Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Internet Gambling > Internet Gambling
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-25-2007, 11:51 PM

Default Re: Official CHECKS information thread

Not that it matters much, but I have been the recipient of a raised eyebrow or two when cashing a couple Pokerstars checks. They were those "CHEXX" checks issued by Pokerstars. Because I'm impatient, rather than depositing it into my bank account, I went to the bank listed on the check (First Bank). The supervisor attempted to interrogate me by asking me questions such as "Is this check an internet check?" Furthermore, I spent five or ten minutes a couple times as the bank tried to ascertain the validity of the check. Apparently, these checks looked suspicious as though they might be fraudulent. At least that's what the teller claimed.

Ultimately, it never mattered as I got my money minus the banks ten dollar check cashing fee. Admittedly, I did have a few anxious moments as I wondered if they'd cash my check. I wasn't willing to give the bank employees any information they didn't need. It's not like I said, "I confess! I'm a no-good piece of crap online gambler and this check is from an illegal offshore poker website!"

Jeffrey
Old 03-26-2007, 01:57 AM

yes that was the question.

just wondering what the normal waiting period was?
Old 03-26-2007, 02:25 AM

[ QUOTE ]
It's not like I said, "I confess! I'm a no-good piece of crap online gambler and this check is from an illegal offshore poker website!"

[/ QUOTE ]

Actually, they probably wouldn't know what you were talking about if you said that.

The question "Is this an internet check?" is because the old CHEXX checks looked similar to the phoney checks that Idi the Nigerian sends, or the ones they send for the "You won the lottery that you never entered, shhhh!" scams.

I think I could overrun this entire country in a few days. All I have to do is raise my eyebrows and say Boo! It seems a large majority of the population will pee their pants and run to mommy.

I wonder how many times a day banks have to deal with goobers trying to cash their phoney sweepstakes checks? The Nigerians are still running all their scams, if they were not still finding suckers, they would have given up. Amazing what a stupid country we have become.
Old 03-27-2007, 12:23 PM

What if my check is lost in the mail?

http://ca.answers.yahoo.com/question/ind...14152723AA0cOPX

Call the pokersite, ask them to put a stop payment on the check and issue a new one.
Old 04-11-2007, 09:52 AM

Default Bank\'s Liability for Paying Stale Dated Check

Question: Stale Dated Check. Our bank was presented with a $700.00 check that we paid one month ago, that was over 6 months old at the time of payment. Can this item be returned or, as I suspect, is it considered a "late return" at this time?

The second half of the question is, what liability does the bank of first deposit have for accepting this item and are we, as the paying bank, responsible, in any way, for having paid a stale dated item?

Answer by Ken Golliher:
Obviously, a physical inspection of the item would have made it apparent to your bank that it was post dated. You had until midnight of the banking day following the banking day of presentment to return the item. After then, it is finally paid and would definitely be a "late return" in the time frame you mention.

The paying bank's only risk in accepting a stale dated item for deposit is if the paying bank returns the item in a timely fashion.

Finally, under the current version of the UCC (check your state's version) the paying bank may pay or return a stale dated check; i.e. it is your option and paying the item imposes no automatic liability on your bank. For the iscussion to go further, your customer would have to have been damaged in some way by the payment and be able to make some allegation that your institution had some demonstrable responsibility to reject the item due to the stale date.

SOURCE: Bankersonline.com
Old 04-16-2007, 04:48 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Well the logo would indicate it is from a poker site, which banks are forbidden from processing transactions for according to the Act. I was wondering if us depositing these checks would fall under the jurisdiction of the Act.

[/ QUOTE ]
Okay, you did not like the correct answer. Here try this one:

OMG!!! Merely having a poker site check is a federal pound you in the ass prison offense. Do not let anyone know you have one of these. Immediately tear any such checks into at least one hundred small pieces. You might want to purchase a professional shredding machine to do this. Then, burn all the pieces. Grind the ashes into dust, and mix with baking soda. This mixing is best performed if you are wearing a tin foil hat. Then on a dark night with no moon, sneak into your backyard. MAKE SURE NO ONE IS WATCHING! Bury the baking soda and ash mixture into a hole that is at least 3 feet deep. You might want to dig the hole before, so the black helicopters do not detect you in the back yard. Carefully cover up the hole, and run around it three times. Then run back into your house quickly! Do not peek out any of the windows -- THEY ARE WATCHING!

There. Is this answer more to your liking?

[/ QUOTE ]

I like you
Old 04-24-2007, 05:13 PM

Is a Check Written on a Paper Napkin Negotiable?
Question: A customer wrote a check using a paper napkin and we don't know whether to pay it or not - what's required to make a check legal?

Answer by John Burnett:
Many banks now have provisions in their deposit contracts allowing the bank to set standards on the form of documents used for the account (this generally refers to deposit tickets and checks). But if the bank has no such provision, or hasn't set the standard for customers, all that is required is that the check be payable to order or bearer, on demand, in an amount that can be determined from the face of the check, that it be signed by the drawer and that the check identify the account from which it is to be paid. In theory, it could be scrawled on the side of a watermelon.

That works if the check is presented directly to the paying bank for payment. The paper napkin or watermelon would not be acceptable for clearing between banks.

SOURCE: Bankersonline.com
Old 04-24-2007, 11:04 PM

[ QUOTE ]
So I make one inquiry into your answer, because I wanted to know not if banks care but if they are supposed to care according to the Act (I know you say they aren't, so I don't need another tirade), and it's immediately into sarcastic attack mode eh? Thanks for being helpful.

[/ QUOTE ]

Some people can't just answer a simple question. They have to do it in an insulting way. Guess, it makes them feel superior. Some people find heavy sarcasm funny. Bleh. Would have liked to hear him say that in front of your face.

By the way, there are some threads on 2+2 about Citizens Bank not being a good place to try gambling checks.
Old 04-24-2007, 11:11 PM

[ QUOTE ]
There is nothing in the UIGE Act that pertains to logos on checks. When you deposit a check in the bank, they care about if it will clear, if the check is good. They do not care if it has pictures of kittens on it, or a picture of Santa Claus.

[/ QUOTE ]

Whoops, I was wrong. Checked earlier in the thread. He answered your question already, but you kept asking the same question again. Now, I get why he was being sarcastic.
Old 05-15-2007, 08:27 PM

"What do I do if I don't want to use a teller because I'm nervous to meet real-life people, and my bank doesn't have ATM deposit?"

Simple. Fill out your deposit forms, endorse your check "FOR DEPOSIT ONLY" with your signature and drop both the form and the check into an envelope. Label the envelope as "Deposit" and place the envelope into your bank's Night Drop Box. The Night Drop Box is normally located near one of the entrance doors on the outer wall of your bank. Pull down the lever that allows access to the night drop chute and drop the envelope into the chute.