Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > News, Views, and Gossip
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-10-2007, 01:21 PM

Default Man-machine Post-match Video

Hi,

I'm a member of the University of Alberta team that organized the first man-machine poker championship. I just wanted to let people know that we are finally getting some post-match content up on the website, if you are interested in checking it out. I've been working on some highlight reels for quotes from the players. I've posted a video to youtube of Ali in the first session, and there will a new video for each session up each week. In addition, we are working on some post-match analysis which should be ready in a couple weeks. All of this content is available on the official web page.

A reminder that you can also download the hand histories from the match to peruse and see what you think of Ali, Phil or Polaris' play. You can even play against Polaris on Poker-Academy Online.

Herald
Old 10-10-2007, 01:54 PM

Default Re: Man-machine Post-match Video

There is a part of me that does not like even legitimate poker bots because of what it might do to the online community.
Old 10-10-2007, 06:27 PM

Location: You just can\'t deal with the fact that I have a superthin wife with huge cans.

Why did they pick somebody who plays like a set mining bot to play against a bot.
Old 10-11-2007, 03:49 PM

[ QUOTE ]
There is a part of me that does not like even legitimate poker bots because of what it might do to the online community.

[/ QUOTE ]

Like some of my previous posts, it is definitely not our intention to destroy the online community. I am glad that you understand we are developing legitimate poker bots.

[ QUOTE ]
Why did they pick somebody who plays like a set mining bot to play against a bot.

[/ QUOTE ]

Who would you be referring to? Phil readily admitted to us that he isn't the best heads-up limit player out there. That doesn't mean that he isn't a good player. Ali is a very strong heads-up player, but he also didn't name himself as one of the best. Just because these players are not the best in the world doesn't make this match any less meaningful. We gave these players a run for their money, and have some ideas to vastly improve our bot from it's already formidable skill level.

Herald
Old 10-11-2007, 03:58 PM

I'll tell you one thing people would appreciate here is more video of the actual poker and less video of Ali talking
Old 10-11-2007, 04:10 PM

bots are bad for poker period
Old 10-11-2007, 05:51 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I'll tell you one thing people would appreciate here is more video of the actual poker and less video of Ali talking

[/ QUOTE ]

The hand histories are available to be viewed in Poker Academy Prospector. You don't have to purchase the software, to check it out -- I believe you can just download the trial and the hand histories and have a look.

We've tried to get some sort of video going with the hand information overlayed. The trouble is that I don't know much about video editing, and this is a painstaking process to do by hand. One of the former members of our group got something sort of working, but it's got some problems that mean that we won't be able to do that right away.

So ... the highlight quote reel is what you get for now. We'll see what we can come up with for comments about particular hands later.

Herald
Old 10-12-2007, 12:41 AM

Default Re: Man-machine Post-match Video *DELETED*

Post deleted by Dids
Old 10-12-2007, 11:51 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Herald,

Hey did you ever see Terminator 2?

Remember the part where Linda Hamiltion's character goes to that scientist's house to kill him, to prevent him from creating the technology (in the future) that causes the robot revolution thing?

Just something for you and your friends to think about.

[/ QUOTE ]

I really don't appreciate getting threatened. Was that your intent?

Like it or not, this research is ongoing. Think of it this way though: if we are doing this research, it opens awareness to what bots are capable of. There's a lot of misinformation out there and a lot of people who think that it is impossible to program a good bot. As a result of our research we raise awareness and will get people to fight to improve bot detection in online card rooms.

Look at it another way. These bots are a tremendous learning tool. The bots may not be perfect, but they play the game incredibly strongly. If you pay attention, you can learn a lot by playing against the bot. I've had a few PMs of people who have played against the bot in Poker Academy Online and they've had a lot of good comments about how they learned a lot. These bots have a lot of legitimate uses, not to mention the knowledge gained in our research that might apply to other domains.

Please don't threaten me.
Herald
Old 10-12-2007, 11:52 AM

The 2nd video featuring Phil in the public seat is now up on the man-machine web page. Enjoy!