Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Micro Stakes
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-24-2007, 06:45 PM

Default 50NL - AQ flops TPGK, I take nonstandard line vs reg

Villain runs like 13/11/5 over a decent sample. We've played a bunch of hands like a year ago at 50NL before I cashed out my roll, and some more at 25NL recently. He's pretty aggro, 3bets me light and plays back sometimes, though I've never seen him do anything too stupid. He should view me as standard TAG.

Thoughts on flop line? What does my hand look like to villain considering I didn't 3bet PF? I think flush draw/combo draw/77. Villain tanked for a fair bit before calling.

PokerStars No-Limit Hold'em, $0.50 BB (6 handed) Poker Stars Converter Tool from FlopTurnRiver.com (Format: 2+2 Forums)

MP ($48.95)
CO ($49.75)
Button ($57.25)
SB ($50.45)
Hero ($57.90)
UTG ($50)

Preflop: Hero is BB with Q[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], A[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img].
<font color="#666666">3 folds</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Button raises to $2</font>, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, Hero calls $1.50.

Flop: ($4.25) A[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], K[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], 7[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
Hero checks, <font color="#CC3333">Button bets $3.5</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises to $12.5</font>, Button calls $9.

Turn: ($29.25) 9[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets $20</font>,
Old 10-24-2007, 06:57 PM

Default Re: 50NL - AQ flops TPGK, I take nonstandard line vs reg

i 3 bet this preflop all day. will make the hand easier to play. (it is much easier to play broadway hands oop with imputus.)

as played this looks fine. u r ahead of his range but there r a ton of draws and betting the turn here and taking down the pot oop is great imo. as long as u do this with a fd or gutter draw or w/e everyt now and again to balance things out then this is fine.
Old 10-24-2007, 07:01 PM

I agree your flop c/r looks like 77 or a draw. Maybe AK.

Not really sure what to say about this hand... as you say it's not standard, and it's good to mix it up sometimes, especially against someone you play with a lot... but it does also illustrate why c/r with medium-strength made hands isn't generally a good idea.

On the turn, I suppose he might think you'll have missed a draw a lot of the time, but how often will he actually get it in with AJ/AT? You also haven't given him much chance to re-bluff you as you've put so much of your stack in.

In short, then, I don't really like it in a vacuum but it might work quite well within a given dynamic. Had you been playing back at his c-bets a lot for example? You probably had a better grasp of this at the time than we do looking at it now.
Old 10-24-2007, 07:01 PM

I'd normally 3bet AJ here, and villain probably knows that which is why I think the hand is interesting.
Old 10-24-2007, 07:49 PM

Interesting hand. When you bet the turn, are you betting for value (ie do you think you're ahead when called), or to protect your hand in case villain is drawing? Would you call with JThh/QJhh out of the blinds (ie could villain call with weak aces here putting you on a draw?)

One possibility (may be bad, I'm fairly noob) is to check the turn, and fire on river if villain checks behind. This represents a missed flush to me (unless of course the flush card hits... hmm), and would likely get called down lighter than when you bet the turn.