Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-11-2007, 04:54 PM

Default ? about counteroffers after you put in 2-weeks notice

I have worked at a large engineering firm for the past 2.25 years and put in my resignation this past Friday to take an engineering position at a smaller firm. Tomorrow I'm meeting with my manager and his manager and I'm sure they're going to throw some money at me.

While money is part of the reason I'm leaving, it isn't the main one. My question is, if they offer me enough money that makes me decide to stay, how secure will my job there be?

The headhunter is telling me that there's a 90% chance I'd be released within 6 months. This doesn't sound very reasonable to me because someone with my experience is somewhat difficult to find, and I don't trust her because she doesn't make any money if I don't take the new job. Also, she's been very pushy about me accepting the other company's offer, to the point where I hope to never go through one again. I would rather negotiate directly with the other company.

Anybody got some experiences they can relate or other thoughts?
Old 03-11-2007, 05:00 PM

Default Re: ? about counteroffers after you put in 2-weeks notice

I think you answered the other question at this point...

I don't trust her because she doesn't make any money if I don't take the new job.

Headhunter's wallet > Your future career
Old 03-11-2007, 05:02 PM

It's dependant on your read. What did they think of you over the last few years. What is your review/promotion history like. What are the reasons you were leaving.

Generally, I'd be leery of changing course after I'd already made a reasoned decision to eject.
Old 03-11-2007, 05:08 PM

Whoa, the elusive Clarkmeister is back?
Old 03-11-2007, 05:13 PM

[ QUOTE ]
It's dependant on your read. What did they think of you over the last few years. What is your review/promotion history like. What are the reasons you were leaving.

Generally, I'd be leery of changing course after I'd already made a reasoned decision to eject.

[/ QUOTE ]

The main reason I'm leaving is because the firm is very top heavy and it will take much longer for me to get into management. In my 2+ years there plus intern while in school, I have received a few raises and a bonus, but no promotions. They've been pleased with my work, and I have done a good job meeting deadlines and such.

The firm I'm looking to join is new in the area but established elsewhere. I will be the first structural engineer on board in the new office and I imagine I would be a project manager in about 2 years if I perform.

I seriously doubt I will change my decision to leave. However, I don't know what their plan is tomorrow...and a proper promotion and salary upgrade could possibly tip the scales.
Old 03-11-2007, 05:21 PM

I wouldnt trust the headhunter, if they offer more money, why not negotiate your way into a management position, or is this not done at corps?
Old 03-11-2007, 05:21 PM

Clark's post seems sound. Once you have given notice that you might leave, you become more identifiable as a potential future liability. Some companies just think that a guy saying he's thinking about leaving is a bad reflection on the people who hired him, etc. You might get shunted into less desirable or responsible duties, or they may be just waiting for a chance to get rid of you.

That's just idle speculation of course. But I have seen some managers get very angry at anyone who talks about moving on, and develop a real grudge against them. It's not beyond some of that type, perhaps, to keep you on just long enough so that they can be the one to "break up" with you first.

Also, if they pay you more, they may well expect you to work a lot more, to justify the increase. Meaning, some don't feel that an increase is justified unless they thought of it themselves, even if another company proves you are worth more by trying to hire you away. How would you feel about having suddenly raised expectations regarding work hours?
Old 03-11-2007, 05:32 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Clark's post seems sound. Once you have given notice that you might leave, you become more identifiable as a potential future liability. Some companies just think that a guy saying he's thinking about leaving is a bad reflection on the people who hired him, etc. You might get shunted into less desirable or responsible duties, or they may be just waiting for a chance to get rid of you.

That's just idle speculation of course. But I have seen some managers get very angry at anyone who talks about moving on, and develop a real grudge against them. It's not beyond some of that type, perhaps, to keep you on just long enough so that they can be the one to "break up" with you first.

Also, if they pay you more, they may well expect you to work a lot more, to justify the increase. Meaning, some don't feel that an increase is justified unless they thought of it themselves, even if another company proves you are worth more by trying to hire you away. How would you feel about having suddenly raised expectations regarding work hours?

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm hourly, so if I work more I will get paid more. Also, my position is in a very niche part of structural engineering...and it would be near impossible to replace me with someone at my experience level and low hourly rate. They'll likely have to hire a fresh grad that they'll have to train for 6 months to a year.

I'm also the cheapest person in the department as far as doing work on engineering projects. The next person above me has about 12 years of seniority over me, and there is no one below me. This tends to make me believe that they would really like to hold onto me, which has already been expressed.
Old 03-11-2007, 05:36 PM

the headhunter is not looking out for your best interest. if you don't take the other job, they don't get paid, plain and simple.
Old 03-11-2007, 05:38 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I wouldnt trust the headhunter, if they offer more money, why not negotiate your way into a management position, or is this not done at corps?

[/ QUOTE ]

This isn't really possible IMO. My department only has 5 people (department manager, 2 senior engineers (one is retiring at the end of this year), 1 CAD tech, and me). Everyone I work with is about 10-20 years older than me.

They also have different definitions of what a manager is and it would be damn near impossible to make management without at least 8 years in the business.