Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Health and Fitness
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-06-2007, 03:35 PM

Default Re: New lifting routine - critique?

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
but it all seems to be directed to my old college self who worked out 6 days/wk for 2 hours, not two (relative) geezers trying to better ourselves in 45 minutes 3x/week.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm also a 37 year old geezer and lift 2x/week. I now deadlift both workouts and front squat in one.

[/ QUOTE ]

You may find (eventually) that DL twice a week is too much and change one of those to a lighter DL or other pull, as well as taking the occasional week off from DL.

[/ QUOTE ]

I found that out pretty quickly...on my back day I deadlift lighter weights and more reps. My back has been bothering me so that's been easier to cut down the weight. Also beginning to stretch my back, legs, hips more. Back issues are related to having a bad knee which led to tight hips which led to back issues. Funny how that's all connected.

Since I started squatting & lunges knee has been responding much better as leg strength improved.
Old 11-06-2007, 03:59 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I know we don't do legs but I am not really interested in bulking up there - I played soccer and still have lots of muscle in my legs.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think everyone who's ever lifted has been told that squats are the backbone of any program, and yet a majority of folks decide that given the limited amount of time they have and their desire for bigger arms/chest and their contentment with the size/shape of their legs that they should do bench/curls. Pure folly.

Anyway. Get your diet in order, and whatever gets you into the gym or working out is a step in the right direction.

[/ QUOTE ]

I never played a sport in HS/college that had a lifting program, so I've never really been formally told anything one way or the other on squats until now, and certainly never shown how to do them. In college - yeah I was just lifting to look good. No formal instruction at all.

From a newbie's perspective these exercises are quite intimidating to learn, I will watch the videos and stuff. I'm not resistant to change here, that is why I am asking you guys. I wish I learned this when I was younger - I ran every day so the lifting was more of a side thing to look good.

When I went through the links in the sticky I thought the "starting strength" post was just trying to sell a book, didn't go through it all, now that I went back that link looks like pure gold.

Should I get a trainer for 5 sessions (this is at a 24 hr fitness) to teach us technique?
Old 11-06-2007, 04:03 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I really want to see this barbell butterfly exercise.

But yeah, blah blah this workout blows hard.

[/ QUOTE ]

So maybe I am calling it the wrong name. I see people doing this all the time so whatever it is is pretty common.

Lay on flat bench with barbell in each hand straight up in air. Extend arms back while bending elbows so that elbows are bent 90 degrees and upper arms are parallel to floor, rinse and repeat. What is that called?

Oh, and thanks about the lat pulldowns issue, didn't know you aren't supposed to go behind head, but I do know enough to know not to cheat with momentum.
Old 11-06-2007, 04:15 PM

OK guys, so let's say I embrace this starting strength program (and somehow either through the links or a trainer learn how to do it all):

I already have at home the following in a dedicated exercise room:
bench press adjustable to incline with appropriate weights
sets of dumbells from 5 to 50 pounds
curl bar
a separate small bench to do barbell exercises on

I can't put a squat apparatus up there but I have a third garage spot I can put one in - I wouldn't want to do the whole routine in the garage since it is 115 in vegas in the summer but I could do some stuff out there and do the rest in the house.

Can I just set myself up at home with the above scenerio? The 24 hr fitness is packed at the times that my lifting buddy can go - I don't think there is any way I can do the progam most of you are proposing there - I am on a 2-10am sleep schedule so can't go in the AM with him.
Old 11-06-2007, 04:29 PM

Just to clarify why people are ragging on your wording- dumbells are the smaller weights meant to be held in one hand. Barbells are the big bars that you put plates on and are meant to be used with both hands. You can do a dumbell fly, but a barbell fly would be very difficult indeed.
Old 11-06-2007, 04:32 PM

[ QUOTE ]

Lay on flat bench with barbell in each hand straight up in air. Extend arms back while bending elbows so that elbows are bent 90 degrees and upper arms are parallel to floor, rinse and repeat. What is that called?

[/ QUOTE ]

Sounds like a "skull crusher". I would cut it completely from your workout as it's an isolated tricep focus which is not really necessary.

You should probably skip the trainer, as unfortunately they are just as likely to tell you horribly wrong things as help you. If you can somehow find a trainer that you know is good & up on modern techniques, that would be helpful.
Old 11-06-2007, 04:42 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Just to clarify why people are ragging on your wording- dumbells are the smaller weights meant to be held in one hand. Barbells are the big bars that you put plates on and are meant to be used with both hands. You can do a dumbell fly, but a barbell fly would be very difficult indeed.

[/ QUOTE ]

LOL [img]/images/graemlins/blush.gif[/img] thx
Now I get the sarcasm of that other post. Woosh - right over my head!
Old 11-06-2007, 04:58 PM

[ QUOTE ]
From a newbie's perspective these exercises are quite intimidating to learn, I will watch the videos and stuff. I'm not resistant to change here, that is why I am asking you guys. I wish I learned this when I was younger - I ran every day so the lifting was more of a side thing to look good.

When I went through the links in the sticky I thought the "starting strength" post was just trying to sell a book, didn't go through it all, now that I went back that link looks like pure gold.

Should I get a trainer for 5 sessions (this is at a 24 hr fitness) to teach us technique?

[/ QUOTE ]
I completely understand. You will quite frankly suck at squats for a while. Get the movement down by practicing bodyweight squats (at home etc). Get down between your legs, not over them. I played ice hockey and soccer in my childhood and high school, and I will tell you that although you may be fast or have big legs, they are probably weak as [censored]. Mine certainly were. You will also find that your hamstrings and glutes are weaker than your quads, which deep squats will certainly help remedy.

The link would probably be copyright infringement if it weren't ok'ed by the author. It is gold.

I would make sure to interview them before signing up for lessons. Let them know you just want feedback on your form for the specific exercises, not some instruction on their own isolation exercises. Make sure that if they are teaching you squats they are doing it correctly. I know that's kinda hard in your situation, but watch this video:
http://video.google.com/videoplay?do...ting&hl=en

and some of the youtube videos I posted in the november monthly [censored] thread. Those are good examples of squat form.

I imagine they will probably try to tell you different exercises to perform as well. I once asked a guy to check my back straightness during deadlifts, since I didn't have a partner or eyes in back of my head, and then he started asking me why I was doing them, like it was a poor exercise, or I was an idiot. Then he started showing me how to do stiff-legged deadlifts. How do you train at a gym and not know how to do a regular goddamned deadlift? I dunno, guess I'm just ranting here.

OK, rant over. 24 hr trainers can be annoying.
Old 11-06-2007, 05:06 PM

If you got a squat rack, squat stands, or powercage you could do all the exercises in the program. Maybe some rubber mats would be nice if you need to drop the weights for deadlifts, but for now you should be fine.
Old 11-07-2007, 04:09 AM

Thanks for the help, all.
I'll post a six month trip report!