Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Medium Stakes
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-17-2007, 11:10 PM

Default AK Hand Analysis

I know I played this hand incorrectly, but I want to get some opinions on how to play it better. I have some of my own ideas, but I don't have any serious players to discuss them with.

I was playing 2-5 in AC at the Taj and ran my 500 up to about 1.1k. I haven't been playing to crazy and just playing a tight-medium tight game (Loose players kind of handcuffed the game). I get dealt AK off suit in 1st position. I raise it up to 20 and get called in 3 spots in back of me.

Flop comes Kd6h2s. I bet out 75 and get called in one spot by stack that also had a lot of money. I have had position on him on many pots up to this point and won every one on the flop. He seemed like a competent player, but I would not say he was good by any means.

Turn is a 7d. I go ahead and bet another 100. He flat calls after some thought.

River is a 5d. I bet 150 and get reraised another 150 by him. I eventually make a crying call since the pot was just too large to lay my hand down for only 150 more.

He showed me Jd8d.

I think I should have bet about 150 on the turn and checked the river if I got called. Figuring no hand weaker than mine could call 150 on the end. Probably make a call on the end hoping he was bluffing or betting a stupid hand he thinks for value. Other way I think I could have played it was bet my 100 and then check the river to control pot size. Maybe get him to make a bluff bet that I can call. I definitely think my bet on the end can come of no good in the long run as it did here.

How do you think I should have played it differently?

Thanks,

Angel
Old 09-18-2007, 12:10 AM

Default Re: AK Hand Analysis

Well first of all I think preflop and flop are ok.
You should bet about 180 min on the turn and 375 on the river. He sounds like a bit of a calling station.