Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Poker > Other Poker Games

Old 09-19-2007, 10:10 PM

Default Crazy Eddie\'s 10,000-hand Chinese Poker w/2-7 Sale!

You can download ten thousand well-set* hands of Chinese Poker with 2-7 in the middle** for free*** here: http://lowballgurus.com/cp27/cp27-10000-hands.txt

This file is about 372KB large. Each hand shows the back, middle, and front settings (in that order) and the expected value**** against an opponent who is playing a similarly-strong strategy.

* Approximately 2% of hands have an alternate setting that may be better against a maximally-exploitive counterstrategy. The file http://lowballgurus.com/cp27/cp27-10000-hands-2.txt includes approximately the same set of 10,000 hands, alternately set.
** Using a 2-4 point scoring system without tiebreakers or natural hands.
*** Cost of internet connection and storage not included. Offer void where prohibited.
**** Standard error of expected value is about +/- 0.02 points. 5% of hands may have "true" expected values outside this range.

So... I've received a couple requests about whether I can make my entire data set available, or provide a program which can calculate a good setting for arbitrary hands. Unfortunately the 10M-hand file is, well, one thousand times as large as the file above. 375MB downloads are a bit more than I'm interested in hosting at the moment. Any program would be of a similar size. (And to be honest I'm not all that interested in doing the necessary Windows development to make it broadly useful; my tool runs under Linux.)

It would be feasible to run a CP2-7 hand calculator as a web service, just not on my current hosting. I figure it would cost $60-$100/month to keep it running, but believe that there is insufficient interest to provide that level of income (whether through ads, sponsorships, subscriptions, per-hand costs, etc.) Perhaps the most likely method of extracting value would be to collect money for not offering this service, from players who are currently beating the CP games. [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

It would be possible to accept hands via a web form or email, batch them up periodically for evaluation, and post the results publicly... but that's not really a service I'm interested in maintaining long-term, any more than I'm willing to burn CDs and ship them out. So, while I'm open to providing more access to my CP2-7 results, I don't see a way that's feasible for me to take on as a project.

(P.S. I just wanted to geek out for a moment about the cost possibilities here. Most coaching services charge you a per-hour rate; you have to decide for yourself whether you're getting advice that's worth what you're paying. But a CP2-7 coaching service could provide a much more precise quantification of how good the "advice" is. The cost for evaluating a hand could be related to the difference in EV between how you would set the hand, and the best setting!)
Old 09-20-2007, 03:20 AM

Default Re: Crazy Eddie\'s 10,000-hand Chinese Poker w/2-7 Sale!

My other webhost, which I'm going to be moving LG to soon anyway, has a couple of ways we could feasibly sell the 375mb file, if people are interested in paying for it. Anybody want to let me know what they think it's worth?
Old 09-21-2007, 07:11 AM

Put it on Amazon S3? It would still cost something but would probably be pennies a month as opposed to $60/mo.
Old 09-24-2007, 03:41 AM

Thanks bro, you da man. One question, are these 10,000 random hands or were they picked in a special way? Are they a 10,000 hand run? Are they a random 10,000 out of your 10 million run?

Thanks!
Old 09-24-2007, 04:16 AM

They are the first 10,000 from my set of 10M random hands.