Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-01-2007, 02:05 AM

Default Re: How to Wear a Button Up Shirt

button down shirts can have button down collars but when most people say "button down" or "button down shirt" they are talking about a collared shirt with buttons all down the front. ive never heard "button down" refer to a collar without it being explicitly stated "button down collar"
Old 10-01-2007, 05:28 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
put me down for the don't tuck in, unbuttoned on top, and no shirt underneath. if you have a hairy chest, you don't want to be attracting girls that don't like hairy chests.
and yes, wear a hat.

[/ QUOTE ]

Dude...no. Unless you're talking about bars with like live music. Who would wear a hat to a nice club/lounge/bar? That would look silly.

[/ QUOTE ]

maybe on you....Dude
Old 10-01-2007, 09:33 AM

[ QUOTE ]
button down shirts can have button down collars but when most people say "button down" or "button down shirt" they are talking about a collared shirt with buttons all down the front. ive never heard "button down" refer to a collar without it being explicitly stated "button down collar"

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah. So a shirt with buttons all the way up the front but no buttons for the collar is not a "button-down shirt"? I've never heard it like this.

I didn't know there was a differentiation between "dress shirts" whose collars button down or not.
Old 10-01-2007, 10:01 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
i always thought buttondown means there are buttons on the collar that you can button down? so if there are no buttons on the collar then its not a buttondown? is this wrong?

[/ QUOTE ]

What Country are you from?

EDIT: Sorry I shouldn't be so harsh. A button-down is a shirt in which you fasten by buttoning all the way up the front. Has nothing to do with the collar.

Dress shirts with only 2 or 3 buttons towards the top (and short sleeves) are known as polos.

[/ QUOTE ]

He's asking about shirts where you can button down the collar, not polos.

[/ QUOTE ]

I know that, shirts where you can button down the collar or not have no bearing on whether it's a "button up". I was just giving him an example of a dress shirt that wouldn't be considered a "button up", in a polo.

[/ QUOTE ]

wtf, you button up? it's called a button down for a reason
Old 10-01-2007, 10:27 AM

[ QUOTE ]
never tuck. unbutton the top two buttons. and always unbutton the cuffs.

[/ QUOTE ]

i disagree with the cuffs.

also, if you are going to wear a shirt untucked ***make sure it's not eight inches longer in the back***

a lot of dress shirts are longer in the back and look like [censored] untucked. take them to a tailor if you're going to wear them untucked.

-Tex
Old 10-01-2007, 11:57 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
i always thought buttondown means there are buttons on the collar that you can button down? so if there are no buttons on the collar then its not a buttondown? is this wrong?

[/ QUOTE ]

EDIT: Sorry I shouldn't be so harsh. A button-down is a shirt in which you fasten by buttoning all the way up the front. Has nothing to do with the collar.

Dress shirts with only 2 or 3 buttons towards the top (and short sleeves) are known as polos.

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I know that, shirts where you can button down the collar or not have no bearing on whether it's a "button up". I was just giving him an example of a dress shirt that wouldn't be considered a "button up", in a polo.

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

To be fair, I usually start about 3 buttons down and go down, then I come back up to the top 1 or 2. Also, read the thread title.
Old 10-01-2007, 12:06 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

To be fair, I usually start about 3 buttons down and go down, then I come back up to the top 1 or 2. Also, read the thread title.

[/ QUOTE ]

Wow you suck really hardcore. What kind of immature hick are you? Your best play is to start at the top and go straight down (hence button DOWN shirt is why they call it that) not buttoning the bottom button at all, tuck in, then unbutton the top one. Voila, it's businesstime.

Listen
Learn
Apply
Profit

EDIT are you french? <font color="white"> voila le whitetext </font>
Old 10-01-2007, 12:07 PM

*sigh*

Officially, it's a dress shirt, and yes, the collars that you can button are called "button down collars."
Old 10-01-2007, 12:24 PM

[Cliffs Notes gimmick account]Many people prefer certain styles, many others prefer opposite styles. Repeat.[/Cliffs Notes gimmick account]