Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Brick and Mortar
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-23-2007, 10:54 AM

Default Found a rare rock

trip to turning stone i sat down at 1/2 nl for about 6 hours.

i was doing very well and was scanning the table for people who had been along for the entire session

i noticed a guy across from me who had been there since before i sat down, and literally did not play any pots....was about 20-25 yrs old also...not exactly playing like the new breed of players

i guess my question is...whats the point of going/playing if youre gonna be like that..

then again, i guess im what the old timers hate at the tables
Old 04-23-2007, 01:13 PM

Default Re: Found a rare rock

I don't know if this applies to this kid but in one of Mike Cairo's books (mabey Skalansky) He talks about conducting expereiments where you go and don't play any hands to appreciate the small amount of money this costs you. Or perhaps he is experimenting with "what If I only play premium hands". In the end I don't think it matters so have fun stealing his blinds
Old 04-23-2007, 01:24 PM

Usually it is a 'kid' who is the supernit at the table...either very old or very young. Doesn't surprise me at all.

90% of them are playing over their rolls/heads and afraid to lose the money.
Old 04-23-2007, 01:31 PM

im a total rock at live poker.

why?

because i go to vegas with $800 of gambling money and want it to last an entire weekend.

if i win, great. but im not trying to make +ev decisions every hand. i'm trying to scoop pots, not lose my roll, and enjoy the rest of what vegas has to offer!

i'm a self-proclaimed 21 y/o nit.
Old 04-23-2007, 02:29 PM

[ QUOTE ]
i guess my question is...whats the point of going/playing if youre gonna be like that..

[/ QUOTE ]

Maybe the guy wasn't getting any cards? Are you suggesting that he should mix it up in pots just to have fun? [img]/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img]
Old 04-23-2007, 02:41 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Maybe the guy wasn't getting any cards? Are you suggesting that he should mix it up in pots just to have fun? [img]/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]
We love to hear "I didn't sit on a plane for 5 hours to watch other people play poker--I'm here to play!" as someone is explaining why he cold called a preflop raise to $40 in NL1/2 with $200-$300 stacks with 98, and then called the $200 all-in after a 972 flop.
Old 04-23-2007, 09:24 PM

There are a few possibilities, which have basically been mentioned.
He could be shortrolled, so he is waiting for a big hand to get hopefully get paid off by someone not noticing his rockiness (usually most of the table).
He could really not be getting any cards, and isnt the type to try to make a play with offsuited unconnectors.
He could just be a really tight player who is waiting for a hand to get paid off with. The risk is much lower and it is still +EV, since most of the players won't notice (or care) how tight he is playing.
Old 04-23-2007, 09:37 PM

The player was probably a weak/tight player that was no getting great starting hands and he was waiting for AK and 10's and up pairs. I have seen one of these preflop ABC weak tights before
Old 04-23-2007, 10:23 PM

[ QUOTE ]
There are a few possibilities, which have basically been mentioned.
He could be shortrolled, so he is waiting for a big hand to get hopefully get paid off by someone not noticing his rockiness (usually most of the table).
He could really not be getting any cards, and isnt the type to try to make a play with offsuited unconnectors.
He could just be a really tight player who is waiting for a hand to get paid off with. The risk is much lower and it is still +EV, since most of the players won't notice (or care) how tight he is playing.

[/ QUOTE ]
How true is it that people don't notice that you're a rock? Back when I started out, I did play like a rock, and people never failed to label me as such to the whole table. Even now, when I think I LAGed up my play quite a bit, I still get called a rock occasionally. Could it be a Vegas/AC difference?
Old 04-23-2007, 10:56 PM

[ QUOTE ]
trip to turning stone i sat down at 1/2 nl for about 6 hours.

i was doing very well and was scanning the table for people who had been along for the entire session

i noticed a guy across from me who had been there since before i sat down,

[/ QUOTE ]

Am I understanding you correctly, here? It took you 6 hours to notice this rock that had been sitting across from you the entire time? Just checking...

Maybe he was just there for the free booze? [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]