Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-17-2007, 01:20 PM

Default Re: exotic meats

Frog legs: not bad but wouldn't eat again. Not tasty enough to justify eating that nasty little thing

Snails: texture is exactly like you'd expect. It's kinda slimy and crunchy at the same time. The only thing that makes it almost edible is the garlic butter.

Soft Crab: Usually deep-fried. Only crab i know that you eat *with* the shell. It's actually really nice. The shell taste a bit like fried chicken skin.

Brain: Veal or lamb. I used to love it when i was a kid. Boiled with a little bit of lemon juice. I haven't eaten any in years and don't think i will.
Old 07-17-2007, 01:33 PM

Dog is pretty good I thought.
Old 07-17-2007, 01:37 PM

Had bear. Tough, not as good flavor as beef.
Old 07-17-2007, 01:46 PM

[ QUOTE ]
What is really funny about this whole trend is that people are paying tons of money, to eat crap. Snoot, ears, feet, tail, those are [censored] parts of the pig, and the only reason to eat them is because there was nothing else available. People are paying top dollar to eat like poor people, and dont even realize it.

[/ QUOTE ]

Testa? That's headcheese, which Batali defines this way: "You take everything north of the shoulder on a pig--the eyebrows, a big hunk of nostril, all that good stuff--and put it in a pot." Boil and serve as an appetizer--for $10, at Batali's flagship restaurant, Babbo. .... Three, Batali thinks it's funny to serve headcheese for 10 bucks.

Time article on Batali
Old 07-17-2007, 02:41 PM

I don't know if there is one around wherever you are from, but look for a Brazilian churrascaria. It's an all-you-can-eat style restaurant where they have guys walking around with various meats on a skewer and cut you pieces at your request. If you find a good one, there will be tons of exotic meats. That's how I've tried alligator, quail, and a couple other meats I'm not remembering.

Also, one of my new favorites are frozen buffalo burger patties from Trader Joe's. They cook really quick, they are pretty tasty, and it's something like 15g fat & 45g protein per patty. Fairly heathly as meat goes.
Old 07-17-2007, 02:44 PM

All,

wrt to buffalo, always check the package/menu for "100% buffalo" or "90%" or whatever. Buffalo is so lean that most places selling buffalo burgers actually cut it with beef, to aid in ease of cooking. Some places that have buffalo are actually serving you as much as 50% beef.
Old 07-17-2007, 02:49 PM

Buffalo/Bison is awesome and getting pretty common around here (mid hudson area of NY). From burgers (you can even get them at Ruby Tuesdays, a chain of sorts) to steaks to jerky, it's great.

Alligator tail is also great. I prefer fried with a variety of dipping sauces. Easy to find in FL and LA.

I have tried Rabbit and found it a bit greasy-ish and gamier than I'd like, but that could be the way it was prepared.

Ostrich is next on the list, supposed to be very healthy and tasty but never tried it. They carry it in one of the local supermarkets but I don't think it sells very often (and therefore is not likely fresh, imo).
Old 07-17-2007, 03:08 PM

Abaloney but its prolly the most expensive thing ever.
Old 07-17-2007, 03:08 PM

I don't know whether to be relieved or disappointed that this thread is not actually about, as I first read it, erotic meats.
Old 07-17-2007, 03:14 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I don't know whether to be relieved or disappointed that this thread is not actually about, as I first read it, erotic meats.

[/ QUOTE ]

It was briefly with guids' mention of tubesteak.