Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Poker > Stud
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-28-2007, 05:29 AM

Default Stud/8 capping 6th with stragglers

I have a question about a play I saw tonight in a hand that I was in.

V1 is solid, and it is his play that I question.
V2 is probably a pro but who is playing outside of his expertise in this split pot game.

20/40 Stud/8, 8 players

Bringin (xx) 2 -- folds
2 folds
V2 (xx) A -- completes-- calls
folds
Hero (A [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]4 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]) 3 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] -- raises
folds
V1 (xx) 2 -- calls

4th:
V2 (xx) AJ, 2 clubs -- bets -- calls
Hero (A [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]4 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]) 3 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 6 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] -- raises
V1 (xx) 29 -- calls

5th:
V2 (xx) AJK, 2 clubs -- bets -- calls
Hero (A [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]4 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]) 3 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 6 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 5 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] -- raises
V1 (xx) 297 -- calls

6th:
V2 (xx) AJK8, 3 clubs -- checks -- calls -- folds
Hero (A [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]4 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]) 3 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 6 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 5 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] T [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]-- bets -- 3-bets
V1 (xx) 2979 -- raises -- caps

7th:
Hero (A [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]4 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 4x) 3 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 6 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 5 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] T [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]-- calls
V1 (xx) 2979 (x) -- bets and shows full house, 9s over 2s, that he made on 6th. V1 had (29)29 on 4th. He said that he called 3rd just for kicks & the hand just got better for him. (My opinion of V1 fluctuated through the session. I ended up respecting his game.)

As V2 contemplated calling 2 bets on 6th, he paused and said, "why is he trying to drive me out of this pot?" I think it was a good question.

It seems to me that by capping V1 drove a live player out of the pot. Can anyone explain to me his line? What might V1 have been afraid of? Do you see this as a misplay?

Old 09-28-2007, 12:37 PM

Default Re: Stud/8 capping 6th with stragglers

V1 is probably playing on game conditions by capping.

V2 could be too loose.
V1 wants to represent that he is steaming
V1 wants V2 to think he's pushing out the better hand
V1 thinks V2 is such a stud8 donkey that he'll call two cold drawing dead and will be committed for multiple bets on seventh.
V1 might put V2 on higher trips and wants to charge him.

could be any one of those and possibly others.
Old 09-28-2007, 02:32 PM

Default Re: Stud/8 capping 6th with stragglers

Those are all fair and reasonable. I was vaguely aware of some of those considerations and not at all of others.

The more I learn about this game, the more I have to learn. This is a good thing -- I like the challenge.

Can anyone think of any other reasons for V1's line? Am I unduly influenced by my own hand when I try to figure out V1? I feel like my hand is basically played face up here. Is there any reason why V1 might be playing at me or charging me to play? I can't think of one, but I feel like I'm missing something.