Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Health and Fitness
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-20-2007, 01:10 AM

Default n00b posts workout videos,, gets help?

Title says it all, I took a couple videos of my workout today in hopes that I could get some help with my form. A little background, I've been lifting since about January, I just donked around at first. Recently I bought Starting Strength mainly on the recommendation of this board. I've read through it once and plan to a few more times. I've been following the program for a few weeks although I've been playing with my form a lot so the weight has not always progressed as recommended.

Currently I'm at:

Squat 165 lbs. , Bench 125 lbs., Deadlift 250 lbs. - The three videos.

also Press 80 lbs., Row 100 lbs.

Feel free to rip on my form, crappy weights, 80's gloves, and general goofiness, it can only help. I realize these angles aren't perfect but I'm working with what I have.

First video-

Squat Side View

Unsure of lower back position here, depth, and how far forward my knees are.

Squat Bar Position

Unsure of bar position on my back, does it look correct? Also unsure of left arm position, sometimes that elbow hurts and I think I see why.

Bench One Side View

This made me realize my set-up and bar path sucks pretty hard, hopefully I improved on the second set. I'm bringing the bar too far towards my head on the way up right?

Here is number 2:

Bench Press 2, better?

Here is my deadlift, I thought my form was great on this but after seeing the video I'm not so sure. This was 250 lbs. the most weight I've done yet. I realize the angle is not the best. It seems like I'm not bringing the bar back down correctly, I'll have to re-read that section in Starting Strength.

Deadlift

Thanks for any help.
Old 06-20-2007, 01:17 AM

Default Re: n00b posts workout videos,, gets help?

I wasn't positive but it seemed like you were rounding your back a little on the squats, keep that ass out so your back doesn't round.
Old 06-20-2007, 01:51 AM

1- You seem to make good use of basement storage space

2- You're rounding your back with the deadlifts (I think... kinda cut off though). It's a super common problem. Try to get your ass lower at the start of the lift... maybe mess around with an empty bar before loading up so you can get the "groove" down so to speak.

Edit to add: T-nation did a good series recently on fixing deadlift form... I haven't compared and contrasted it with respect to Starting Strength but I think the T-nation tips are solid and very in depth with respect to common form problems
Old 06-20-2007, 02:05 AM

Squats look pretty good, but your lower back is rounding at the bottom - tight hamstrings. Everyone has this problem including me. Stretch after you lift everytime, probably wouldn't hurt to stretch before bed too. In the meantime I'd suggest you don't go so deep (still past parallel though). As well, I don't think you should descend so fast, no need to take a 5 count on the way down, but still a little more control would be better. You are exploding up which is good. Bar position looks fine.

Deadlift, I couldn't really tell very well from the clip. It does look like you might be lifting with your back too much. Remember to not let your hips rise faster than your shoulders on the way. For the negative portion you look fine, no need to come down in a super slow negative and you're keeping the bar under control. As long as your lower back keeps its arch you should be fine.

Ditch the gloves for some chalk moran!
Old 06-20-2007, 02:50 AM

squat looks pretty good overall. Don't bounce at the bottom though. Lower back *looks* good, although it's hard to tell without slow-mo or screen capture. The last rep your back rounded, you can tell because it looks like your butt comes under your body. That is bad.

Deadlift doesn't look that good. You have body movement before the bar even moves. Like you're trying to get momentum to pull the bar. Bend your knees just enough so that you can grip the bar and have your shoulder blades over the bar. Remember you're pulling it up with your lower back and hammies and not just one of those. No momentum should be built up before the bar moves.

EDIT: I see the same thing as smiley
Old 06-20-2007, 08:05 AM

Keeping your chin up and back flat will solve all the problems. Deadlift especially.
Old 06-20-2007, 08:56 AM

I have no idea whether any of it's good or bad, but in bench press 2 it looks like you need to breath man.
Old 06-20-2007, 01:46 PM

lol @ gloves and deadlifting in tennis shoes.