Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Sporting Events
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-20-2007, 02:45 AM

Default Re: Prop bet- Tuan Le vs. Antoine Walker, 1-on-1

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

-Walker cannot shoot from inside 22 ft

[/ QUOTE ]

How is this any different than when he is playing in the NBA?

[/ QUOTE ]

I love you
Old 09-20-2007, 02:57 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Tuan...would get a maximum of 2 rebounds off Walker misses the whole game.

[/ QUOTE ]

why does everyone think this? If Le stands 2 ft in front of the basket, Walker is spotting him 20 ft on every shot. Wouldn't Le be able to rebound a good amount of Walker's misses?
Old 09-20-2007, 03:15 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Tuan would have no purpose guarding Walker at the 22ft line so he should be sitting by the rim hoping for a rebound. Walker can counter this by shooting a very high arc shot, and attacking for the rebound, which he will get nearly 100% of the time.

[/ QUOTE ]

If Antoine Walker had this deep an understanding of strategy, he surely would bothered to show it sometime during his 10+ year career.

And, the high arc shot, like every other, isn't in his arsenal.
Old 09-20-2007, 04:10 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

why does everyone think this? If Le stands 2 ft in front of the basket, Walker is spotting him 20 ft on every shot. Wouldn't Le be able to rebound a good amount of Walker's misses?

[/ QUOTE ]yes, because walker's feet will be cemented to the floor.
Old 09-20-2007, 04:21 AM

I think whatever team Antoine plays for will not allow him to run around a court in slippery dress shoes, or whatever.
Old 09-20-2007, 04:31 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

You obviously don't play much basketball.
On a 22-foot shot, what are the chances the ball lands within 2 feet of the rim? Probably none, if the ball clanks off the rim, it will go quite a distance. Not to mention the time 'Toine has to run for the rebound while the ball is in the air. He just has to shoot the ball and crash the boards in case he misses. I'll take the 6'9" player over the 5'2" player in this.
Old 09-20-2007, 05:14 AM

[ QUOTE ]
On a 22-foot shot, what are the chances the ball lands within 2 feet of the rim? Probably none, if the ball clanks off the rim, it will go quite a distance. Not to mention the time 'Toine has to run for the rebound while the ball is in the air. He just has to shoot the ball and crash the boards in case he misses. I'll take the 6'9" player over the 5'2" player in this.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is wrong.

In going for a loose ball, size is irrelevant. In a one-on-one game (where one player has to shoot from three), most misses will hit the floor before either player gets to the ball. In this case, quickness is more important than size.

The defender will always have an advantage; Antoine has to follow through on his shot.

Even with Walker's quick release (thanks to his horrible mechanics), Tuan will always have around a one second head-start on the ball.

Even if the ball doesn't hit the floor, and Walker finds a way to get near it, height wouldn't matter. He could be eight feet tall; it doesn't change the fact that Tuan will almost always have superior position for the rebound, and that going over-the-back is illegal.
Old 09-20-2007, 07:19 AM

apparently no one on this site ever watches Pros vs Joes. The Joes on that show are clearly very good at basketball, most of them around 6-4, and are the most dominant big men in their local pickup game.

They usually play retired non-stars like John Starks and Mark Jackson, and they get HANDLED. EASILY.

Now we're talking about a gambling Asian man less than six feet who I doubt dominates local pickup games. Against a player similar to the skill level of Starks and Jackson relatively, but who hasn't been retired for 5 years already. This one isn't even going to be close.
Old 09-20-2007, 07:36 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

This is wrong.

In going for a loose ball, size is irrelevant. In a one-on-one game (where one player has to shoot from three), most misses will hit the floor before either player gets to the ball. In this case, quickness is more important than size.

The defender will always have an advantage; Antoine has to follow through on his shot.

Even with Walker's quick release (thanks to his horrible mechanics), Tuan will always have around a one second head-start on the ball.

Even if the ball doesn't hit the floor, and Walker finds a way to get near it, height wouldn't matter. He could be eight feet tall; it doesn't change the fact that Tuan will almost always have superior position for the rebound, and that going over-the-back is illegal.

[/ QUOTE ]

Do you really think over-the-back fouls will be called in this game? If he mentioned that there would be actually be refs present then I missed that.

When a shooter (in this case, Antoine) shoots the ball, only he knows where the ball will end up. This negates the "one-second head start on the ball" and makes Tuan's "positional advantage" less significant.

I'm gonna take back my statement that Tuan would grab only 2 boards because I know that shooting from 3, there would be times when it's impossible for him to grab the rebound. That being said, Toine will still roll in this game because as bad as he shoots in NBA games, I'm sure he'll have no problem without a defender in his face.
Old 09-20-2007, 07:52 AM

2 rebounds? If it's winner's ball than Tuan Le is gonna be lucky to even get to attempt to grab 2 rebounds.

There's no way Walker will be shooting below 50% in a setting like this, no way. I easily see him go 12/12 or something like 6/7+6/6 and yes I am very much aware that we're talking about one of the worst chuckers in the NBA.

Considering Walker is a NBA player his skills, wingspan and athleticism are going to be vastly superior to that of Tuan Le. And on top of that he is a lot taller. I honestly doubt Tuan Le can get a single (!) shot off that won't be blocked unless Walker lets him*.

In summary... I'd be extremely suprised by any score other than 12-9 for Walker.

* I do assume Tuan Le has to dribble a rebound outside the 3 point line before he can score as per regular 1-on-1 rules.