Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Micro Stakes
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Closed Thread

Old 09-26-2007, 02:07 PM

Default Full Ring vs 6 max

I play mainly 6 max 25 and 50nl on Stars and am profitable at this level. I am going to expirament with full ring. What are the main paramount differences between the two? I have thousands of hands at 6 max but never have played full ring. Is it typically looser than 6 max or does it just depend? Thanks in advance for your input.
Old 09-26-2007, 02:23 PM

Default Re: Full Ring vs 6 max

There is not as much difference between the 2 as people would have you believe, at least not at micro stakes anyway. You do need to play VERY tight in EP at FR because obviously there are more opponents who could find a hand.

Peoples mind sets can be slightly different at FR. As a result you will probably find you can bluff more in FR as this game does not attract the gamblers that short-handed games do.
Old 09-26-2007, 02:33 PM

The theory goes as far as i see it. 6-,ax has less players so you play more hands to compensate for the blinds going round quicker
playing more hands leads to making more decisions

leads to (if a good player) more correct decisions

leads to more profit
if you're profitable i'd stay at 6-max

but if you want to play it, play tight in EP as mentioned, blind stealing becomes less important as you don't have to pay them as much. apart from that remember to concentrate on all players. you can get into multiway pots more in theory (table dependant) so suited connectors and small pairs go up in value if you get in cheap
Old 09-26-2007, 02:46 PM

I am profitable at 6 max but one thing that is becoming more and more apparent is that in 6 max it seems like every time I pick up a premium hand I cannot maximize the profitability of that hand. I know it is just me thinking it is a problem but having it folded around to me in SB or BB holding AA or KK or AK sucks and it happened 5 times yesterday in less than 400 hands. I am just thinking that I would have better chances of a multiway pot with more players than in 6 max.

On the flip side by virtue of playing more hands at 6 max, I average seeing aroung 25-30% of flops, you get those beautiful hidden monsters that usually get paid off. I guess that would happen some in FR as well but I would think as a TAG player I would only see 18-20% of flops in full ring and that may affect my profitability.

Which table type do you prefer and why?
Old 09-26-2007, 02:56 PM

dyou want to see a multiway flop with AA?
i sure as hell don't,
if i could win the blinds every hand on the BB on when i raised and everyone folded that'd be my ideal table.
Old 09-26-2007, 03:05 PM

I see what you are saying and agree to a point. I do not want to be A against more than 1 or 2 players at the most. I am talking about being in the BB, one player sitting out(always at 6 max) and it folding around to me in BB. I do not want to be in multi way pot with AA or KK but would like to see a flop.

It just seems like every time lately I pick up a premium I only win the blinds, or even worse only the SB. Maybe I am just at nitty tables. Ran great for weeks and big hands got paid off but am only up 14 bb over last 400 hands and am trying to explore why after averaging more than that per 100 hands for months at 25 and 50nl.

Probably just variance but hard to take without some adjustments.
Old 09-26-2007, 03:50 PM

With the info you are posting it could be variance, table nittiness or a mix of both. I think that if you are playing 25-30% of hands and are raising in the blinds with other worthy hands for value (high cards, pocket pairs, suited connectors, and other creative blind steals), eventually your big pocket pairs are going to get some action. If your BB is really tight, couldn't raising more often with lesser quality hands be a possible option?

Also, for me, I'd rather play something like AA or KK in a 6max as I find in full rings, play is tighter and unless villain flops some very strong hand or one that dominates me, unless he is a donk, I'm not going to make that much on a hand.
Old 09-26-2007, 04:15 PM

Shaolin I think for one I am undervaluing the stealing of blinds at this level. Another thing I have found going thru my HH is I seem to be open limping a lot more recently and I have to force myself out of that. When you enter a pot what % of the time are you raising?

Maybe when I open limp, hit set, slowplay an aggressive opponent then show down a set it is not such a good thing as I will not get as much action when I want it. Am I thinking right there? I have always heard you have to give action to get action and maybe I have been way too tight in regard to raising and way too loose in how many hands I play.

As a player that built his entire roll in Sit n Gos and tourneys the transition to cash has been challenging. I started at 5nl, then 10nl and now 25nl mainly. My roll would support 50nl with the 20 buy in rule but subconsciousely I play way too timid at that level so I am waiting til I have 30-40 buy ins before moving up any further. I can consistently win at tourneys and still play them but ring seems to be a more profitable way to use my limited playing time more profitably. I only have 30-50 hours per month to play and want to use it to build my roll so I can really make some money.

My conclusion from the responses is that 6max plays a bit looser than full ring and if I am winning there that is where I should stay. Am I correct to make the assumption that usually a player would move from full ring to 6 max not vice versa?

I can give all the tourney advice you need but ring game is a different animal altogether. Thank you for your advice and hope to see you at Stars 25nl 6 max.
Old 09-26-2007, 05:28 PM

As someone posted before,

Imagine a table of the worst nits you have seen all jerking off in a circular manner on one little scared lag-donk.

See the picture? Bottom line:

- its very boring
- less winrate
- less swingy (more nutpedalling)
Old 09-26-2007, 05:35 PM

[ QUOTE ]
As someone posted before,

Imagine a table of the worst nits you have seen all jerking off in a circular manner on one little scared lag-donk.

See the picture? Bottom line:

- its very boring
- less winrate
- less swingy (more nutpedalling)

[/ QUOTE ]

I assume you are referring to full ring, right?
Closed Thread