Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Sporting Events
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-18-2007, 01:23 AM

Default Re: Big 4 Sports All-Time Love-em/Hate-em Teams

ArcticKnight:

their coach and players from 1998-2004. Every penalty called on the Leafs, the ref got an earful. Every thug who could skate a bit got a shot with the Leafs. They weren't dominant, but damn they were annoying.

Habs have been mostly harmless since I've been an NHL fan. That shows no signs of letting up. They can't attract free agents without severely overpaying, and yet the team is good enough to contend for the playoffs every year.
Old 09-18-2007, 01:39 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Cowboys hate = cocky, America's team, squeaky-clean

[/ QUOTE ]

Wtf? It has been a verrrrrry long time since squeeky-clean Staubach has been at the helm. Dallas has been one of the more controversial teams for two decades now. This still isn't why they are hated though.

The quintessential love-em/hate-em teams are the teams that are still talked about when they suck balls. When the Yankees/Cowboys/Lakers suck the media as well as fans and non-supporters are still talking about them.
Old 09-18-2007, 01:47 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

Nah...most people who don't like the leafs, just feel sorry for them - don't hate them...lol.

[/ QUOTE ]

wrong.

i think leafs, avs or red wings all have a claim to this in hockey.

[/ QUOTE ]

QFT... nobody hates the Habs, everyone hates the Leafs and Avs

[/ QUOTE ]

I think age has lots to do with this. In the late 60s and 70s the Canadiens dominated and were hated. The Flyers had a "hated" period too, but I really don't think anything on the hockey side can compare to the Yankees and the Cowboys.

However, it you want to go all the way back for the last 80 years or so, The Canadiens were at least as loved/hated as the Yankees. I don't think any team has more championships than the Yankees and/or the Canadiens.

Anyway, I don't see how the Toronto can fit in this category. They have not won a thing since 1967, which leaves them having absolutely having nothing in common with the Yankees, Cowboys or Lakers. Maybe it's just me, but unless you dominated at some point I don't see how too much hate could be built up.

[/ QUOTE ]

Don't the Leafs have the 2nd most Stanley Cups won all-time? So technically they did "dominate at some point."

Funny that when the Leafs go to places like Atlanta or Florida there is more Leafs fans in the stands. I don't know if this is true for the Habs. The most dedicated fans love them, but they are hated due to their obnoxious fanbase and the douchebaggery (or awesomeness, whichever way you look at it) of recent years by Corson, Tucker and Domi.
Old 09-18-2007, 01:53 AM

[ QUOTE ]
ArcticKnight:

their coach and players from 1998-2004. Every penalty called on the Leafs, the ref got an earful. Every thug who could skate a bit got a shot with the Leafs. They weren't dominant, but damn they were annoying.

[/ QUOTE ]

this is correct. the leafs are old and dirty and full of whiners. sort of like the utah jazz late in the stockton/malone era. also among canadians there is the perception that they are favorites of the league and referees due to TV contracts etc.
Old 09-18-2007, 02:16 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

Nah...most people who don't like the leafs, just feel sorry for them - don't hate them...lol.

[/ QUOTE ]

wrong.

i think leafs, avs or red wings all have a claim to this in hockey.

[/ QUOTE ]

QFT... nobody hates the Habs, everyone hates the Leafs and Avs

[/ QUOTE ]

I think age has lots to do with this. In the late 60s and 70s the Canadiens dominated and were hated. The Flyers had a "hated" period too, but I really don't think anything on the hockey side can compare to the Yankees and the Cowboys.

However, it you want to go all the way back for the last 80 years or so, The Canadiens were at least as loved/hated as the Yankees. I don't think any team has more championships than the Yankees and/or the Canadiens.

Anyway, I don't see how the Toronto can fit in this category. They have not won a thing since 1967, which leaves them having absolutely having nothing in common with the Yankees, Cowboys or Lakers. Maybe it's just me, but unless you dominated at some point I don't see how too much hate could be built up.

[/ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]
Don't the Leafs have the 2nd most Stanley Cups won all-time? So technically they did "dominate at some point."

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes..you are correct the leafs were dominant in the 1940's and they did win a cup 41 year ago.

I lol at people who confuse hate with being mocked. The leafs are too pathetic to hate.

If you are a Red sox fan you hate the Yankees cause they owned you over the years. Giants, Skins, etc hate the Cowboys for the same reason. Lakers too.

Who have the leafs owned? Who could hate them for being losers?
Old 09-18-2007, 02:30 AM

these are the teams I hate:

White Sox/Cubs/Yankees/Red Sox
Bears
Celtics
any team from Canada