Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > EDF
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-22-2007, 07:48 PM

Default Autism

I don't know much about autism, but I've seen autistic people and when they are swaying and making random grunts and noises ("low functioning autistics"), while I realize they are very different than retarded people my general impression is not that they are engaged in any really deep thought or anything. This video and story really gave me a whole new view of this stuff. Would be interested in any stories you guys have about autistic people you know.

YouTube video (Make sure you keep watching until the "translation" part starts at least)

CNN article (the second video link "Watch Amanda communicate in her own way" profile by Sanjay Gupta and the blog post by her are especially interesting)
Old 02-22-2007, 08:02 PM

Default Re: Autism

I have spent several years volunteering, working and lobbying at the Massachusetts State House for people with special needs and mental health problems. Autism being one of the bigger issues. Some of the most amazing people (and difficult work) I have ever encountered.

Maybe this belongs in the documentry thread but I would really recommend the movie "How's Your News?" It was produced by South Park's own Parker and Stone and one of the people in the film was the basis for TIMMY!

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0298917/
A Documentary chronicling the travels of a team of reporters and crew across America in a hand painted RV. Each of the reporters have a disability ranging from Down's Syndrome to spastic cerebal palsy and their own style for gathering news. The basic approach is "man on the street" reporting and the interactions are sometimes hysterical, sometimes confusing but always honest.
Old 02-22-2007, 08:04 PM

I just watched the Amanda thing last night. Previous to that, CNN ran a documentary on another young lady who was thought to be severely retarded until she learned how to communicate at the age of 13. I think it was called "Autism is a World". She was then proved to be highly intelligent and is now attending college, although she sometimes has to wear a helmet to prevent injury from when she involuntarily hits herself.

I think the documentary tagline says it well: "When you meet her, she does not make eye contact. She obsessively attacks your buttons, endlessly stands at the faucet and watches water pour over her hand. You would not approach this person." Anyhow, Sue Rubin, who the documentary is about, gives a really unique look into the world of autistic people (or those we tend to 'ignore') and how it makes them feel. I watch it whenever I see it on CNN.

Interesting to note, I think I've met more people with Asperger's Syndrome (a variety of autism) via message boards than any other way. Correlation?
Old 02-22-2007, 08:05 PM

Tangentially related, but my sister works as a teaching aide for a 10 year old autistic kid. She's told some pretty funny stories about him. He apparently likes to go into the bathroom and take off all his clothes. He is also VERY upset about the five pubic hairs he has, repeatedly mentioning that "needs to get rid of these hairs. I'm an alien." He also told my sister that he no longer liked her and wasn't going to do what she said:

"Why's that, Cam?"
"Well, I like girls, and I like Yugioh cards. You won't let me play with my Yugioh cards, and you won't let me touch the girls."
"Hmmm. That's too bad, Cam. I think I'm going to have to keep you in during recess."
"Oh. I like recess. I guess I'll listen to you."

One thing that I think I must have picked up from The curious incident . . . is that autistic people frequently don't lie. Apparently Cam does, though he'll usually come clean if you ask him a couple of times, saying "Okay, you got me!"
Old 02-22-2007, 08:08 PM

Asperger's is one of the more prevelant forms and it also is one of the most functional forms. That's probably part of the reason.
Old 02-22-2007, 08:24 PM

Thanks ElD. Really interesting.
Old 02-22-2007, 09:25 PM

I've recently read a couple of articles on Autism in National Geographic and I believe Discovery Magazine. It's really alarming to see the unexplained growth in Autism and actually makes me weary of having children.

here is a USA today article, obv not as good as the ones found in more in depth publications

Link

Here is a movie about Autism made by Don Imus who along with his wife has been very active in trying to get more funds directed towards research

Link
Old 02-22-2007, 09:38 PM

[censored]

lots of stuff I've read/heard from people who seem to know what they're talking about indicate that the increase in diagnosed cases aren't necessarily that more people have it, but more that docs are getting better at diagnosing it. Also there are more conditions/symptoms that are now included under the "autism" umbrella (for example, aspergers was not considered or recognized as autism until sometime in the 90s).
Old 02-22-2007, 09:39 PM

I know this is kind of weak of me to make the following claims without the links to back it up, but from what I understand, a significant part of the rise in autism are two things:

1) Better recognition of autistic children, instead of calling them mentally retarded

2) Even more importantly, a broadening of the definition of autism within studies. Clearly this is going to raise the incidence of this disorder, without necessarily indicating a true increase.

Edit: Curse you, jba.

Anyway. . .

There is sadly some secondary gain associated with the diagnosis of autism. Schools get more money for aid if their students have formal diagnoses. Parents get money from the government for health care if their chilfren are autistic. It's sad and cynical, but true.
Old 02-22-2007, 09:42 PM

A couple of years back there was a lot of controversy about whether children's vaccines were causing a rise in autism cases. The hypothesis was that one of the additives to these vaccines contained mercury and might be causing it. link