Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-09-2007, 01:41 AM

Default Re: Hypothetical Management Decision re: non-tipping patron of restaur

btw jbrent is right about big parties or people taking a long time at a table. big parties are way, way, way more of a pain in the neck, and (as we discussed in the other thread) it is like a rule of thumb that if you put 6 guys in a group who are average tippers on their own, at least two of them will short the bill. [censored] obnoxious.

anyone who has ever worked in a kitchen can explain to you how big parties make things harder. you have to get 5 or 6 or 10 plates out all at the same time, all of which are hot and ready to go. this can be especially tough in a small place where you are working on a single range and salad station or a small oven or something. depending on your line size this can mean that basically one party takes up 10-15 minutes of a cook's time which is HUGE in a busy place. if you have a few small parties order directly after them it means they are going to wait at least that much longer for their food.

also if you sit at a place all night, take a long time to order, sit around drinking coffee and tea and stuff, you are monopolizing table space that equals income for servers and for the restaurant. if you are paying for a fine dining experience and want to take your time that's fine, but you better take care of your server as well, because you are costing them money and keeping others from eating. you paid for your food and beverages, you didn't rent a booth for three hours.
Old 11-09-2007, 01:46 AM

I have never worked in a restaurant, so bear with me. If a group of 6 guys tips 15% on a $500 tab, that adds up to $75. Assuming that the waiter only has one table (which is unlikely), and those guys hog it all night, is $75 that bad? I mean it would be for ~5 hours, which works out to $15/hour. Not a get rich sum of money, but not horrible either.
Old 11-09-2007, 02:01 AM

If a waiter/waitress gets to reap the benefits of great tippers, they also need to be able to put up with non-tippers. It balances out in the end. Tell him or her to deal with it.
Old 11-09-2007, 02:02 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I have never worked in a restaurant, so bear with me. If a group of 6 guys tips 15% on a $500 tab, that adds up to $75. Assuming that the waiter only has one table (which is unlikely), and those guys hog it all night, is $75 that bad? I mean it would be for ~5 hours, which works out to $15/hour. Not a get rich sum of money, but not horrible either.

[/ QUOTE ]

Exactly - the hourly rates most waiters gets paid is pretty retarded for what they do.

And it's nowhere near 5 hours of work - the actual interaction between the waiter and customer is probably less than 15 minutes total.

Out of all the people I have to tip in the world, I think it's waitstaff that I despise tipping the most.
Old 11-09-2007, 02:08 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Exactly - the hourly rates most waiters gets paid is pretty retarded for what they do.

And it's nowhere near 5 hours of work - the actual interaction between the waiter and customer is probably less than 15 minutes total.

Out of all the people I have to tip in the world, I think it's waitstaff that I despise tipping the most.

[/ QUOTE ]

15 minutes of work for a 5 hour table? Really, you're going with that ratio? You think perhaps there might be some stuff going on behind the scenes?

Rhino,

1. 5 hours is a retarded number for a restaurant
2. Tips are shared, how much depends on the type of place
3. Lead paint chips should not be eaten

J
Old 11-09-2007, 02:13 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
asking them to leave because they dont tip is ridiculous and the idea of it pisses me off

[/ QUOTE ]
I'm sure it does, stiff.

[/ QUOTE ]

actually im a very good tipper

i just think its [censored] that a tip would be required to eat at the restaurant
Old 11-09-2007, 02:14 AM

NT got my point about a group only tipping 15%.

Golden Rhino: While $75 may seem like a lot on the surface, imagine if the same table of 6 people with a $500 tab who took all night was replaced by table of 4 people with a $300 tab that turns 3 times.

Also one key factor that has been left out in all of this discussion is the dreaded "tip out". Every waiter in every restaurant contributes some portion (in my experience as high as 25 to as low as 5 percent) of their sales to the busboys, hosts, servers assistants etc.

People who are cheap are [censored].
Old 11-09-2007, 02:14 AM

[ QUOTE ]

15 minutes of work for a 5 hour table? Really, you're going with that ratio? You think perhaps there might be some stuff going on behind the scenes?

[/ QUOTE ]

Obviously it's not that low - but let's take a middle of the road restaurant, around $20/head. Party of 6. Let's go long and say the party is there for 2 hours.

With drinks, the bill might come out to $200 or so. At 15%, that's a $30 tip, still averaging $15/hr (and that's assuming the waiter is actually working that full 2 hours and has no other tables.)

It was never uncommon for some of my friends at nicer restaurants to come home with $150 - $200 in their pockets working a 6-7 hour shift.
Old 11-09-2007, 02:18 AM

Jaydub,

I really don't see why I needed to be insulted. I prefaced by saying that I never worked in a restaurant, so anything that I wrote was a layman's view of the whole thing.

Why is 5 hours ridiculous? Too long or too short?

Do servers not make $15/hour? If they don't make at least that much, why not find a better job?
Old 11-09-2007, 02:19 AM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

You clearly have no idea what you are talking about and I would love to have you work one shift in an upscale restaurant.