Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Poker Theory
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-08-2007, 01:01 AM

Default Taking people out of their element

I just had an idea and since the human brain forgets most ideas within ten seconds, I thought that I would write it down here since I am currently on my laptop. I haven't edited it, nor do I think that it is an original idea. Rather, I am just writing it out unedited so that I can clarify my thoughts, and just maybe, someone will take something away from it.

The best way to counter someones strategy is to play in such a way that takes them out of their element. What do I mean by this? I mean that in order to maximize your EV against a difficult opponent, you must play in a way that makes them change their play in a manner that is uncomfortable to them. Let me illustrate what I mean here. During the majority of my tenure as a player, I have played borderline recklessly aggressive. I felt the most comfort in games in which the table would let me bully everyone. Now, most people would probably say that the logical way to counter this is to play aggressively back. However, by doing so, this doesn't make me uncomfortable as I will still be playing aggressively. The correct way to play against me would have been to be very passive/trappy. These types of players are the ones that gave me fits because I couldn't play aggressively against them and I was taken out of my comfort zone.
Old 07-08-2007, 02:20 AM

Default Re: Taking people out of their element

So you're saying that I should play the opposite of what others at the table are playing? [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]
Old 07-08-2007, 03:26 PM

opposite players on tables are very cheating and considers hacking
Old 07-08-2007, 07:01 PM

[ QUOTE ]
So you're saying that I should play the opposite of what others at the table are playing? [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

Not necessarily. I'm saying that you should play in such a way that forces your opponent to play in a manner that he is unaccustomed to. Now, I know that this is by no means groundbreaking stuff. I just typed it up to clarify some thoughts in my own head as writing is one of the best things that you can do to improve your thought process.
Old 07-08-2007, 08:46 PM

the best example of this is when a 6max game breaks up and there are 4 or less players and 1 is a 10/10/oo nit, and you can just pound them and pound them, forcing them to play a different style to that which they are used to. if they don't adapt, they get killed. (although, they normally just leave....)
Old 07-09-2007, 06:33 AM

what has this got to do with mathematical probability theory??????? [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]