Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-18-2007, 01:53 AM

Default GPS System on people?

I have actually read about this idea, mostly to put on children as a deterrent to kidnapping. Basically you use a microchip or an ankle bracelet that's monitored to know where the person is at all times. I don't know if it's actually out yet, but it seems like a great idea to own, even though the odds of getting kidnapped are pretty low. There's probably other advantages to it, like if you're walking around in a big city, you could use a hand-held device to figure out how to get from point A to point B much more easily based on where you are.

So, if such a device were available, how many people would use it on themselves or their kids if relatively inexpensive?
Old 11-18-2007, 01:55 AM

Default Re: GPS System on people?

I had to get one after I went to the playground too many times.
Old 11-18-2007, 01:58 AM

Marauders Map FTW?
Old 11-18-2007, 02:23 AM

this technology definitely already exists. It's usually used on criminals or animals, and I don't intend to treat my kids like either. And I don't see the advantage in having one implanted in yourself: if you need a "hand-held device" to find out where you are then why not put the GPS chip in the device?
Old 11-18-2007, 03:06 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I have actually read about this idea, mostly to put on children as a deterrent to kidnapping. Basically you use a microchip or an ankle bracelet that's monitored to know where the person is at all times. I don't know if it's actually out yet, but it seems like a great idea to own, even though the odds of getting kidnapped are pretty low. There's probably other advantages to it, like if you're walking around in a big city, you could use a hand-held device to figure out how to get from point A to point B much more easily based on where you are.

So, if such a device were available, how many people would use it on themselves or their kids if relatively inexpensive?

[/ QUOTE ]

Even if it was free, I wouldn't do it. I don't want any agency/company being able to track every movement I make, or if I had kids, that they make. This fearful hysteria, that no one is safe is the perfect way to lead to freedoms being taken away - see patriot act. And man, when it comes time for these kids to revolt against what could turn into a tyranical government, they're going to be [censored] outta luck.
I'm trying to think of the names of the kids I know who've been kidnapped; there aren't any.
Old 11-18-2007, 03:30 AM

no thanks

Old 11-18-2007, 06:07 AM

Old 11-18-2007, 06:26 AM

my dad was once in talks to invest in some guys who were planning on making these. I think it might have been for dogs though.
Old 11-18-2007, 06:31 AM

I've read a few stories on cell phone services where you can track your friends and they can track you so the technology exists.

As an anti-kidnapping technology I really don't see it working. If I wanted to kidnap someone I'd just remove the chip. It wouldn't be difficult to locate on the body and kidnappers don't usually care about causing pain.
Old 11-18-2007, 07:28 AM

I work for a company that produces a house arrest product for criminal offenders. Some of the devices have a GPS component.