Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Medium Stakes
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-08-2007, 03:15 AM

Default Re: 2/4 HU Line Check

[ QUOTE ]
I would rather a donk bet then a C/R, if he 3bets I just shove. If he calls I'd try to crai on the turn. As played I think a call is pretty thin on the river, but it's not bad. As for the turn I would check here against some players, bet against others (those capable of floating the flop, and those capable of folding a better hand). If the turn went check check I would bet 2/3 pot on the rive.r

[/ QUOTE ]

why would you bet the river if it goes c/c. do you think he's going to call a flop c/r with a worse hand and then call a river bet? i think that's just crazy

i think this guy was just mediocre enough to call the flop with a draw and check behind hoping to hit it on the river as a standard type of play. i dont think he's calling flop c/r with one pair and betting the turn, etc.

i know i'm getting hammered for this hand right now but i dont see a much better line to take. I hate check calling against guys who aren't that aggressive and i hate leading the flop against somewhat frustrated guys who are itching to play back at me. he's definitely not the type of guy to bet / 3be shove a draw he lead with on the flop after getting raised. i was essentially raising flop for value

after he calls me though, do you seriously want to lead this turn? i just can't see him ever putting any money into the pot in this case when we're ahead...

like i said, i fully admit to being a complete heads-up newbie and i'm looking for any feeback you guys have.

i take it most of you guys are just check/calling this flop then?
Old 06-08-2007, 03:17 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
you overrepped your hand, then you underrepped your hand... then you folded

[/ QUOTE ]

read. i didnt fold

i mainly want opinions on what to do on the turn. i think i have to call river after my turn play, though maybe i'm wrong here too?

[/ QUOTE ]

it's even worse than than when i first looked then. your flop c/r on that board is just atrocious and puts you in an unwinnable spot on later streets

[/ QUOTE ]

why is this flop cr so bad? you would rather have complete air or a set/big draw here?

what do you like for a line? check/call flop, check/call turn?

i mean i obviously call this in a standard hand but i do like to have a fairly wide cr range hu. you're telling me if you raise here agaisnt a fairly predictable tagish player you want to just check/fold or bet/fold the turn?

i'm honestly looking for advice here and i'm not really ashamed to admit it. I haven't regularly played in a while and i'm really behind the current flow of the games these days.

[/ QUOTE ]

it's really as simple as you are building a big pot out of position with a small pot hand

[/ QUOTE ]

don't i need to do this once in a while with a medium strength hand? or are you only c/ring here with draws/sets/and big pairs?

or maybe i'm just totally overthinking this?
Old 06-08-2007, 03:27 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
you overrepped your hand, then you underrepped your hand... then you folded

[/ QUOTE ]

read. i didnt fold

i mainly want opinions on what to do on the turn. i think i have to call river after my turn play, though maybe i'm wrong here too?

[/ QUOTE ]

it's even worse than than when i first looked then. your flop c/r on that board is just atrocious and puts you in an unwinnable spot on later streets

[/ QUOTE ]

why is this flop cr so bad? you would rather have complete air or a set/big draw here?

what do you like for a line? check/call flop, check/call turn?

i mean i obviously call this in a standard hand but i do like to have a fairly wide cr range hu. you're telling me if you raise here agaisnt a fairly predictable tagish player you want to just check/fold or bet/fold the turn?

i'm honestly looking for advice here and i'm not really ashamed to admit it. I haven't regularly played in a while and i'm really behind the current flow of the games these days.

[/ QUOTE ]

it's really as simple as you are building a big pot out of position with a small pot hand

[/ QUOTE ]

don't i need to do this once in a while with a medium strength hand? or are you only c/ring here with draws/sets/and big pairs?

or maybe i'm just totally overthinking this?

[/ QUOTE ]

I'd say you are definately overthinking this. This is only a 2/4 heads up against some random decent player, not a deepstacked highstakes game between 2+2'er.

I agree with the don't cr, don't call river.
Old 06-08-2007, 04:45 AM

[ QUOTE ]
it's even worse than than when i first looked then. people just don't overbet that often without a big hand. but it's your flop c/r on that board that puts you in an unwinnable spot on later streets

[/ QUOTE ]

i agree. flop c/r makes a +ev flop spot -ev.
Old 06-08-2007, 07:24 AM

c/c flop, b/f turn, c/c river assuming no scare cards fall would be my default.

Mediocre tag probably plays all his big hands fast, calls with his draws, sometimes calls with worse made hands, maybe bluffs the river, and probably doesn't value bet thin enough to put you in tough spots.

if bad cards fall, let your heart be your guide, and sometimes turn your hand into a bluff
Old 06-08-2007, 07:44 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
i pretty much hate all of it

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

agreed.

on the flop hero raises to build the pot. on the turn checks behind for pot control. then calls a river AI. very unusual line.
Old 06-08-2007, 08:18 AM

woa, thats a weird line.

c/c flop, b/f turn
once u raise the flop b/f turn.

with no reads, as played, fold riv.
Old 06-08-2007, 08:19 AM

[ QUOTE ]
My image is probably pretty standard TAGish

[/ QUOTE ]

If you are a TAG, why are you playing 6-max? [img]/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img]
Old 06-08-2007, 12:17 PM

aight obviously the flop and turn are nonstandard (read: trainwrecks). just curious what people are putting him on the river though assuming we've butchered the hand up to this point

and thanks for the default line Jim. I need to start having solid standard plays instead of betting and raising on a whim all the time
Old 06-08-2007, 08:49 PM

just generally... is there a guide or like some tips in an FAQ for hu or is it all just play/post.... HU seems likea more difficult beast (poker in generally is more complicated as you get shorter handed)

also i've been meaning to ask.. fionnmac.. is ur avatar from the office UK?