Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Politics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-16-2007, 06:30 PM

Default Lets talk Presidency, Kasparov?

Although he hasn't officially thrown his hat in the ring, it seems he is headed that way. Even if he doesn't run, he is focusing on politics and becoming increasingly more involved and more influential. A huge part of this is due to his 'celebrity' status. However differing from a celebrity here getting involved in politics and Kasparov, is that Kasparov is a celebrity due to his intelligence and critical thinking skills.

Here is a LINK to an interview with him.

from an NYT article

[ QUOTE ]

THIS is not the place Mr. Kasparov expected to be when he resigned from the world of professional chess two years ago, quitting while still the highest-ranked player, if no longer the world champion. He is a famous man and a wealthy one, the author of numerous books on chess and its lessons for life, who is now leading acts of civil disobedience in an uphill battle to protest Mr. Putin’s policies.

[/ QUOTE ]

NYT

It seems he is most upset with the level of corruption in Russia and the further encroachment of Putin's regime upon Freedoms people should have.
Old 03-16-2007, 06:41 PM

Default Re: Lets talk Presidency, Kasparov?

president of russia right?

the guy absolutely hates putin. his hate for putin has been his favorite thing to talk about for sometime.

I think putin is pretty unpopular these days. so i dunno, maybe he has a shot. i don't really have my finger on the pulse of russia though.

i like the guy and think he is pretty brilliant. I'd like to see what he could do in the world of politics. i have mixed feelings on how good of an executive he would make.

is there a site that talks about this guys stance on the issues? i only know his stances on russian foriegn policy, putin, and his ideas on the war. is he a free trade/pro market guy?
Old 03-16-2007, 07:00 PM

Does it say anything about our two countries when we had President Reagan and they might have President Kasparov? I mean this as a serious question?
Old 03-16-2007, 07:06 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Does it say anything about our two countries when we had President Reagan and they might have President Kasparov? I mean this as a serious question?

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm pretty sure Bobby Fischer for president might lead to the end of the world, so, I'm not going to look negatively at that.
Old 03-16-2007, 07:07 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

i think career politicians and political family dynasties are much more troubling.

if clinton is elected, the presidency will have gone bush clinton clinton bush bush clinton? clinton??. also during that time there have been a couple bush governorships (GHWB's VP during the reagan years!). see also, the kennedy's.
Old 03-16-2007, 07:08 PM

I wish him luck. One of the smartest guys around. I absolutely loved his computerized chess board when I was a kid.

For those in the know, what is the reaction been of the Russian public concerning the recent tragic accidents and suicides of Russian journalists and Putin critics? Are they so accustomed to this type of tyranny that it is viewed as a normal thing?
Old 03-16-2007, 07:11 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

i think career politicians and political family dynasties are much more troubling.

if clinton is elected, the presidency will have gone bush clinton clinton bush bush clinton? clinton??. also during that time there have been a couple bush governorships (GHWB's VP during the reagan years!). see also, the kennedy's.

[/ QUOTE ]

Its nothing new, see also, Adams.
Old 03-16-2007, 07:53 PM

[ QUOTE ]

Its nothing new, see also, Adams.

[/ QUOTE ]

yea we all know its nothing new, my point is that its much more troubling.
Old 03-16-2007, 08:05 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm pretty sure Bobby Fischer for president might lead to the end of the world, so, I'm not going to look negatively at that.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is funny.

(For anyone that doesn't know, Fischer is rabidly anti-semetic. He's also half-Jewish. And really, really insane.)
Old 03-17-2007, 03:33 AM

Default End game

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

I'm pretty sure Bobby Fischer for president might lead to the end of the world.

[/ QUOTE ]

For anyone that doesn't know, Fischer is rabidly anti-semetic. He's also half-Jewish. And really, really insane.

[/ QUOTE ]Fischer is currently living in Iceland.

But even president of Iceland would be serious trouble. Björk would be safer.

I was thinking perhaps Bobby Fischer as president of one of those tiny, tiny island nations in the Pacific. A bald, bearded old man, wearing dead flowers around his neck, sandals and white wooly socks, on the beach, entertaining bums and journalists from around the world with his insights about the latest world conspiracy, and demonstrating his invention, sand chess.