Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > EDF
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-18-2007, 07:33 PM

Default Re: Timothy Ferriss and the Four Hour Work Week

I don't mean to [censored] on his book, I really don't. However, the delivery that he uses on his blog (and in his book, at least the excerpts I have read) is very similar to Robert Kiyosaki. People have learned important concepts from Kiyosaki, despite the fact that he is basically a fraud and full of [censored] (much of his "legal" advice in his books is a good way to get indicted for tax evasion). I have no doubt that many people can be inspired by Ferriss and his works, but most of these types of self-help books are a bunch of crap.
Old 11-18-2007, 08:46 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Everyone,

You guys pride yourself on being logical thinkers, right?

1) Hire personal assistants to make your job easier.
2) Convince your boss to let you stay home from work because you are so much more productive with these personal assistants.
3) Your boss realizes that you are productive because of these personal assistants.
4)

What do you think happens next?

[/ QUOTE ]
He obviously doesn't tell you to tell your boss that. It would be retarded to do that and he'd probably fire you on the spot. There's a script in the book.

The outlandish claims about e.g. gaining 30 lbs. of muscle in a month are absolutely ridiculous and cripple his personal credibility. But the concepts in the book are pretty solid.
Old 11-18-2007, 09:22 PM

Default Post deleted by Mat Sklansky

Old 11-18-2007, 10:05 PM

So Kyleb, you essentially think the book is full of crap right?

Not really going to sidetrack this thread and get into an argument, I just want to know what your exact position is.
Old 11-18-2007, 10:11 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Everyone,

2) Convince your boss to let you stay home from work because you are so much more productive with these personal assistants.
3) Your boss realizes that you are productive because of these personal assistants.
4)

[/ QUOTE ]
He obviously doesn't tell you to tell your boss that. It would be retarded to do that and he'd probably fire you on the spot. There's a script in the book.

The outlandish claims about e.g. gaining 30 lbs. of muscle in a month are absolutely ridiculous and cripple his personal credibility. But the concepts in the book are pretty solid.

[/ QUOTE ]

The outlandish claims of gaining 20-30 pounds of muscle are not outrageous.

Especially in boxing, you'll see each fighter's weight the "night before" is drastically different than the weight the "day of" the fight.

It's not uncommon, in fact it is normally expected to see fighters baloon up 15-20 pounds overnight. It's a process of starving your body of carbs and water and then indulging it overnight.
Old 11-18-2007, 10:30 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Blueman,

Props for the new "staking" business.

Question: Have you thought about whats going to happen when someone wins big and doesn't send money? ie, how this would effect profitability and making this venture worthwhile? Obviously you've had success so far, but, even with some screening, there's no way 100% of people are sending back final table money (imo, would love to be shown wrong).

Also, if this continued to grow do you think Stars would have a problem with a good % of the tournament's player pool being backed by one individual (wrt soft play, collusion, etc.)?

[/ QUOTE ]

These are good questions. I wish I had an intelligent answer for you. I do not. I don't have the faintest idea what would happen if somebody stiffed me for $100k. I also dont really know or care what Stars is going to think. IMO those are both good problems to have. A) one of my horses wins the million and b) im backing enough players for stars to have to take notice. These are good problems. I'll cross those bridges when I come to them. For right now, I really don't care if its +EV or not. Its profitable and i can control exactly how much im willing to lose and there is 0 chance i'll go into the red now, so its a freeroll. Its just something fun to do on Sundays instead of getting my own ass busted up, I can stake people and hope they run better than me. Its also a very cool way to practice TF on a very micro scale. I have two assistants lined up for next week and one guy building a website/tracking system for us...and all of them saying they'll help for free because they like the idea. Sounds good to me. Regardless of how it goes, its just practice for me...if it fails, these are all skills i can apply to lots of other things.

[/ QUOTE ]

ty for response, and I look forward to tracking your progress. Good luck with it!
Old 11-19-2007, 01:34 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Everyone,

4)

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

The outlandish claims of gaining 20-30 pounds of muscle are not outrageous.

Especially in boxing, you'll see each fighter's weight the "night before" is drastically different than the weight the "day of" the fight.

It's not uncommon, in fact it is normally expected to see fighters baloon up 15-20 pounds overnight. It's a process of starving your body of carbs and water and then indulging it overnight.

[/ QUOTE ]
I have done that several times personally. That is manipulating hydration, not adding muscle tissue. Tim specifically claims gaining 34 pounds of muscle in four weeks. It's laughable. It's impossible with steroids. Anybody with more than a casual understanding of manipulating body composition knows it's a silly claim, like a poker player who says he never has a losing session.

http://www.fourhourworkweek.com/blog/200...cle-in-4-weeks/
Old 11-19-2007, 08:14 PM

I agree with Kyleb.

If you are only working 4 hours a week you are not working hard enough. I understand that it is an analogy, but instead of convincing your boss to work from home so that you can slack off (instead of slacking off at work) why don't you actually be productive at work and when you finish your job in 4 hours ask your boss if there is more work you could do or other projects you can work on? If there is nothing else possible then you are in a dead end job.

I guess this "system" is okay for people who never want to advance in their careers but I believe more in the American capitalist system than Venezuelan system that Ferriss is advocating.

I also agree that Kyleb nailed it when he said that Ferriss' running a business advice (outsource menial tasks to wage workers) is not exactly revolutionary. It is more like business 101. Actually, it is more like remedial business 100.

And the concept of starting a business and having other people run it for you: I believe that is called venture capitalism and I don't think that that wheel was invented by Ferriss either. Thinking that you will create 1,000 $5,000 a year websites without having to do any of the work is tragically naieve

Here is a picture of Ferriss (third from left) for those who have not seen him: