Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Poker Beats, Brags, and Variance
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

View Poll Results: What percentage of guys could you beat in a fight?
0-10 37 6.25%
10-20 51 8.61%
20-30 81 13.68%
30-40 58 9.80%
40-50 45 7.60%
50-60 49 8.28%
60-70 70 11.82%
70-80 74 12.50%
80-90 31 5.24%
90-100 35 5.91%
Dunno / Show results 61 10.30%
Voters: 592. You may not vote on this poll

Old 11-16-2007, 12:12 PM

Default Re: party vs stars difference

[ QUOTE ]
You denied that I addressed that immediately after I answered your question. I mentioned that a sample of 100 11-out draws would very likely be conclusive for some types of patterns. I stated that more hands would be required for other types of patterns which differ less from random. That's about as specific as I can get when you still haven't specified what patterns you claim are so obvious.

[/ QUOTE ]

You are playing games here. The point of my question is that you are not likely to procure enough hands to prove or disprove anything.

See if you can at least do this. Determine how large a sample of hands you would need to prove that PStars provides a fair game in limit holdem from deal hand conclusion.

In other words, start with the assumption that PStars does not provide a fair game, then set out to prove that assumption false. Addressing this issue should be close to a trivial matter for a mathematician such as yourself.

To say that I am not taking an honest position when you are not willing to honestly address my request for sample size requirements is laughable. You have put yourself in a no-win situation, and you know it.

Regarding your request for a wager, you need to address the following:

What is the maximum you are willing to wager?

Are you willing to place your end in escrow?

Are you willing to commit to writing the terms of any such wager?

In what country do you live?

What are the terms of the statistical test you would propose?

FYI: I am undertaking a change of residence over the next week or so. As such, my ability to respond in a timely manner may be disrupted. But rest assured, I will not abandon this little chat.

BTW: I highly doubt that you are a mathematician. I can believe that you are a mathematics hobbyist, though. In my book, a PhD. in mathematics is the threshold requirement for proclaiming oneself a mathematician. I know several, and you my friend fall far short of the calm, logical, inquisitive characteristics that they all share. You are far too emotional and too willing to avoid my serious questions regarding the needs of any rigorous statistical test. My guess is that you hold at best an undergraduate degree in mathematics and that you are nothing more than a forum showboater.

Address the issues presented above. Take them seriously. I do.
Old 11-16-2007, 05:27 PM

pzhon,

I'm rather curious about how you would propose dealing with the wire act?

If you don't understand what I'm asking, then you should not solicit gambling wagers, especially using a communication device not under your control, i.e., the 2P2 forum server.

I'm all ears, my brilliant friend.
Old 11-16-2007, 07:16 PM

[ QUOTE ]
pzhon,

If you don't understand what I'm asking, then you should not solicit gambling wagers, especially using a communication device not under your control, i.e., the 2P2 forum server.

[/ QUOTE ]

shut the [censored] up. everything you have posted is retarded. The bet isnt a poker bet. My friend has been on stars for 7 years and has over 21millions HH. He lives in a country in europe where its not illeagle. WEre betting on if stars is "fixed, cheating, blah blah, what ever you claiming"; were not playing internet poker.
Old 11-16-2007, 09:19 PM

Conspiracy theorists here are retarded. Confront your mediocre/[censored] poker skills and deal with them. Conjuring false dragons solves nothing and you just look like an idiot swinging a sword at air.

RE: OP, I never got to play at Party but from what I heard it was/is MUCH softer than FTP or Stars. In the $27's, $60's and $114's @ Stars there's at least 4 regulars per game, sometimes up to 6-7. The profit margin is so thin, if it exists at all (its existence depends on your skill level). Also, competition becomes tougher as people - even recreational players - seek resources to improve their game. Maybe they realize calling open shoves w/ AJo in early stages isn't quite as possible as they first thought.
Old 11-17-2007, 05:16 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Maybe they realize calling open shoves w/ AJo in early stages isn't quite as possible as they first thought.

[/ QUOTE ]

[ ] will ever happen in 27$ SNGs
Old 11-17-2007, 05:34 AM

why don't you guys shut up and just get the [censored] better instead of blaming a site.
Old 11-17-2007, 06:06 AM

clearly stars (or anywhere for that matter?) is more difficult to play at than party. but what about comparing stars to FTP? i have to say, i've ran so so much worse at stars than i have anywhere, including FTP. i'm a big winner at every site i've ever played except PS -- where i've probably been about breakeven.

honestly, when i lose an all-in or otherwise big hand on stars, barring the inevitable situations (AA vs KK or some other cooler), it usually comes with my opponent playing the hand badly in some way. same as on FTP or anywhere, really. so it's not as if i feel like the competition "isn't bad enough", there. it's really plenty awful. i find it hard to believe there's much of a difference between the difficult level at PS vs FTP. i just sincerely run terribly there
Old 11-17-2007, 02:33 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
pzhon,

[/ QUOTE ]

shut the [censored] up. everything you have posted is retarded. The bet isnt a poker bet. My friend has been on stars for 7 years and has over 21millions HH. He lives in a country in europe where its not illeagle. WEre betting on if stars is "fixed, cheating, blah blah, what ever you claiming"; were not playing internet poker.

[/ QUOTE ]

Well, my friend, I live in the U.S. Thus U.S. laws affect me, as well as 2P2, given its base of operations. Therefore the U.S. wire act is implicated for pzhon's solicitation.

I'll just wait for pzhon's response.

Thank you for your interest.
Old 11-17-2007, 03:11 PM

Pzhon,

Here's a quick description/clarification of my experience at PStars.

Over the past several years, I have played at PStars for three discrete periods, with at least 12 months absence from PStars between periods of play there. All play has been LHE, and almost all of that has been 6-max.

Each time I started a period of play, I ran well for the first 7,500 to 10,000 hands, usually winning at a rate between 3BB/100 and 4.5BB/100. Then the fun starts. Suckout after suckout after suckout. The first and the second time this happened, I just left PStars, both times with an odd feeling that something just was not right with the play at the site.

My third period of play, however, I decided to see just how long play could continue to be such a suckfest. Well I found out.

Now, what could be happening. I win at every other site at which I've played, over long periods of time. Why the different result at PStars?

My suspicion is that PStars actively seeks to rid the site of players who demonstrate significantly better skill than other players. PStars makes money from rake. Having a more even distribution of skill among those playing at the site means that the money is traded with greater frequency among a greater number of players. The result is more transactions and thus more rake.

Now, how could PStars or any site for that matter accomplish the task of punishing the more skilled players and have that punishment remain close to undetectable by statistical analysis?

Here's how I think it could be done.

1. Deal hands, not cards.
2. Once all possible hands from deal to showdown are computed, place them in distribution bins according to the starting hand -- AKs, for example.
3. Identify the general range of starting hands of the player desired to be punished.
4. Distribute the hands to the player in a truly random fashion with respect to the starting hand, but pull those hands from the end of the distribution bin that has a greater frequency of losing, relative to the other starting hands that will be dealt and the remaining cards that are known to be dealt for the flop, turn and river.
5. Let the playing take its natural course. Some times the targeted player's opponents will not play a hand that will win at showdown with a suckout, other times they will.
6. The end result is that the targeted player is fighting quite an uphill battle to remain a winning player.

Such a scheme for ridding a site of more skilled players would be almost impossible to detect, as the overwhelming majority of players will not be treated to the experience.

Hence, the targeted player just looks like he hit a really, really bad bit of luck. As I stated in the start of this outline, this most recent experience is my third at PStars. If it were my first, or even my second, I would not have responded to the OP as I did.

If you have not run as I have from the start of your account at PStars, then I would not be surprised that your experience at the site seems reasonable. Anyone who starts out as a modest winner at PStars will likely be left alone.

Now, you tell me how you can possible apply statistical analysis to examine what I have described.
Old 11-17-2007, 03:17 PM

You're still claiming that suckouts happen more often to you (and perhaps to other "good players") than they should, right? If so, that's a strictly testable hypothesis.