Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-11-2007, 02:29 PM

Default How much to house sit?

My girlfriend is going to be house sitting for 5 days. She is a grad student and got this by posting an ad on craigslist so she does not know the family. They have a cat and dog. She was asked how she charges but neither of us really know what a reasonable rate is. Any help or experience appreciated.
Old 09-11-2007, 03:08 PM

Default Re: How much to house sit?

$50 / day?
Old 09-11-2007, 03:15 PM

[ QUOTE ]
My girlfriend is going to be house sitting for 5 days. She is a grad student and got this by posting an ad on craigslist so she does not know the family. They have a cat and dog. She was asked how she charges but neither of us really know what a reasonable rate is. Any help or experience appreciated.

[/ QUOTE ]

So she's not really house sitting, because who need someone to watch their house if they were only going to be gone for 5 days. What she really will be doing is looking after their pets. What this is worth, I have no idea.
Old 09-11-2007, 03:17 PM

[ QUOTE ]
$50 / day?

[/ QUOTE ]

that was closer to my thinking. I looked online and there were some services charging 15-25/day for coming to check on/walk/feed pets but without and overnight stay.

Does $50 seem unreasonable. it's a small college city, with a relatively low cost of living (ie not an LA, SF, Boston, etc)
Old 09-11-2007, 03:17 PM

$200 a day plus expenses

Old 09-11-2007, 03:18 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

So she's not really house sitting, because who need someone to watch their house if they were only going to be gone for 5 days. What she really will be doing is looking after their pets. What this is worth, I have no idea.

[/ QUOTE ]

Find out what a local kennel would charge to board the pets for 5 days as a starting point. That is the alternative cost to the owners.
Old 09-11-2007, 03:28 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Find out what a local kennel would charge to board the pets for 5 days as a starting point. That is the alternative cost to the owners.

[/ QUOTE ]

Excellent Idea. We will call around, get a good range and go from there based on what else they want. Thank you!
Old 09-11-2007, 03:28 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, do this.

Also, maybe this is just the cynic in me talking, but I find it kind of strange that complete strangers would trust a random girl from Craig's List with their home. Is this normal? I've only ever heard of a family friend or neighbor housesitting before.
Old 09-11-2007, 03:30 PM

thinly-veiled sex slave search on their part.
Old 09-11-2007, 03:35 PM

[ QUOTE ]

Also, maybe this is just the cynic in me talking, but I find it kind of strange that complete strangers would trust a random girl from Craig's List with their home. Is this normal? I've only ever heard of a family friend or neighbor housesitting before.

[/ QUOTE ]
Females are trustworthy. Bonus points for college students. I'm not even being scarcastic.