Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Tournament Poker > MTT Strategy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-29-2007, 09:52 AM

Default 77 in SB How would you play this?

No real reads yet, just your usual early play loosy goosy in the Turbo $12 -180. I have problems spewing a bit with those medium pocket pairs, matter of fact in PT over a small sample size of less than 100 tourneys my biggest losing hands are PP below 99. How would you play this against unknowns and would this have been a time to come over the top without any real reads.

Poker Stars, $11 + $1 NL Hold'em Tournament, 10/20 Blinds, 8 Players
LegoPoker Hand History Converter

UTG: 1,940
UTG+1: 1,930
MP1: 1,640
MP2: 1,490
CO: 2,270
BTN: 1,320
Hero (SB): 1,480
BB: 1,480

Pre-Flop: (30) 7[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 7[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] dealt to Hero (SB)
2 folds, UTG+1 calls 20, MP1 folds, MP2 calls 20, <font color="red">CO raises to 120</font>, BTN folds, Hero calls 110, BB folds, UTG+1 calls 100, MP2 calls 100

Flop: (500) K[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 8[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 9[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] (4 Players)
Hero checks, UTG+1 checks, MP2 checks, <font color="red">CO bets 180</font>, Hero ????

Results: 500 Pot (500 Rake)
Old 10-29-2007, 09:56 AM

Default Re: 77 in SB How would you play this?

fold

side note to OP: if this is actually a serious hand, you may need to re-evaluate your game a bit because this hand is extremely basic and actually belongs in something like a beginners forum. i suggest you do a lot more reading if hands like this often give you trouble.

and just so this isn't super LC, reasons this hand is super basic and an easy fold:

1) CO raised preflop, he could already have you beaten.

2) you are calling for set value and you missed your set. fold.

3) there are 3 overcards to your pair, including one card that people love to play, and is most definitely in villains range.

4) you should be more wary of "unknown" villains. coming over the top here against one would be absolutely horrendous because we only make that type of play against "knowns" that we have reads on.

5) you have a billion people left to act behind you. this makes the decision so much easier than it already is
Old 10-29-2007, 10:13 AM

benneh nailed it

Preflop: good
Flop: fold
Old 10-29-2007, 10:21 AM

OP's post is concerned with the size of villain's bet (180 into 500 and in position) and he probably thinks that given the action, he can put in a substantial RR and take the pot down. I MAY like this move later on where you are more desperate for chip accumulation. Probably not because the board is loaded and you don't know your opponent. Take notes at this level and play ABC, you don't need to do anything fancy.

Barry
Old 10-29-2007, 10:26 AM

[ QUOTE ]
OP's post is concerned with the size of villain's bet (180 into 500 and in position) and he probably thinks that given the action, he can put in a substantial RR and take the pot down. I MAY like this move later on where you are more desperate for chip accumulation. Probably not because the board is loaded and you don't know your opponent. Take notes at this level and play ABC, you don't need to do anything fancy.

Barry

[/ QUOTE ]

That ias exactly the question I had and I agree with your analysis. I did fold but couldnt help think I could have taken it down with a re-raise but decided this early I am going to see K 8 or something silly like that.

Really trying to plug my leak of spewing with medium PP. I lose a lot of T$ with these hands and am trying to post some medium PP hands for some advice. Thanks