Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Full Ring
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

View Poll Results: Who wins the 2006 Sports Illustrated Sportsman of the Year Award?
Billy Donovan 1 1.67%
Vince Young 2 3.33%
Italy's WC Team 1 1.67%
Bill Cowher 0 0%
Roger Federer 11 18.33%
Dwayne Wade 5 8.33%
Tony La Russa 1 1.67%
Paul Tagliabue 2 3.33%
George Mason men's bb team 4 6.67%
Tiger Woods 28 46.67%
"Game of Shadows" writers 3 5.00%
Other 2 3.33%
Voters: 60. You may not vote on this poll

Old 11-30-2007, 06:04 AM

Default Re: Any Full Tilt regulars on here? NL 200 and NL 100

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Narena is the button, UTG+1 is a muppet with a vpip > 60. What's his range here? Who would play this differently?

[/ QUOTE ]

I'd raise to $10 - $12 pre otherwise it's most likely you'll be playing your hand vs 2 players OOP at a cheap price for them.

[/ QUOTE ]

I do this sometimes but I also like to maintain a standard raise size a lot of the time so as not to give away any information about my strength (or lack of strength). Keeps me from having to think about varying raise amounts and I'm at least charging some price to see the flop (and more than a minraise obv). If I'm going to make it 10 there I'm probably going to have to make it 10 every time. I do realize though I'm more likely to get called in this spot because I'm out of position and two players have already contributed to the pot. I don't necessarily mind the calls, but I just have to play smart postflop and make good reads.
Old 11-30-2007, 06:09 AM

BTN has a set 90% of the time the other 10% BTN has a str8. On a good day i would fold the river.. these days i would call.
Old 11-30-2007, 06:16 AM

A lot of players don't raise too much pre because they don't want to lose everyone when they have a holding such as QQ.

However, if anyone checks their PT database I would guess that picking up just 3.5BB (as would be the case here if a larger raise lost both it's customers) isn't too far off their Avg/Hand profit for QQ (as long as their sample is large enough.) In other words, don't be disappointed if all you do win is the blinds and limpers.
Old 11-30-2007, 06:22 AM

Well sure, but in this case we had a 60% vpip muppet in the pot and if you don't get in my way I take his whole stack! [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]
Old 11-30-2007, 06:24 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Well sure, but in this case we had a 60% vpip muppet in the pot and if you don't get in my way I take his whole stack! [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

Good point. You're right. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

The increased risk at letting a muppet come in cheapish is well worth the typically increased reward.
Old 11-30-2007, 07:08 AM

I raise more preflop (but I'd raise more no matter what hand I was raising in this pos/circumstance) and I bet the turn as well. I don't want to lose value from the muppet (cause he'll call 3-streets with AJ/KJ) and I don't want to give control of the hand away. I think it also gives us better definition of Narena's hand. If you make a good sized bet on the turn then Narena's can't and IME won't call it or over-call it without QQ beat.
Old 11-30-2007, 07:39 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I raise more preflop (but I'd raise more no matter what hand I was raising in this pos/circumstance) and I bet the turn as well. I don't want to lose value from the muppet (cause he'll call 3-streets with AJ/KJ) and I don't want to give control of the hand away. I think it also gives us better definition of Narena's hand. If you make a good sized bet on the turn then Narena's can't and IME won't call it or over-call it without QQ beat.

[/ QUOTE ]

Fair point. In this case Narena's flat call on the flop set off alarms in my head, especially after the muppet made a call on a decent sized flop bet and after he limp/called my preflop raise.
Old 11-30-2007, 08:07 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Narena's flat call on the flop set off alarms in my head

[/ QUOTE ]

I can appreciate that but his style seems to be that he flat calls a fairly wide range on the flop including monsters (sets), hands that he thinks might be best AJ/KJ, draws and sometimes floats looking for weakness. This is why he can be difficult to play against because if you make a second bet you could be either giving him the info he needs to fold a hand you beat or giving him value if he has a strong hand. Sometimes I go into call down mode against him but that doesn't seem to work very well either because he hammers you if he has it and keeps it cheap if he doesn't. As I said in my other post I think betting is the lesser of two evils - just remember he's a good player so if he calls or raises your turn bet he's not doing anything stupid and you should be able to range him accordingly.

I personally think that betting the turn here is good against pretty much any decent player unless you already have a good idea of their range and want to take another line. In cases where you are unsure I like to bet my hand, afterall QQ is still good on this board, until given information that suggests I should do otherwise.
Old 11-30-2007, 12:47 PM

hey fellas...

enjoyed reading some of these threads...i obviously dont play near as much as most of you. most all of you i respect very much. i would love for you to let me know what you think of my play. i play mostly for fun as opposed to a living like some of you. but i would love constructive criticism...
Old 11-30-2007, 06:40 PM

Full Tilt Poker, $1/$2 NL Hold'em Cash Game, 9 Players
LeggoPoker.com - Hand History Converter

UTG+1: $207.90
UTG+2: $182.10
MP1: $220
MP2: $114.25
CO: $125.35
BTN: $209.85
SB: $399.55
Hero (BB): $151
UTG: $191

Pre-Flop: Q[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] Q[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] dealt to Hero (BB)
UTG folds, UTG+1 calls $2, 4 folds, BTN calls $2, SB folds, <font color="red">Hero raises to $8</font>, UTG+1 calls $6, BTN calls $6

Flop: ($25) J[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 7[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 2[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] (3 Players)
<font color="red">Hero bets $16</font>, UTG+1 calls $16, BTN calls $16

Turn: ($73) 9[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] (3 Players)
Hero checks, <font color="red">UTG+1 bets $20</font>, BTN calls $20, Hero calls $20

River: ($133) 5[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] (3 Players)
Hero checks, <font color="red">UTG+1 bets $20</font>, <font color="red">BTN raises to $80</font>, Hero folds, UTG+1 calls $60

Results: $293 Pot ($3 Rake)
UTG+1 mucked 8[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] J[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] (a pair of Jacks) and LOST (-$124 NET)
BTN showed J[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] Q[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] (a pair of Jacks) and WON $290 (+$166 NET)

Clearly Narena has a superuser account. Such a sick, gutsy, and brilliant play. Me = pwned.