FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-26-2007, 10:42 PM

Default Re: Prop bet thread

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
in another forum, 2+2er Apathy had a prop bet with Usher and Durr that he could do 1000 pushups in one 24-hour period. He made it to about 630 and quit.

Irieguy has now booked the same bet....I have action against him...

personally, I think it's close to impossible for 99% of the population...

[/ QUOTE ]

I could do this fairly easily, Im pretty sure most guys who workout pretty hard could too. The world record is like 10k pushups in a day. Thats 40 pushups per hour, if you think that 99% of people cant do this, you should def take tex's proposed bet of 500 body weight bench presses in a day.

[/ QUOTE ]

maybe you're right and it's easier than I think...the people doing it are degenerate gamblers who don't take care of their bodies very well, so it's VERY hard for them. [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

10,000 in one day? really??

[/ QUOTE ]

Ya, I looked it up 10,400 or something like that. And yes, I agree 99.99% of degenerate gamblers could not do this, you have to be in reasonable shape to get through 1000. I think it would be trivial if you did 500 at 11pm, went to bed at 1am, after eating a carb heavy meal, and then woke up and did the rest after 10 hours of sleep.

[/ QUOTE ]

propbet that this isnt right?

10.5k is nonstop, 46k in 24 hours, 3.8k 1 hour, etc.

http://www.recordholders.org/en/list/pushups.html

[/ QUOTE ]

oh. wow. woops. holy [censored]. 46,000 in one day? omg.
Old 07-26-2007, 10:43 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
i think there are lot of things were doing 1/10th of what the world record is very difficult. push ups i definitely one such thing in my book. i very firmly believe that 99.5%+ of the population can't do this.

if you look at the population of people willing to take the bet well obviously you have some serious self-weighting problems. i don't think its as big of an issue as other bets because its something that people just naturally grossly overestimate their abilities with.

[/ QUOTE ]

I have no way to prove it, but Id get 100k together and bet you at 2:1 odds that more than .05% of the population of the US can do this. Anyone who plays pro sports, most people in the military, Id bet most HS athletes, all college athletes. Its not something Im grossly overestimating, its not that tough. Subfallen did it fairly easily from what I read in teh health and fitness forum. If you can do 50 to 100 in a row, you can probably do 1000 in a day. but Im not positive about that in any regard, its what my gut tells me though

[/ QUOTE ]

ok, i did this yesterday. more than 1% of the population could do this. guaranteed.

1K in pushups.
here is how i broke them down:
100 when i woke up at 10am 40/40/20
played 2 hours of tennis, did 100 more 25/25/25/25
did some errands
ran a 5k on treadmill 4pm
went to the gym at 5pm, did crossfit warmup and lifted legs a bit and did 200 pushups there in sets of 25
had dinner, went to my poker game at 7pm
did 5 sets of 20 every hour for 4hrs so had 800 total done by about 1am (i kept forgetting to do them) then game got shorthanded and didn't want to keep getting up to do them, felt a bit silly, lol

got home at 5am did 200 really fast because i was sleepy and wanted to go to bed, not that big of deal, no fatigue doing them, a bit sore today.

i am in good shape, pretty strong, but can only do 50 or 60 pushups before failure, 100 straight is much much harder than people think, less than 1% of the population could do that i would guess.

vast difference between 1k and 10k in a day, like a world. i think my cut off would be 5k and that would take a monster monster effort. 1k very easy though for almost anyone in reasonable shape.

my new prop bet would be to do 1k in pushups everyday for a month, do you think everyone could do that?

later. J.
Old 07-26-2007, 10:45 PM

One dude did 1.5mil in a year, so 4k/day for a year?

I think I could do 100 w/o stopping, the 1k in 24hrs, maybe even 2k, not sure.
Old 07-26-2007, 10:46 PM

Wow. I just looked at those records. Those numbers are just sick.
Old 07-26-2007, 10:47 PM

a bit sore today.

my new prop bet would be to do 1k in pushups everyday for a month, do you think everyone could do that?

If you can do the 1k in 24 hours, Im betting you could do it everyday for 30 days, fairly easily based on teh info you gave. maybe 75% of people who can do 1k/day, can do 30days?
Old 07-26-2007, 10:50 PM

[ QUOTE ]
x-1 that my 2007 gross cashes will be better than BOTH Alan S and Justin B? Or, vs. either individually.

Not saying I will want the action (though maybe), but I'm curious what line people would set. I assume we'll play a similar amount of tourneys for the rest of 2007. (Also, I do not consider myself one of the 10 best tournament players).

2007 so far according to Hendon Mob:

Alan: 323K
ZJ: 384K
Me: 435K

[/ QUOTE ]
Shane,
I'm interested.
Old 07-26-2007, 10:51 PM

-shemp

i won't be able to give you action, i live in the middle of nowhere and not willing to bet enough to go through the effort frankly (mostly because of the self-weighting nature of such bets as has been discussed earlier).

but if any fitness prop was going to get action in this thread, i am guessing it would be something like the one we are talking about.

its pretty unrealistic to try and arrange such prop bets on an online poker forum for obvious reasons though.
Old 07-26-2007, 10:56 PM

I'm sure I could do 1k pushups in 24 hours, not that I want to make a bet on it, because I"m not really a degen :P

But I think it'd be doable for anyone who works out reglarly
Old 07-26-2007, 11:37 PM

[ QUOTE ]
a bit sore today.

If you can do the 1k in 24 hours, Im betting you could do it everyday for 30 days, fairly easily based on teh info you gave. maybe 75% of people who can do 1k/day, can do 30days?

[/ QUOTE ]

be more about fighting boredom and some form of repetitive use injury, but sure i could do it if i had to.

the record numbers are so unbelievable......wow.
and again i say 100 w/o stopping is much harder than 1k in 24 hours. MUCH

what would be a good bet for doing 1k in (given my info)
3hrs or so? (talking an even money line bet)

later. J.
Old 07-26-2007, 11:39 PM

lol 1k in 3 hours would be ridiculously hard