Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Health and Fitness
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-16-2007, 07:01 AM

Default Re: The 1 hour run

I'm a big guy too, and I've been trying to stay off my feet as much as I can as I play rugby on a sturday and that more than enough impact for one week.

If your joints or back or whatever is hurting everyday, and you keep doing it, you will do yourself a very serious injury. I'm talking permanant knee or back damage that could prevent you from excersising properly or even walking.

Get on a rowing machine, or a cross trainer, or go for a swim, or something. If you want to, keep up the hour a day, but make sure you are doing different things every day.

That said, I think you should take at least one day off a week, and ideally two.

It sounds like you are really motivated and thats great, but you need to train a bit smarter or you will wind up hurting yourself.
Old 11-16-2007, 11:38 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
3. I find that making sure u run EVERYDAY is crucial even if you don't get a great workout when ur feeling tired or whatever because it's all about forming a habit. Habits are hard to break but taking 1 day off makes it ez to take the next day off etc etc.

[/ QUOTE ]

Going everyday is good for habit forming but not good for your body. You need to rest and recover at some point or you'll break down. It's amazing that you haven't hurt yourself yet. If you took 5 days off I guarantee you'd be amazed at how fast and fresh you feel.

[/ QUOTE ]

Most experts recommend days off to rest. Also do not do the same workout everyday.
Old 11-17-2007, 09:43 PM

Hey guys.
So i wanted to speak a bit more about this. I agree that overextending your body with the same grueling workout everyday is not really sustainable. But I think this idea is more about transitioning from Obesity to a good BMI range which i am currently on a very nice track of achieving.

So if I achieve a healthy BMI, (perhaps u don't even think i will get that far), but if i do, your suggesting that I will be unable to sustain 1 hour run everyday over the long term correct?

Hmmm... it's going so well, but i guess i could see myself falling off track at some point if were to suffer a real injury or something. I'll let u guys know how it goes and just test out some ideas such as mixing up some other cardio
machines maybe playing some basketball instead.

g
Old 11-17-2007, 11:03 PM

[ QUOTE ]

So if I achieve a healthy BMI, (perhaps u don't even think i will get that far), but if i do, your suggesting that I will be unable to sustain 1 hour run everyday over the long term correct?

[/ QUOTE ]
Yes, your knees, ankles and feet will be slowly injured. Twisted ankles suck, runner's knee sucks, deteriorating cartilage in the knee sucks, etc. Your joints need rest, or else the weakest links in the chain never get to recuperate, fail, and cause injury. You should definitely mix it up somehow, and have a rest day or lower volume day. Perhaps go for a shorter jog (1o minutes) if you feel like a complete rest day will sidetrack you.
Old 11-19-2007, 08:42 AM

[ QUOTE ]
instead of running at x pace for 60 minutes, run at 6x pace for 10 minutes.

[/ QUOTE ]

I can't believe somebody on a poker form would think that this would work. I thought you people were smart.

First off, its near impossible for anybody to run at 6x the pace they were previously running for longer than a minute or two. Walking pace is 3-4 miles/hr. Second, for somebody that is looking to reduce weight and fat, prolonged periods of cardio is far superior than shorter periods of higher intensity. It has to do with the way your body supplies the muscles with energy. The body doesn't burn fat when you sprint.

Otherwise, good level.
Old 11-19-2007, 09:16 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I can't believe somebody on a poker form would think that this would work. I thought you people were smart.

First off, its near impossible for anybody to run at 6x the pace they were previously running for longer than a minute or two. Walking pace is 3-4 miles/hr. Second, for somebody that is looking to reduce weight and fat, prolonged periods of cardio is far superior than shorter periods of higher intensity. It has to do with the way your body supplies the muscles with energy. The body doesn't burn fat when you sprint.

Otherwise, good level.

[/ QUOTE ]
OMG, can... open... worms... everywhere!!
Old 11-19-2007, 08:06 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
Yes, your knees, ankles and feet will be slowly injured. Twisted ankles suck, runner's knee sucks, deteriorating cartilage in the knee sucks, etc. Your joints need rest, or else the weakest links in the chain never get to recuperate, fail, and cause injury. You should definitely mix it up somehow, and have a rest day or lower volume day. Perhaps go for a shorter jog (1o minutes) if you feel like a complete rest day will sidetrack you.

[/ QUOTE ]

Not necessarily.
My stepfather played college hockey (35+ years ago) and after graduation slowly grew into obesity. In his late 20s he, like Genius, decided to finally do something about it.

He's 55 now and runs an hour a day. Has for ~30 years. And has only missed about a dozen days in all that time (he actually had one 8.5 year stretch where he did not miss a single day).

While I think that's extreme and I agree that balance and variance in your routine will be good for you (once the habit of health and fitness has been established), it can be dome.
Old 11-20-2007, 12:08 AM

first off, good job getting some exercise into your life (seriously)

secondly, just straight up running and doing nothing else is probably not a great idea as eventually you will burn out of it(this will happen) and mixing in other exercises will prolong this from happening as well as challenging your body in other ways

thirdly, running EVERYDAY (i assume you actually do mean every single day with absolutely no days off) is pretty bad for your body (even if its only a few miles each day)... your body definitely needs at least 1 rest day per week (or at least 1 day of something less intensive... maybe just 1 hr of mild walking?)

fourth, have you considered adding weight lifting into your routine? I combined weight lifting with the exercise I got from my ultimate frisbee teams workouts and dropped about 60 lbs my freshman year of college (now a senior, have not gained the weight back)... lifting will build muscle (ldo) but also will help you tone and tighten your (soon to be) loose skin as well as adding even more variety (and in my case became something I really enjoy)

just some suggestions, but keep up the good work, it definitely WILL pay off if you keep committed to it
Old 11-20-2007, 12:33 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Otherwise, good level.

[/ QUOTE ]

Oh boy... I'll just assume you are talking to yourself with the last sentence.
Old 11-20-2007, 12:44 AM

great for you genius.

and i agree 100% with what jgunnip said. an hour run at a slower pace is infinitely better than sprinting for x minutes.

im not sure what your current weight is, but once you get it down manageable it really will be beneficial to you to vary your workouts. interval training, lifting weights, and long jogs like you are doing now should all be a part of your program.

not sure what your diet is also but always remember high protein and low carb is the way to go. gl...

G