Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Books and Publications
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-03-2006, 12:13 PM

Default Best book for the \"psychology\" side of poker?

I have the following books:

GSIH
SSHE
SS

I would really like a book on the "mindset" / thought-processes of poker players.

I feel I have enough books (for now) on the mechanics of the game. I am looking for something on the mental aspects.

The ones I have heard of are:
Inside the Poker Mind
Zen and the Art of Poker

Any recommendations greatly appreciated.

Many thanks
Regards,
Ian
Old 01-03-2006, 12:33 PM

Default Re: Best book for the \"psychology\" side of poker?

Besides Inside the poker mind, I recommend Psychology of Poker by Schoonmaker. Another great 2+2 book. Does an excellent job of providing a base of information.
Old 01-03-2006, 12:46 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Besides Inside the poker mind, I recommend Psychology of Poker by Schoonmaker. Another great 2+2 book. Does an excellent job of providing a base of information.

[/ QUOTE ]

Are these two books similar? If so, would anyone dare to say which is better- or at least which one I should get first?

Thanks,
Ian
Old 01-03-2006, 01:03 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Are these two books similar? or at least which one I should get first?

[/ QUOTE ]

I haven't read either, but I've heard nothing but good reviews of Psychology of Poker.
Old 01-03-2006, 01:11 PM

Inside the Poker Mind is mostly about how a good player thinks. That is, about how you should be thinking.

Psychology of Poker covers how every type of poker player actually thinks. What motivates a fish for example. It's a great help in avoiding the egotistic fallacy. (Ie, he can't have that hand because I'd never play it that way!) Understanding fish is good, it allows you to give them more motivation to give their cash to you.
Old 01-03-2006, 01:24 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Are these two books similar? If so, would anyone dare to say which is better- or at least which one I should get first?

Thanks,
Ian

[/ QUOTE ]

They are only similar in that they both deal with the mind set of poker players. The Psychology of Poker classifies players into categories, you are asked to self-evaluate your preferences, gives you the weaknesses and stregnths of each profile, and gives information about dealing with the miscellaneous topics (i.e. poker as a sole income is one topic).

Inside the Poker Mind is a collection of essays that take the concepts we have read, discussed, learned (or still learning) as it applies to the psyche of players at the table. (Poker and Emotion is a very good section!)

One is not better than the other but it does depend on how you like to read. I read The Psychology of Poker first and when I read Inside the Poker Mind, it was more interesting to me. If you like the practical before the theoretical, read Inside the Poker Mind first.

Both are highly recommended.

HTH
Old 01-04-2006, 03:52 AM

Inside the Poker Mind is cash money. A must read.
Old 01-04-2006, 05:06 AM

I agree with the comments that POP and ITPM are both excellent books. Certainly worth the price of admission if you spend any time putting $ on a poker table. I would not overlook Larry Phillips' Zen and the Art of Poker in addition to these however. This book generally is directed at the psychology of the player himself rather than the other players at the table. I found it to be excellent food for thought in terms of patience at a tournament table. It would be very good reading for anyone who has a tendency to tilt. I think all three are very good books. BTW, I was not as impressed by Phillips' book The Tao of Poker.

Doc [img]/images/graemlins/cool.gif[/img]
Old 01-04-2006, 12:34 PM

if you can find a copy of "Poker Faces" by David Hayano it is also very good. It is a little bit dated but it deals with the make up and psychology of poker players. Also, Mark Gregorich is doing a series in Card Player Magazine on playing professionally which should add some insight into the psychological make up of poker players.
Old 01-04-2006, 04:29 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I agree with the comments that POP and ITPM are both excellent books. Certainly worth the price of admission if you spend any time putting $ on a poker table. I would not overlook Larry Phillips' Zen and the Art of Poker in addition to these however. This book generally is directed at the psychology of the player himself rather than the other players at the table. I found it to be excellent food for thought in terms of patience at a tournament table. It would be very good reading for anyone who has a tendency to tilt. I think all three are very good books. BTW, I was not as impressed by Phillips' book The Tao of Poker.

Doc [img]/images/graemlins/cool.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm currently reading The Zen of Poker. I am finding that I have to filter out the strategy advice, but it is not a horrible book in terms of emotional control.

It is repetitive, but I don't mind that as much as I need to read some of the Zen aspects multiple times before grasping the concepts.

I tried reading The Zen of Poker as I was learning the strategic aspects of the game and the book was frustrating to read. I'm not saying that I have mastered the strategy of poker as I still have plenty to learn, but I didn't start reading The Zen of Poker until I had a good foundation.

Therefore, I would recommend reading the other psychology books first.