Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Medium Stakes
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 11-13-2007, 01:31 AM

Default 5/10 NL live double checkraise and possible sick river call

Foxwoods 5/10, 10-handed.

Villain is a loose player with a wide raising range preflop. He is a decent player overall and is capable of big moves. His moves are sometimes a little too big and crazy though. He views me as a smart player who is also capable of a lot of stuff.

I have 4500, villain covers.

I am on the button with A[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]Q[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img].

Preflop
Villain limps, someone else limps, and I raise to 65. Only villain calls.

Flop (150): Q[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]T[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]9[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]
Villain checks, I bet 100, and villain raises to 300. I feel like his range at this point is just too wide for me to fold so I call. He does like to bluff when he sees an opportunity and me c-betting after raising from the button seems like a good one.

Turn (750): 4[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]
Villain checks. This leads me to believe that he didn't have a big hand on the flop. I am pretty sure he was on some kind of bluff and is deciding it is not worth firing another bullet. I decide that instead of making a big bet here, I will make a very weak-looking one so that he will think I am conflicted between protecting my hand and getting to showdown cheap. Then he will pounce on me. Something just told me this would work right here. So I bet 300, and he did indeed raise me to 1000. I call, planning to call whatever he bets on most or even all rivers.

River (2750): J[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]
Yucky river card. Everything got there but air. He bets 2000. Time to do some optimistic analysis to rationalize a call. Recall that I am ruling out any made hands on he flop. Also, because of his bet size and the fact that he didn't think too much before betting, I am ruling out any two pair or set. This leaves straights or basically nothing. For straights, he could have 88, 68s, 78s, 89s, 8Ts, KQ. For nothing, he could have AJs, 67s, A9, maybe even 22-77. I don't know. Somebody please tell me I can call here... [img]/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img]