Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Golf
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-13-2007, 05:52 AM

Default Re: Biggest Golf Pet Peeve

In defence of starters (having been one) and rangers, their purpose is simply to eliminate conflict, establish order, illuminate local rules and move things along in the most expeditious manner possible. Clearly, some do this better than others and some are notoriously imperious -- Colin Montgomerie’s father at Troon was a prime example.

On singles (although admittedly a grand way to enjoy the day), they, by rule, have no standing on the golf course and are almost always impractical -- a steady flow of foursomes is always preferable and two-somes, unless engaged in a formal match, are discouraged as well.

One perceptual difficulty with precedence and speed of play is the cultural disconnect between the folks in the U.K. who originated the rules and the Americans who attempt to make them their own. Outside the U.S., golf is customarily a matter of affinity, not class, and local competitions are a club-wide weekly, even bi-weekly affair, where players walk, in groups of four. The rules of golf were designed to accommodate this custom; players generally have read and understand the rules and abide by them. Many, if not most players, were taught basic golf etiquette via a junior golf program.

In the U.S., local competitions are not widespread, club membership is almost always a function of class and wealth, course design and operations economics discourage walking, the population on a course is less likely to be acquainted, and very few players actually bother to read and attempt to understand the rules. And, because playing privileges are based on wealth, committee and staff have insufficient authority to insist that high standards are enforced.

It is a difficult chore for the USGA, which is run by upper-class country clubbers, to modify European rules and customs to fit American clubs, publinks and resorts, with their varying needs. And the PGA struggles as well, since modern economics has reduced course professionals in the States to little more than shopkeepers, with almost no authority to influence behaviour without putting their livelihoods in jeopardy.
Old 07-14-2007, 10:20 AM

[ QUOTE ]
On singles (although admittedly a grand way to enjoy the day), they, by rule, have no standing on the golf course and are almost always impractical -- a steady flow of foursomes is always preferable and two-somes, unless engaged in a formal match, are discouraged as well.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm not talking about a full or even busy golf course. The course I was trying to tee of on was empty for a half hour before I teed off. I wouldn't have run into anyone for a while. Instead, I had to wait 20 minutes and play the round in close to double the time behind a foursome. How is that more practical?

On the other occasion, I was in the middle of my round. I would have paced myself behind the group in front of me. Are you telling me because my playing partners left me, I have lost right and standing to be in my place on the golf course? Should I have to suffer and wait because I might "disrupt flow" by holding my group's spot?
Old 07-14-2007, 12:09 PM

Mid afternoon, playing 18 holes and things are flying along with no one in front of you and then getting to the 10th hole, getting backed up by all the twilight rate 9 holers allowed to go off the back.
Old 07-14-2007, 12:28 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Mid afternoon, playing 18 holes and things are flying along with no one in front of you and then getting to the 10th hole, getting backed up by all the twilight rate 9 holers allowed to go off the back.

[/ QUOTE ]

Ugh. Same goes for when they put groups off the front and back in the morning, then when you come off one side, there's still 4 groups in line to tee off on the other, and you have to wait for all of them because the starter "didn't expect you to be done yet."
Old 07-15-2007, 10:40 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Ugh. Same goes for when they put groups off the front and back in the morning, then when you come off one side, there's still 4 groups in line to tee off on the other, and you have to wait for all of them because the starter "didn't expect you to be done yet."

[/ QUOTE ]

To avoid this you ask them what their expected pace of play is. When they say 2:10 and you make the turn in 1:30 you wont be so stupefied. Everyone wants to play golf in the morning so courses split the tees to accommodate more people.
Old 07-15-2007, 01:42 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

To avoid this you ask them what their expected pace of play is. When they say 2:10 and you make the turn in 1:30 you wont be so stupefied. Everyone wants to play golf in the morning so courses split the tees to accommodate more people.

[/ QUOTE ]

So then we can be pissed 2 hours earlier when they say "two and a half"? [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img] Cuz that's what it's like in the example I can remember.

I definitely understand what you mean, and I know sending people off both sides is common. IIRC that time we were the only people he told to go off the back, however, and we were a twosome in a cart and finished in 1:30. We didn't ask to go off the back--he told us. Starter should have expected us back in less than two and a half, or should have at least let us cut the line to tee off the front.

Wow, it's amazing how "Biggest Golf Pet Peeve" has turned into a huge thread of "bitch about everything that's ever pissed you off on a golf course before." [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 07-15-2007, 06:59 PM

...watching a 15 year old kid stand on the tee trying to bounce a ball off his driver over and over again and then hit it like in the Tiger commercial which he never did...while we are waiting for them to go...then hitting 2 into the woods off the actual tee...

...it appeared he was with his grandfather too, who was allowing it..[censored] retards
Old 07-14-2007, 12:17 PM

Playing links golf then some random old doger starts walking his K9 down every fairway and doesnt give a sh**t cos he knows he has right of way
Old 07-14-2007, 09:54 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Playing links golf then some random old doger starts walking his K9 down every fairway and doesnt give a sh**t cos he knows he has right of way

[/ QUOTE ]

What? For real? Is this in England?