Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-10-2007, 06:12 AM

Default Re: The guy that takes the joke one step too far

[ QUOTE ]
yeah, i'm this guy. i won't comment on whether i'm actually funny or not, but hey, I'M laughing. i thought most of the examples here were pretty funny FWIW.

[/ QUOTE ]
lol @ your avatar
Old 11-10-2007, 01:27 PM

[ QUOTE ]
just got home from a celts game...excellent example by my friend on the train....

its pretty crowded and there is a couple 18-19 year old girls heading out towards BC dragging along their bags and pillows, etc.

Girl 1: Don't fall over!

Girl 2: It's ok, I got a firm grip on this pole!

Me (Michael Scott voice): That's what she said

Girls: (laughter)

Friend: Yeah I bet she loves stroking that [censored] too, huh?

[/ QUOTE ]

ugh, this kind of situation drives me nuts. There's a point when a joke has run it's course. We had a friend in high school who constantly tried to add something on to an awesome joke, but always made it worse. We ended up ignoring him all the time, but then he started asking "why does everyone ignore me?"

gah socially awkward people
Old 11-10-2007, 02:51 PM

[ QUOTE ]

ugh, this kind of situation drives me nuts. There's a point when a joke has run it's course. We had a friend in high school who constantly tried to add something on to an awesome joke, but always made it worse. We ended up ignoring him all the time, but then he started asking "why does everyone ignore me?"

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah this is what I'm talking about. I'm really surprised how many posters here have admitted to being this awkward socially. (Not that I'm surprised OOT collects social awkwardness; just that they're coming out and admitting it so readily).

Remember: Guy-that-takes-joke-too-far is not the same as inappropriate-joke-teller. Inappropriate-joke-teller can be very funny, as in the "Finish her!" joke from the other thread. This guy is just desperate and lame and not at all amusing.
Old 11-10-2007, 03:38 PM

Yes, there's a key differentiation to be made. Inappropriate-joke guy takes something to a whole new level, and it's funny because it's uncomfortable. Takes-it-too-far guy doesn't bring anything new to the table, he's just trying to piggy back on the success of others. amirite?
Old 11-10-2007, 03:52 PM

Okay guys lets not get carried away here. Inappropriate-joke guy is just as awkward/unlikable as the guy who takes the joke too far.
Old 11-10-2007, 04:10 PM

BOOOOOOOM CANNONBALL
Old 11-10-2007, 05:39 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
just got home from a celts game...excellent example by my friend on the train....

its pretty crowded and there is a couple 18-19 year old girls heading out towards BC dragging along their bags and pillows, etc.

Girl 1: Don't fall over!

Girl 2: It's ok, I got a firm grip on this pole!

Me (Michael Scott voice): That's what she said

Girls: (laughter)

Friend: Yeah I bet she loves stroking that [censored] too, huh?

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

And yet, these people come into their own, when deployed into a group of pot smokers.
Old 11-10-2007, 06:24 PM

[ QUOTE ]

Remember: Guy-that-takes-joke-too-far is not the same as inappropriate-joke-teller. Inappropriate-joke-teller can be very funny, as in the "Finish her!" joke from the other thread. This guy is just desperate and lame and not at all amusing.

[/ QUOTE ]

That just sounds more like someone who isnt funny, than someone who takes a joke too far

but I suppose thats just arguing semantics
Old 11-10-2007, 06:34 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
pj,

One of my roommates in college was the king of this, I'll call him Beano.

Conversations would OFTEN go like this:

Me: Haha, of course that guy did well at the math test, he's Asian!

Friend: Yeah, hahaha, that's why Jose is so good at his jobs, those Mexicans are good workers!

Beano: EXACTLY GUYS, THAT'S WHY STEVE [black guy] IS SO GREAT AT HANGING FROM A TREE BY A NOOSE!!!!!

<silence>

[/ QUOTE ]

lmao. That's basically me, except my friends would laugh. Hmm.

[/ QUOTE ]

Oh, well...I guess I'm more the inappropriate joke guy, than the take it to far guy. I don't see that much of a difference though, but in the above post I felt it was inapropriate not take to far, or a combo maybe.
Old 11-10-2007, 10:24 PM

Has anybody ever encountered a group of people that can laugh about something taken-too-far-after two-minutes for a whole hour? My housemates are exactly like this. We were just down the pub and the conversation turned to the fact that one of them had recently got some fish. Somebody else said, "I think that stripy one should be called Sue", Sue being one of our housemates who wasn't there. OK fine, I thought. Fairly [censored] joke, small wry smile, let's move on. They then manage to joke about the names fish could have for the next hour- no exaggeration whatsoever. "Imagine if that one fish was called Barry!" And they are laughing throughout the whole hour, and no drugs other than a very small amount of alcohol are involved at all. Three of the five of us hadn't even consumed any alcohol. I was so [censored] bored of this. I'm a very tolerant person, and I can sit there for an hour absolutely bored out of my mind. The thing is I probably looked like I was the one who didn't have a sense of humour. If I'd just shouted "For [censored]'s sake! Please stop talking about fish names! It's not [censored] funny at all", I would be seen as the party pooper, so to speak. My housemates aren't even abnormal people. All of them are pleasant enough and seemingly normal people. This makes me conclude that most people in life are completely boring. I would've been entertained by any topic in the area of sports, entertainment, politics, philosophy, whatever. But they talk about fish for a whole [censored] hour. I remember last year they had a conversation about one of them having seen a fox for about an hour. I can't think of anything so mind-numblingly boring as a conversation they are involved in, and yet I keep agreeing to go with them because I don't want to seem anti-social. I'm sure they would probably prefer I didn't go either because my ability to mask my depressing boredom falters after about 10 minutes and I just sit there trying to deaf them out.