Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Sporting Events
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-20-2007, 05:01 PM

Default Re: jimmy rollins is a yambag

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
this is true. His is .859. And he is a leadoff hitter.

[/ QUOTE ]

If you are going to excuse his numbers because he is a leadoff hitter, shouldn't you also punish him for having a mediocre OBP for a leadoff hitter?

[/ QUOTE ]

his .344 OBP is subpar for a leadoff man -- but he still led the league in runs scored and stole 41 bases

[/ QUOTE ]

If you lead the league in runs scored despite having a subpar OBP for a leadoff hitter, then your teammates get a lot of the credit for a) driving you home and b) getting you a ton more at bats than the average leadoff hitter.

[/ QUOTE ]

correct. His speed, and baserunning ability has something to do with it. And scoring those runs and driving in runs helps win games and makes you "valuable"

I admit he would probably have been even more valuable somewhere else in the lineup -- but the way the Phillies lineup was constructed, maybe leadoff was best for him

Anyway, i dont even know why we r arguing this. I hate Rollins, i just dont think Holliday deserved the award

you guys are right. WRIGHT WAS ROBBED!
Old 11-20-2007, 05:02 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
metsandfinsfan is wrong in this thread.

imo

[/ QUOTE ]

give me your top 5 MVP votes

[/ QUOTE ]

Holliday
Wright
Pujols
Chipper
Hanley

imo
Old 11-20-2007, 05:03 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I'm a big Wright fan and eagerly await the day a Met can win the MVP. But I would have voted against him this year.

He was fine in September and a beast in August. But he simply cannot avoid the taint of the collapse.

[/ QUOTE ]
So its David Wright's fault his teammates collapsed? This a very weak argument. I didn't expect David Wright to win because the BBWAA is retarded, but not voting for him because his teammates collapsed makes no sense.

[/ QUOTE ]

Is there no longer anything to the notion of leadership? Are the numbers really ALL that matter?

Willie Stargell co-shared an MVP award when the Pirates ended up winning it all, and if memory is close to correct, his raw numbers weren't so great. But he was recognized for being a great leader.

I think that Rollins deserves some credit for taking the leadership role and prodding his team on. Wright was unable to do the same for his team.

If this award is meant to take into account how the team finishes too - as it certainly has been in the last couple of decades - then the Mets team-wide collapse has a bearing on how Wright should have done on the voting. If you are one of the people who consider this award to be based entirely on individual performance, then that is an entirely different matter.
Old 11-20-2007, 05:05 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
this is true. His is .859. And he is a leadoff hitter.

[/ QUOTE ]

If you are going to excuse his numbers because he is a leadoff hitter, shouldn't you also punish him for having a mediocre OBP for a leadoff hitter?

[/ QUOTE ]

his .344 OBP is subpar for a leadoff man -- but he still had good players in the lineup behind him

[/ QUOTE ]

Good one.

[/ QUOTE ]

i guess his 38 doubles, 20 triples, and 41 stolen bases had nothing to do with it
Old 11-20-2007, 05:07 PM

[ QUOTE ]
correct. His speed, and baserunning ability has something to do with it. And scoring those runs and driving in runs helps win games and makes you "valuable"

[/ QUOTE ]

His speed and baserunning have something to do with it, sure, but a bigger factor is him getting a major league record number of at bats. Having four teammates in the top-20 of the NL for OPS (5, 6, 15, 19) is pretty important too.
Old 11-20-2007, 05:10 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

His speed and baserunning have something to do with it, sure, but a bigger factor is him getting a major league record number of at bats. Having four teammates in the top-20 of the NL for OPS (5, 6, 15, 19) is pretty important too.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes but Jimmy Rollins is the team leader thus if he wasn't on the team Howard would have hit only 5 home runs and struck out 500 times.

the rockies led the majors in home slugging percentage at .480 and were 25th in road slugging at .395. So anyone who doesnt think a players stats are inflated because of Coors is being blind

thats why Holliday didnt win, and that is why tulo didnt win ROY.

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes but Jimmy Rollins is the team leader thus if he wasn't on the team Howard would have hit only 5 home runs and struck out 500 times.

[/ QUOTE ]

You win, I yield [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]
Old 11-20-2007, 05:13 PM

[ QUOTE ]
the rockies led the majors in home slugging percentage at .480 and were 25th in road slugging at .395. So anyone who doesnt think a players stats are inflated because of Coors is being blind

thats why Holliday didnt win, and that is why tulo didnt win ROY.

[/ QUOTE ]

It's unfair to just look at road stats, there needs to be a balance there. Playing in Coors for some reason seems to have a weird effect where you play worse on the road. I think it has to do with adjusting to the different kind of atmosphere. I probably sound insane and stupid but believe I'm pretty sure I am right and there is evidence to support me.

Also, I am probably not explaining myself optimally.
Old 11-20-2007, 05:14 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
David Wright would have/ should have won but the Mets didn't make the playoffs. Even though that's not really his fault because in september he was 352/432/602.

[/ QUOTE ]
Didn't Wright have a few crucial errors in September that contributed to the collapse? If I remember it now, then maybe the voters remembered it a few months ago when they voted.

[/ QUOTE ]

They seemed to have forgotten Braun's 4 error game (or was it 5) very late in the season that went a fair ways towards keeping the Brew Crew out of the playoffs, so I doubt that was the cause. Naw, the east coast just had 20/20/20/20/20/20/20 vision.