Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Limit-->NL
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-06-2007, 10:44 PM

Default Ace-King flop action

1/2 live game
stacks: utg 290 btn has 140 hero covers

reads: UTG is loose preflop to some extent (called $7 raise with 73o in the SB, calls $12 raises with KQo etc). Not too sure about postflop tendencies but he has built up his stack from $100 and does not seem to be out of his mind.

Button is passive so his min-3bet means a big pair or AK.

UTG limps, 2 limpers, Hero in cutoff with A[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] K[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] raises to $15
Button reraises to $30
UTG coldcalls
Hero calls (?)

Flop (3 players, $97) Stacks remaining $260, button $110
K J 8 rainbow
UTG leads out for $50
Hero...?
Old 10-06-2007, 11:15 PM

Default Re: Ace-King flop action

Call and reevaluate based on what button and UTG do. If Button shoves and UTG reshoves, you're toast and can get out cheaply. If Button folds (or hems and haws and just calls), wait to see what UTG does on turn. If Button shoves and UTG folds, call of course. If Button shoves and UTG just calls, I'd probably shove, hoping to get UTG to call with KQ or QT or whatever he has since he feels pot committed, but obviously doesn't have a monster or else he'd have reraised.
Old 10-06-2007, 11:30 PM

[ QUOTE ]
If Button folds (or hems and haws and just calls), wait to see what UTG does on turn.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is what concerned me: I don't really care what button has now, if he has AA/KK/JJ, well I have to pay off. But UTG coldcalled a $30 reraise and now is betting into two preflop raisers (which may be KJ/JJ/KK or something like QT/KQ) and I thought I might face a tricky big bet on the turn if I just called. Obviously if a King or Ace falls on the turn I have to go all the way but any blank?
Old 10-07-2007, 10:56 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
If Button folds (or hems and haws and just calls), wait to see what UTG does on turn.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is what concerned me: I don't really care what button has now, if he has AA/KK/JJ, well I have to pay off. But UTG coldcalled a $30 reraise and now is betting into two preflop raisers (which may be KJ/JJ/KK or something like QT/KQ) and I thought I might face a tricky big bet on the turn if I just called. Obviously if a King or Ace falls on the turn I have to go all the way but any blank?

[/ QUOTE ]

Crappy spot. Call and re-evaluate turn. If button goes all -in, you probably have to fold if UTG pushes over the top. If UTG folds, call button's push and expect to lose usually - will show up here with AA and KK usually, but you're getting a good price to call.
Old 10-07-2007, 11:38 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Crappy spot. Call and re-evaluate turn.

[/ QUOTE ]

I have no clue how to re-evaluate if a blank falls and UTG bets say $100 or just goes all-in for $210. if I call the flop, pot is around $200 for the turn; I'd feel pot-committed and/or conflicted.

This is why I folded and just moved on, but I think I need to be able to "call and re-evaluate" in such situations.

Just what sort of things am I considering when I re-evaluate? I assume this means to evaluate my equity vs. his range given the turn card (K improves it, Q/J/9 probably hurts me, Ace could go either way, any other card is neutral and I have to trust my limited read) - yes?

And the more I think about it, I should definitely be concerned about Button - he almost certainly has AA-JJ/AK of which I am only ahead of QQ and tied with AK.
Old 10-08-2007, 12:53 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Crappy spot. Call and re-evaluate turn.

[/ QUOTE ]

I have no clue how to re-evaluate if a blank falls and UTG bets say $100 or just goes all-in for $210. if I call the flop, pot is around $200 for the turn; I'd feel pot-committed and/or conflicted.

This is why I folded and just moved on, but I think I need to be able to "call and re-evaluate" in such situations.

Just what sort of things am I considering when I re-evaluate? I assume this means to evaluate my equity vs. his range given the turn card (K improves it, Q/J/9 probably hurts me, Ace could go either way, any other card is neutral and I have to trust my limited read) - yes?

And the more I think about it, I should definitely be concerned about Button - he almost certainly has AA-JJ/AK of which I am only ahead of QQ and tied with AK.

[/ QUOTE ]

It depends on the kind of player UTG is. Donking the flop here is a strange move, period and I'm not sure it's the right play with any hand in his range. If he has a monster, he's going to lose action against QQ if button has it; if he has a weak hand, he's going to get stacked - most likely - by you or button.

It's hard to give him a range of hands here. If he's a donk, he could have a hand as weak as top pair (KQ). He also might have a hand like TT and is trying to "see where he's at." He could also have a set, or something. People, especially live players, do odd things.

The point of calling here is to avoid getting stacked some of the time (i.e. when button goes all in and UTG calls). If button folds here (meaning he had QQ or JJ, pretty much), the turn bricks, and UTG bets big again, you need to figure out whether he'd second barrel here with air or bet a marginal hand here. If he's a decent player, a bet on the turn almost certainly means you're beat: You called a scary UTG bet on a K-high flop. If he bets again, he's not worried about TPTK. Some people just don't give up on bluffs, though, so if he's a donk who is capable of stacking off light (or with a bluff), happily call his push on the turn or push over his bet.

If he checks to you and the turn doesn't open up any big draws, I'd probably check behind and let him bluff the river. If he checks the river, I'd make a 1/2PSB or so and hope to get called by a hand like KQ.