs after they were announced. Any other questions?
Old 11-14-2007, 12:19 AM

[ QUOTE ]

NOPE, Suns were significant favorites before the series. Suns were also significant favorites after game 4 before the suspensions were announced, then were significant dogs after they were announced. Any other questions?

[/ QUOTE ]
Seriously? Plz to be looking this up?

Edit: Yeah, you're right.
Old 11-14-2007, 12:20 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
Seriously? Plz to be looking this up?

[/ QUOTE ]

yes, seriously, Spurs were favored over the Suns in their series in 04-05, not last year. Books got both of them right.
Old 11-14-2007, 01:34 AM

God Indiana and Charlotte are so gross to watch. Thank god those Houston and PHX games came on. Darko had a great game vs Yao, good win for Memphis. They really have some nice pieces. and LOL at NY, what a bunch of knuckleheads
Old 11-14-2007, 01:35 AM

Lemme interrupt this gay debate if I may:

OMG GOGOGOGOGO Blazoids!!!! Dallas and Detroit, get some! Unh unh unh!

I would manually pleasure Kevin Pritchard if he'd let me.
Old 11-14-2007, 01:47 AM

tuq-

Despite being a huge Spurs homer, I agree with you that luck played a large part in the Spurs winning last year. Just as it did the year before when Miami won, and the year before that, and the year before that... But I've said it before and I'll say it again: Stop raising the Mavs up so much. They couldn't get past an eight seed, they don't deserve to be mentioned in talks about beating the Spurs or Suns later in the playoffs. They have to earn it, and they didn't.
Old 11-14-2007, 02:08 AM

umm..? Like in '06?
Old 11-14-2007, 03:13 AM

Hey, what do you think of this bet? My friend wants Texas, I get rest of NBA. he's offering 1:1. Is this a good bet for me? (I was thinking no, actually, which is sick, but to me Spurs ~22%, Mavs ~18%, Rockets ~14%, so I'd be taking the short end of it) Would anyone here take it?