Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Sporting Events
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-13-2006, 01:37 AM

Default Re: Official NHL 2006-07 Regular Season Thread

Noone is talking about the Minnesota Wild....yet.

Obviously we are lucky to be 4-0, but we look real good this year. Lemaire has always coaxed the maximum out of our meager talent, this year we still have the discipline and the teamwork but now we have skill and speed. We finally have a legit first line with the Slovaks and Pierre Marc-Bouchard has been very impressive so far. Our PP unit has looked good as well...8-23 so far.
Old 10-13-2006, 01:41 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
It's OK guys, you can give up now. The Sharks WILL win the cup this year.

[/ QUOTE ]

Im suprised that no one has mentioned the Sharks. Youngest, Heaviest, and 4 tallest team in the NHL. Has 2 superstars and 2 no 1 goalies. After watching them play the first three games they have clearly been the better team. Their speed is going to mean a lot of penalties, and Thorton is scary on the PP.

[/ QUOTE ]

2 of a good thing is not better than 1 when that thing is an NHL netminder.
Old 10-13-2006, 05:19 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Question for those who know the NHL.

I don't know all that much about hockey, but I have been a Blue Jackets fan since they joined the NHL a few years ago. I have been to some games in previous years, haven't had a chance this year yet. Anyways, they have looked good so far, but they have sucked in the past. Do they have a chance to make the playoffs this year? Seems like all of these high draft picks are starting to pan out, and they finally signed some FAs.

[/ QUOTE ]

I picked Columbus to finish out of the playoffs - but I also picked Buffalo, Edmonton, and Carolina to finish out of the playoffs last year (and picked Columbus to finish 2nd in the West, haha). That reminds me, I think I'll put my pre-season picks on this thread later.

Things to like about Columbus: their forwards. Rick Nash is a beast, Nikolai Zherdev has the talent to be a big scorer, and they have two solid offensive lines. Vyborny is underrated and Brule and Fritsche are good prospects. Who knows how much Sergei Fedorov has left in the tank, but it can't be bad to have a Hall of Fame center coming back in a few weeks - and Sergei's always been solid defensively even if the offense isn't there.

Things to dislike: Their defense. I've no idea who Aaron Johnson or Ole-Kristian Tollefson is. Adam Foote is okay, but no one else is particularly good - Anders Eriksson washed out of the NHL before and I've never liked Ron Hainsey. Some teams have made it into the playoffs with a lot of unknowns on defense, but it takes commitment to a system and some guys playing over their heads.

Pascal Leclaire is the wildcard - he's been a big-time prospect for several years and Columbus finally got Marc Denis out of his way. It's his net in Columbus - I think he'll perform but I haven't seen much of him.

Columbus definitely has a shot - everyone out West does, it's a remarkably tight conference. If Chicago [censored] the bed, that's two possible soft teams in the division for Columbus to beat up on - problem is, the two other teams are Nashville and Detroit.
Old 10-13-2006, 05:22 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
This has got to be the first time there are 3 natural hat tricks in one night.

[/ QUOTE ]

I strongly doubt it.

[/ QUOTE ]

I wouldn't. Natural hat tricks is the key word. Given that the NHL had 6 teams for half a century, this would be damn near impossible during that era.

I thought natural hat tricks had to come in the 3rd period - I think there's a dispute about that.
Old 10-13-2006, 08:12 AM

[ QUOTE ]

I thought natural hat tricks had to come in the 3rd period - I think there's a dispute about that

[/ QUOTE ]

It doesn't matter what period it's in. They just have to be 3 consecutive goals.
Old 10-13-2006, 09:24 AM

I may have been wrong about Lundqvist not being consistent. Actually maybe I'm not...he's been consistently not good this year. [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

Actually, the entire Rangers team has played crappily so far. I'm hoping it's just some growing pains with all the new faces.

Renney needs to get Kasper back on the ice.
Old 10-13-2006, 02:59 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

I thought natural hat tricks had to come in the 3rd period - I think there's a dispute about that

[/ QUOTE ]

It doesn't matter what period it's in. They just have to be 3 consecutive goals.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm pretty sure natural hat tricks mean 3 goals in a game without any of them being an pulled goalie score.

EDIT :

Wiki - The term natural hat trick refers to when a player scores three goals consecutively in a single game. The goals do not have to happen in the same period.

Oops, guess I'm wrong [img]/images/graemlins/blush.gif[/img]
Old 10-13-2006, 03:29 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm pretty sure natural hat tricks mean 3 goals in a game without any of them being an pulled goalie score.

EDIT :

Wiki - The term natural hat trick refers to when a player scores three goals consecutively in a single game. The goals do not have to happen in the same period.

Oops, guess I'm wrong [img]/images/graemlins/blush.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

Told you - you're the phb of NHL discussion. A natural hat trick is very rare - my guess is there might've not even been 3 all last season, and scoring was up.
Old 10-13-2006, 03:40 PM

[ QUOTE ]

Told you - you're the phb of NHL discussion.

[/ QUOTE ]

[img]/images/graemlins/crazy.gif[/img]

Dude, I played Hockey in middle school, respect my authoritay!
Old 10-13-2006, 04:41 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
It's OK guys, you can give up now. The Sharks WILL win the cup this year.

[/ QUOTE ]

Im suprised that no one has mentioned the Sharks. Youngest, Heaviest, and 4 tallest team in the NHL. Has 2 superstars and 2 no 1 goalies. After watching them play the first three games they have clearly been the better team. Their speed is going to mean a lot of penalties, and Thorton is scary on the PP.

[/ QUOTE ]

2 of a good thing is not better than 1 when that thing is an NHL netminder.

[/ QUOTE ]

Riiiiiiiiiiiight... because the Sens and Preds loved having only one true starter last year in the playoffs. Who wants to start Nabokov or Toskala when they have youngster Emery or the 30-year-old-AHLer Mason?

I'd be willing to bet both of those teams would rather have Nabby/Toskala as a back up over Emery/Mason. Plus, having 2 #1's means you can trade 1 without destroying your team.

Look at Buffalo, they didn't throw away Biron just because they found Miller. Same with Anaheim... they kept Bryz.