Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Tournament Poker > MTT Strategy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-09-2007, 10:47 AM

Default $12 45 player MTSNG Missed Opportunity?

Looking back at this hand I am undecided if it was a good fold or a missed opportunity. Had roughly 50 hands on both players and they were both around 25/8 and had not been in any big confrontations that I had seen and had been rather passive both pre-flop and on all streets. I called in the SB when maybe I should have raised but my main question is can I call here behind a push and a call?

Poker Stars, $11 + $1 NL Hold'em Tournament, 100/200 Blinds, 8 Players
LeggoPoker Hand History Converter

Hero (SB): 2,010
BB: 2,900
UTG: 1,850
UTG+1: 4,285
MP1: 2,415
MP2: 3,055
CO: 5,775
BTN: 4,725

Pre-Flop: (300) 9[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 9[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] dealt to Hero (SB)
4 folds, CO calls 200, BTN folds, Hero calls 100, <font color="red">BB raises to 2,900 and is All-In</font>, CO calls 2,700, Hero folds
Old 11-09-2007, 10:52 AM

Default Re: $12 45 player MTSNG Missed Opportunity?

how could you not raise/push this preflop with 10BB left?????
Old 11-09-2007, 10:52 AM

As played fold I guess.

You should have beaten BB to it and shoved yourself when it came around the first time to the SB over a weak limper with a chance to add 25% to your stack.
Old 11-09-2007, 11:02 AM

[ QUOTE ]
how could you not raise/push this preflop with 10BB left?????

[/ QUOTE ]

I talked myself out of it. It was my first instinct to do exactly that but as passive as both players had been I felt it more advantageous to call here and push any flop with halfway decent texture. I honestly felt this was a make or break hand and looking back I would have just pushed pre-flop but with my read at the time I let my nitty side pop out.
Old 11-09-2007, 11:12 AM

[ QUOTE ]
It was my first instinct to do exactly that but as passive as both players had been I felt it more advantageous to call here and push any flop with halfway decent texture.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is not a good play with 99, as there will be overcards on nearly every flop and you won't be up against 2 opponents. 99 is simply too weak for a multiway pot, where you don't improve to trips.

I think this is the main problem in this hand.

As played I would still call and pray, cause you are too short to let this situation pass.
Old 11-09-2007, 11:18 AM

I was so confused I guess because BB flipped ove A 3 and co had A 9 and the board paired so A 9 was good and I would have won the hand had I called since it missed both of them. Both hands were definitely weaker than I could have imagined here, I figured to be up against at least 2 overs or a bigger pair in this spot.

But then again if they were KK vs AK I would have been happy with the fold. Poker!!
Old 11-09-2007, 11:44 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I was so confused I guess because BB flipped ove A 3 and co had A 9 and the board paired so A 9 was good and I would have won the hand had I called since it missed both of them. Both hands were definitely weaker than I could have imagined here, I figured to be up against at least 2 overs or a bigger pair in this spot.

But then again if they were KK vs AK I would have been happy with the fold. Poker!!

[/ QUOTE ]

Umm did you really expect to get shown AK and KK when CO limped and you limped and BB shoved at the dead money in the pot? I mean I would have expected a little stronger than what they had, but not nearly that strong. I'm not gonna bother saying call because I know the results, but you absolutely have to push this PF, and doing anything but that is a huge mistake.
Old 11-09-2007, 12:05 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Umm did you really expect to get shown AK and KK when CO limped and you limped and BB shoved at the dead money in the pot? I mean I would have expected a little stronger than what they had, but not nearly that strong. I'm not gonna bother saying call because I know the results, but you absolutely have to push this PF, and doing anything but that is a huge mistake.

[/ QUOTE ]

I did not expect to see that strong a hand but I think you see a lot of hands here that have 99 dominated. With stack sizes vs blinds and antes it is an easy call and even easier push pre flop. I need to beat the nit beast out of myself, it sometimes costs me money lol.
Old 11-09-2007, 12:21 PM

[ QUOTE ]
This is not a good play with 99, as there will be overcards on nearly every flop and you won't be up against 2 opponents. 99 is simply too weak for a multiway pot, where you don't improve to trips.

I think this is the main problem in this hand.

As played I would still call and pray, cause you are too short to let this situation pass.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes -- this is an insta-push when it gets to you and an insta-call when BB pushes.
Old 11-09-2007, 02:15 PM

Quick question from a fool (me) - is this still a call after the CO calls the AI, and if so, why? IF CO had folded I'd shove instantly, but COs call (to me) indicates significant strength, irrespective of what he ended up showing (which surprised me a bit)