Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Internet Gambling > Internet Gambling
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-22-2007, 01:34 PM

Default Re: starting bankroll..

[ QUOTE ]
How can you play seriously with $200?

[/ QUOTE ]

We are no longer in the good ol' days but tonnes of people have started with less. I did the PSO instant bankroll 2.5 years ago and turned $75 into $12,000-15,000 total.
Old 08-22-2007, 01:37 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
I started with $.90 and played seriously 100% of the time. Obviously I ran well in the beginning because I didn't go broke, but I practiced proper bankroll management as soon as I accumulated a real bankroll. Since I was playing the lowest limits available (.05/.10 LHE), this was $30.

That was April 2006 and I'm still playing with that free $.90 I got. I've never deposited (except moving money around via Neteller when it was still an option) and now I'm playing MSNL.

You shouldn't ever think of the game you're playing in in terms of money, just chips. Otherwise you're probably going to have a LOT of trouble moving up when the money *really* starts to mean something. This is something I've gotten much better at over the past few months. Strictly think of your bankroll in terms of buy-ins and big blinds, or you may make stupid mistakes when the absolute amount of money has blinded you.
Old 08-22-2007, 01:45 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]I played a lot before the "ban" but cashed out everything about 6 months ago. Last month I deposited $200 to play $25nl, I just moved up to $100nl with over 25 buyins. Not to mention I made ~$30k originaly playing poker on an initial $50 deposit, and I am sure there are a lot of players who made more with less, like DMoogle from this thread for example.
Old 08-22-2007, 05:39 PM

echoing most of the others posters advice, but also just wanted to mention that you dont want to play 10NL on full tilt. Unless something has changed recently the rake on those tables is 10% (double the norm)
Old 08-22-2007, 06:00 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Believe it or not, I started with $50 my generous wife let me start 3 years ago and turned it into 150K all in cash games. Without ever rebuying. Although, those were the Party Poker days.
Old 08-22-2007, 06:36 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Believe it or not, I started with $50 my generous wife let me start 3 years ago and turned it into 150K all in cash games. Without ever rebuying. Although, those were the Party Poker days.

[/ QUOTE ]

So? I turned negative 47 cents into a solid gold replica of Mount St. Helen, to scale.
Old 08-22-2007, 09:42 PM

i played for money online like a year or two ago...i heard that fulltilt will not let me get rakeback or bonuses anymore...is this true? if so...what should i do?
Old 08-22-2007, 09:52 PM

[ QUOTE ]
i played for money online like a year or two ago...i heard that fulltilt will not let me get rakeback or bonuses anymore...is this true? if so...what should i do?

[/ QUOTE ]
Do you have any more information than that? Is this something specific to you? I have no idea why somebody wouldn't be able to get bonuses...unless you mean the sign-up, which you can't get twice. As far as rakeback goes...you say "anymore", which seems to imply you once did. Unless you opened a second account to get RB and had that account closed by FT, you should be able to get RB still.
Old 08-24-2007, 02:26 PM

[ QUOTE ]
hello...i want to start playing online seriously...ive been reading a few articles, and was wondering if i should start with a $50 or $200 deposit...here is why:

$200 because this is 20x the max buy-in at the lowest limits of NL on fulltilt (5 and 10 cent blinds)

and

$50 because i read an article

any thoughts on how much i should start with?

thank you [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

I think the point of the article is that regardless of the amount you start with, you must implement effective bankroll rules so that you are not playing beyond your means. You can start with $0 like Chris Ferguson did and built to $10,000. You can start with $50 and play small entry sit 'n go's to build. Or you can deposit $200 or $600 or whatever. The key is to ensure the level you are playing at is in line with your bankroll AND your current skill level.

An added benefit (as mentioned by someone else) to starting with a smaller bankroll is that you will risk less money as you go through the required learning curve (build your skill level). You need to "pay" for the learning curve whether at the low buy-in's or at higher amounts. Starting low and building your bankroll as you learn might be more cost effective for some.

Good advice from the other posters regarding rake and bonuses. The rake adds up, especially when you move to the higher limits.
Old 08-24-2007, 02:44 PM

One other small thing to consider -- there may be more variance at lower limits as people are willing in general to risk more when they are risking less...